DALLAS, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Dallas police are investigating after the body of a transgender woman was found in White Rock Lake on Saturday.

Dallas Fire-Rescue pulled her body from the water in the evening around 5:30 p.m.

She was identified as Chynal Lindsey, 26, a transgender woman from Arlington.

Chynal Lindsay (courtesy: Lindsey family)

“We are concerned.  We are actively investigating the case and have reached out to federal authorities for assistance,” said Dallas Police Chief Renee Hall during a Monday afternoon news conference. “We are asking for the community’s assistance with this tragic event,” she said.

Chief Hall said there were signs of “homicidal violence” in Lindsey’s death.

The FBI released the following statement after Chief Hall’s announcement:

“The FBI is committed to investigating all federal crimes and providing assistance to our local partners when asked. We will continue to work with the Dallas Police Department as well as all our community partners to address any concerns. If in the course of the local investigation, information comes to light of a potential federal civil rights violation, the FBI is prepared to assist.”

Chief Hall said DPD is working to keep the city safe with roughly 500 fewer officers than they had in years past, and that one of the reasons she’s asked the FBI to step in is that they will have the resources to delve into motive and whether these murders are connected and whether they are hate crimes.

Tamaya Lindsey said she knew the victim as her cousin, Jason, who was placed for adoption as a young child. The two were reunited about five years ago on social media.  She said Jason, who still identified as a man at the time, moved to North Texas to be close to his birth family.

“He was just smiling, smiling, smiling ‘cause he was so excited to see us,” she said.

She said Jason lived with her and other family members, but after a while began to struggle with drugs and moved out. It was around the same time, Tamaya said, her cousin began identifying as a trans woman, taking the name Chynal Lindsey.

For the last year, she said she no longer knew where Chynal was living or how to contact her except through social media.  Several months ago, though, Chynal surprised her at work and met her co-workers.

“And, they were like, ‘Man, she loves you so much.’ And, I just broke down and I cried because I kept saying, ‘I don’t know if this is the last time I’m going to see you’,” she recalled.

But it was…

Lindsey’s death is now the fourth open murder investigation involving a transgender woman.

All four victims were African American. Three were killed within the last eight months.

“That scares me. That scares me a lot,” said Jazmine, a trans woman attending the chief’s press conference Monday who did not provide her last name.

She fears someone is targeting the transgender community and worries for her safety.

“I’m human. In the flesh. Like y’all. I’m just asking you to respect me and don’t bother me in my everyday life if I’m not messing with you or doing anything,” she said.

Lindsey’s cousin doesn’t know what else you could call it other than a hate crime.

“If this was a hate crime, shame on you,” she said, breaking into tears. “For someone to have that much anger and hatred toward someone to leave them in a lake like trash, it’s horrible.”

Comments (53)
  1. Mike Evans says:

“Transgender woman found dead in Dallas second time in two weeks.” Really? She was found dead TWICE?

1. annbanisher says:

In that case, headline should have read ‘Zombie killed”, the transgender part is not important.

2. Emuuuu says:

That’s what I got from the headline also

2. Charlie Whiting says:

Just because a cat has kittens in the oven, that doesn’t make them biscuits. Sad and a lie.

3. Jack Inmanz says:

Bad headline writing.

4. pageoturner says:

Guy in a dress found dead —again. Quite the trick.

1. Lenn Nee says:

yawn

5. Corneilus Hugo says:

Should have read “two mentally defective men found dead”

6. Boyd Craven says:

Whoever wrote this headline needs to go back to school.

7. usually happens when a “john” finds out he has been lied to….

8. Sarah Santori says:

Please…..these are MALES. They are NOT female. Quit insulting women.

9. Bill Smith says:

Just disgusting men in dresses pretending being something they are not or ever will be. Born with XY male chromosomes and male DNA and you will pass away as a male no matter how much surgery, hormones, makeup and clothes you try out. Its a total laughingstock that society considering these freaks as being normalized. They will always be men and their Creator will know them as men.

1. It’s a dude! Not a female. I am tired of these misnomers that the media, health industry is try to force onto us.

10. Quite the trick, being killed twice. I suspect an insurance scam. Or really bad reporting.

11. Gil Stonebarger says:

It was somewhere it shouldn’t have been……..

12. Shari Wilson Sullivan says:

It’s a ridiculous facade these MEN are trying to pull off, nothing more and I’m not participating in it. Please stop INSULTING actual women by referring to these sick men as “women”.

13. “Anti-racists” say there’s a RACE problem. They say it’ll be solved when non-Whites pour into ALL & ONLY White nations and “assimilate” to get a brown mixture.

They say only White nations have this RACE problem; they say non-White nations are fine.

If I object to my own genocide these “anti-racists” say I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they’re anti-racist. What they are is anti-White.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-White.

14. It’s disgusting how the media goes along with the charade…It’s a dude with boobs; NOT A SHE OR HER…Regardless of his internal mental instabilities; He shouldn’t be called by a feminine pronoun…Shame on you media…SHAME!

15. Any one of these violent, hateful people commenting might be the killer. Rest in power, Chynal.

16. Barry Brumfield says:

“Woman” should be in quotes.

17. Yipes, I used to go sailing on White Rock Lake.

18. Russ William says:

A man pretending to be a woman. My Mother was a woman, my wife was (deceased) a woman, my daughter and granddaughters are or are going to grow to be women. It is a special thing, and men can’t become that special thing. We have our own unique special thing. It is biology, it is fact, and it isn’t mean or hateful to be truthful about it.

19. Let me get this straight…(pun intended) These people say “You NEED to accept me the way I am, even though I didn’t accept myself the way I was.”

20. Fritz Vondago says:

CBS reporters and these so-called sick transgender men are classic morons!

21. Stu Pedasso says:

I am old enough to remember when blowing up a tranny meant you had serious car trouble. 😉

22. Msval Bralt says:

Sex and gender are different. This is not an opinion. It is based on a large and increasing body of scientific knowledge, peer reviewed, published and freely available. Ignorance is a choice. Sex and gender are often congruent and that creates a misunderstanding. It is common for a person with male appearing anatomy to identify as male and to project that belief onto other male appearing people. They expect every male appearing person to behave as a male. When this expectation is not met, their world view is challenged, making them uncomfortable. Males who behave otherwise are subject to a great deal of prejudice and scorn. In too many cases people who cannot accept, much less understand that behavior would rather kill that person. Really, they are assaulted and killed simply because people cannot deal with the reality that their beliefs may be wrong. Rather than endure that, many transgender people do what they can to hide their identity. Others face the scorn and live their life as the gender they identify.