UPDATED: March 6, 2019  11:05 AM

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A busy start for emergency crews in Fort Worth after an early morning fire at an apartment complex near Hulen Street and Interstate-20.

Firefighters were called to the Southern Oaks Apartments around 2:15 a.m. and found smoke billowing from a unit. The 2-alarm fire quickly spread, sending flames shooting from the roof.

READ MORE: Fort Worth Firefighters Save 7 People Trapped Inside Burning Home

(credit: CBSDFW.COM)

The cause of the fire isn’t known, but investigators believe it started on the first floor.

First-responders have some basic winter weather advice for everyone.

“If you are using a fireplace, you want to make sure you get that checked out by a professional, make sure that it’s in proper working order,” urged Fort Worth Fire Department spokesperson Mike Drivdahl.

READ MORE: Dallas Cowboys Defensive Coordinator Dan Quinn Says He's Staying With The Team For 2022

(credit: CBSDFW.COM)

“The next thing we always worry about in the winter months is carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of incomplete burning through gas appliances. If you’re using an oven or a stove to heat your home we strongly urge you please…. that’s not a heating appliance, that’s for cooking.”

A firefighter’s home was among the eight units damaged. Officials say half were damaged by fire and half by smoke and water.

The American Red Cross is at the complex working with residents who have been displaced.

MORE NEWS: Dallas Homicide Detectives Investigating Fatal Shooting Of Juan Jairo Toran, 19

No injuries were reported.