ARLINGTON, TX (CBSDFW.COM) — An veteran Arlington police officer was expected to survive after being shot during a traffic stop late Friday. Police returned fire striking the shooter who later died at the hospital.

Officials said in a tweet that police were working a “critical incident in 1700 block of West Randol Mill Rd.” just after 10:00 p.m. when the shooting occurred.

“One of our officers was struck by gunfire and transported to a hospital,” officials said in the tweet.

Arlington Police Lieutenant Chris Cook told CBS 11 a male officer was taken to Medical City Arlington and was expected to survive. His family was with him at the hospital.

Cook said the officer was shot in the lower extremities so his vest did not help.

A female driver and two other males that were in the back of the suspect vehicle were taken into police custody but later released.

Arlington Police Chief Will Johnson sent an update via Twitter at 12:08 a.m. “I am at the hospital with our @ArlingtonPD Officer who was shot tonight during [a] traffic stop,” said Johnson. “I have spoken to our officer and they are receiving excellent care. Keep our team and family in your thoughts and prayers.”

Cook said that a police officer immediately called for backup after pulling over a Toyota Corolla that was occupied by four people. Officials said two other officers arrived shortly after the request for back-up.

Cook said the officer asked the female driver to step out of the vehicle.

It was at that time Cook said a male passenger in the front seat got out of the vehicle and began to flee on foot.

One of the backup officers gave chase. “During the foot pursuit, the suspect produced a handgun and fired at the back-up officer striking him,” officials said in a statement released early Saturday. “The backup officer fell to the ground after being struck. The other male officer discharged his firearm striking the suspect.”

The suspect was taken to Arlington Memorial Hospital and was later pronounced dead.

“The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office will release the identity of the deceased once next of kin have been identified,” said Arlington officials.

Cook said a Tom Thumb security guard saw the incident and assisted the officer. He did not elaborate on the security guard’s actions.

Cook said they were talking to witnesses, suspects and reviewing body and dash cam video early Saturday morning.

“The other three occupants are cooperating with investigators and have been released at this time,” police said in the statement. They have not released the name of the officer.