ANDOVER, Mass. (AP) – A puppy that collapsed after ingesting some sort of opioid in Massachusetts has survived after being given an overdose reversal drug more often administered to humans.

Peter Thibault tells The Eagle-Tribune he was walking his 3-month-old yellow Labrador named Zoey in Andover last week when the dog picked up a pack of cigarettes on the ground and soon passed out.

READ MORE: Hebron High School Teacher Jared Stites Arrested For Allegedly Sexually Assaulting Student

He carried her home and when she got worse, Thibault took Zoey to a veterinary hospital.

After hearing the story, a veterinarian administered several doses of naloxone over 12 hours.

READ MORE: Border Patrol Agents Seize Nearly 900 Pounds Of Marijuana From Smugglers Crossing Rio Grande River

Veterinarians think Zoey ingested fentanyl because heroin would have likely taken longer to leave her system and would have required more naloxone.

The hospital’s medical director says it’s not the first time they treated a dog for an opioid overdose.

MORE NEWS: Manhunt Underway For 22-Year-Old Man Accused Of Shooting At Garland Police Officers

(© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)