CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte lifted its midnight curfew, a sign of the possible calming of the unrest that’s gripped North Carolina’s largest city since the shooting death of a black man by police last week.READ MORE: Suspect In Custody After Child Found Dead In Street In Dallas Neighborhood
A weekend without street violence was highlighted with the city hosting the NFL game between the Carolina Panthers and the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.
In a statement Sunday evening, Mayor Jennifer Roberts says that effective immediately the curfew imposed is terminated. A midnight to 6 a.m. curfew has been in effect since Thursday after the protests turned violent, and National Guardsmen have been stationed throughout downtown each night.READ MORE: Police: Missing Tiger In Houston Found Safe, Healthy
Protests continued for a sixth day since 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott was shot and killed Tuesday after a confrontation with Charlotte police. The first two nights were violent, with more than a dozen police officers injured.
Protesters tried to block traffic on Interstate 277 through the city’s downtown Sunday night. Authorities said one protester was struck by a police all-terrain vehicle, but 26-year-old Donnell Jones of Missouri wasn’t hurt. He was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.DFW Weather: Forecast Has Rain Chances Every Day This Upcoming Week
(© Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)