By Vanessa Brown | CBSDFW.COM

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – An engaged man was shot and killed in far south Arlington early Thursday morning, and his fiancee was taken into custody for the killing. However, she has since been released based on the couple’s past history. The incident happened just after 3 a.m. in the 1300 block of Cloyne Drive, near Webb Community Park.

The woman called police and said that she had shot her fiancé at the home that they shared. When officers arrived at the scene on Thursday morning, she reportedly walked out of the building with her hands in the air. Her fiancé was found dead inside of the house with a gunshot wound.

Officials with the Arlington Police Department said that the shooting appeared to be “a domestic-related homicide.”

Police have responded to the couple’s home a few times before, and said that there was a history of domestic violence between the man and woman. Based on evidence that has been collected, authorities added, that appears to be what happened again in this shooting.

Investigators are still trying to determine what events led up to the outburst of violence, and if the 27-year-old woman acted in self-defense.

The couple was new to the neighborhood — only there for about the last six months — and rented the home. They had two kids including a young daughter. They lived in the home with the man’s college-aged nephew, who was questioned by investigators as a witness in this case. The kids were taken to a relative’s home.

The man’s heartbroken sister described her 32-year-old brother as a sweet-natured person who struggled emotionally and was taking medication to help. She said that he was a Marine veteran. “They had issues, but we never really talked about it because we would always defend the girls,” stated sister Lorena Canales. “Please make sure that if something is happening, that you’re not letting him do anything to you.”

Meanwhile, those who live nearby are trying to understand how their neighborhood became a crime scene. “I just can’t believe this is actually happening,” said Luanne Humphreys on Thursday morning. “They were just nice ‘hi, how you doing’ across the street kind of neighbors.”

Another woman who lives next door to the family heard a commotion coming from the house before the shooting incident, but was shocked to hear about what ultimately happened. “They was young, but they was active and friendly. I don’t know what could have happened for her to do that,” she said. “I’m very shaken up.”