FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Nine Fort Worth firefighters were taken to a hospital Friday afternoon after being exposed to a pesticide while investigating a commercial fire, officials said.

According to the fire department, firefighters responded to a commercial structure fire in the 2900 block of Shotts Street at around 4:45 p.m. When they arrived to the scene, they saw a heavy haze inside a building.

READ MORE: Texas Teachers Are Making Surprise, In-Person Visits To Students Struggling With Online Learning

As they were investigating the source of the haze, firefighters learned that the building was being fumigated at the time. The fire investigators immediately left the building upon learning the haze was a pesticide.

READ MORE: 'The Right Thing To Do,' Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick Requests ERCOT To Rectify $16 Billion Error During Storm

Officials said nine firefighters were exposed to the pesticide and had to be transported to the hospital for evaluation. They were released Friday evening.

MORE NEWS: CDC Issues First Set of Guidelines On How Fully Vaccinated People Can Visit Safely with Others

Twenty-three people inside a next-door building also had to be evaluated for exposure, but they were all soon released.