DETROIT (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Sweethearts — those little sugar hearts with messages like “Kiss Me” and “Be Mine” — won’t be on store shelves this Valentine’s Day.
The New England Confectionary Co. — or Necco — had been making the popular candies since 1886. But the company filed for bankruptcy protection last spring.READ MORE: Shooting And Flipped Vehicle Results In Section Of LBJ Freeway In Balch Springs Shut Down For Hours
Ohio-based Spangler Candy Co. bought Necco in May. But the company said Thursday that it didn’t have time to bring Sweethearts to market this Valentine’s season.READ MORE: Suspect Charged In Connection With Gas Explosion At Dallas Apartment Complex
CEO Kirk Vashaw said Spangler wants to make sure Sweethearts “meet customer expectations” when they return to market. He didn’t say what changes Spangler plans to make or when they’ll go back on sale.
Competitors like Brach’s are still making conversation hearts. But online retailer CandyStore.com says Sweethearts were by far the most popular brand and the most popular candy — even beating out chocolate — in 2018.MORE NEWS: Amid Fight Over Redistricting, Texas Legislature's 3rd Special Session Ends With Passage Of Bipartisan Bills
(© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)