DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The search is on for whatever is creating the smell of natural gas at a Dallas high school. Students at South Oak Cliff High said they smelled gas Tuesday, and Atmos Energy is back at the campus today.READ MORE: $9,000 In Funeral Reimbursement From FEMA Available For COVID-19 Deaths
Principal Marian Willard said Atmos crews were back at the school to try and determine if there is indeed a leak. Gas on the campus has been shut off since Tuesday.
The school cafeteria can’t prepare food without natural gas. Students were served a cold breakfast this morning and the school will have food brought in for lunch.
Yesterday a number of schoolchildren said the smell made them ill. Student Eric Garnett said, “I smelled the gas and it made me real sick. I have asthma and I have seizures. I could feel myself going into panic mode because of the gas smell. I just couldn’t handle it.”READ MORE: 'Verdict Not Justice, It's Accountability': North Texas Leaders React To Derek Chauvin Guilty On All Counts
Principle Willard said that parents were notified, through an electronic phone message, about the situation yesterday. But some parents said they never received any type of notification.
Father Maxie Johnson said the issues in the last 48 hours are just the latest of a laundry list of problems that have plagued the campus. “It’s ridiculous. The deplorable conditions at South Oak Cliff High School have been communicated and we’ve conveyed it [to administrators].”
After spending several hours on the campus Tuesday, Atmos crews determined that the smell was coming from the new carpet installed at the school. No gas leak was ever found.MORE NEWS: Derek Chauvin Guilty On All 3 Counts In George Floyd’s Death
(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)