DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – An apartment complex near the area of a deadly gas explosion was evacuated Sunday due to a gas leak.
Dallas Fire-Rescue said about 90 units in an apartment complex in the 3400 block of Hidalgo Drive were evacuated.
Atmos Energy has been working on surveying the area after a house explosion that took the life of a 12-year-old girl on Friday. The explosion happened on Espanola Drive.
The gas leak is the latest in natural gas problems identified in the same neighborhood in Northwest Dallas.
Fear is setting in for people who’ve already seen two house fires and an explosion in their neighborhood caused by gas issues.
“Yeah, because you never know what can happen. At any point, something could explode,” said resident Natalie Amaya.
Amaya is a resident at the Chapel Creek apartments that were evacuated Sunday afternoon. Atmos Energy discovered the gas leak as it worked to investigate issues in the neighborhood after the deadly house explosion that killed 12-year-old Linda Rogers.
Linda was remembered at a vigil Sunday evening by members of her cheer squad and her parents, who spoke for the first time since the incident on Friday.
Maria Rogers asked for prayers, so she could bury her daughter on Friday.
Multiple incidents and Linda’s death prompted federal investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board to arrive at the site of the explosion to investigate.
“We will identify the probably cause or cause of the accident and what steps operators and people can take to minimize this from happening again” said Ravi Chhatre with the NTSB.
The lawyer for the Rogers family said there is video of the explosion from the family’s security cameras. They will be reviewing it and possibly making it public.