UPDATED | July 19, 2017 3:55 PM

NEW MEXICO (CBS NEWS/AP) – The parents of a Texas teen who died after she was accidentally electrocuted inside a bathtub are sharing one of the last photos their daughter texted before her death in the hopes of warning people about the dangers of water and electricity.

 

READ MORE: Drug Dog Sniffs Out Illegal Narcotics, Unloaded Handgun In Jacksboro High School Student's Car

Police released the last picture that Madison Coe took while in the bathtub. (credit: Lovington Police Department)

The photo shows a phone charger plugged into a frayed extension cord next to the bathtub. Police believe Madison Coe sent that photo to a friend minutes before she died. She sent the photo with the message: “When you use and (sic) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you’re in the bath.”

Last week, Coe’s family told CBS affiliate KRQE that Coe’s Samsung Edge Plus fell into the bathtub.

Madison Coe died July 9, 2017 at her father’s house in Lovington, New Mexico. (credit: Coe family)

Felisha Owens, Madison’s step-mom, said eighth-grader had just graduated from middle school in Lubbock was spending the summer with her father in Lovington before heading off to high school in Houston. Then something happened that changed their lives forever.

♦♦♦ Click Here To Read The Rest Of The Story On cbsnews.com ♦♦♦

Lovington Police Sgt. David Miranda said Wednesday the teen’s family hopes the image will raise awareness of the dangers that the combination of electricity, water and portable electronic devices can pose, especially to younger people who are heavy users of cellphones and other portable electronic devices.

Investigators believe Coe may have been electrocuted after touching a frayed portion of the extension cord.

READ MORE: Police: Weekend Shootings In Dallas' Deep Ellum Left 2 Dead, Teenaged Suspect In Custody

Miranda said evidence indicates the phone adaptor cord and phone had been disconnected from the extension cord at the time of the incident so authorities believe the damaged extension cord caused the electrocution.

“While the child took precautions to keep the connection of the cords dry, it is believed she was not aware of a significant area of fraying to the extension cord,” police said in a news release.

Investigators also noted that there’s no indication the teen’s cellphone was ever immersed in water.

Coe was an incoming high school freshman from Lubbock, Texas. She was visiting her father in Lovington, New Mexico, when she died.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission also is reviewing the case. The commission has yet to release any findings.

(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

MORE NEWS: 101 Texas Lawmakers Who Supported/Voted For New Abortion Law Being Threatened