DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Police are investigating an overnight shooting in southwest Dallas that left two people injured.

Shots rang out just before midnight on Mark Trail Way, near the Dallas Executive Airport.

READ MORE: 2 People Found Dead Inside Abandoned School In Parker County

Officials told CBS 11 News there was a gathering in the parking lot of the Thurgood Marshall recreation center when a suspect opened fire.

One person, possibly a male teenager, was shot and taken to a local hospital.

A second victim came to the hospital around 1:00 a.m. with a gunshot wound and claimed to have also been involved with the shooting.

Kellishia Ferguson, a witness who lives across the street, said she had just pulled up to her apartment complex when the shooting happened. Her two daughters were in the back seat.

“They were getting ready to get out of the car. I was opening up the driver’s door to get out, and that’s when my husband called, because he was looking from the window,” Ferguson said. “He said, ‘Wait, do not get out of the car. They’re shooting over there.’ I didn’t hear a gunshot right away, but after he said that, I closed the door, and that’s when I heard a gun exchange.”

READ MORE: Tony Evans Jr., Lancaster Football Player And University Of Wyoming Recruit, Killed In Shooting At Dallas Hotel

That’s when she heard two or three gunshots just across the street from them.  

“People started taking off running. They started getting in their cars, speeding out of there real fast,” Ferguson said.

A young man, possibly a teenager, was inside his nearby apartment and heard music and gunshots. He walked outside and was shot.

“By the time I was getting out of the car to walk up my sidewalk, that’s when I was hearing people in the crowd where the guy got shot saying, ‘He’s hit. Someone please call 911.’ The next thing you know, the ambulances started coming,” she said. 

Police still don’t know what led up to the violence.

MORE NEWS: 11-Year-Old Fatally Shot By Child Who Found Gun In Vehicle At Dallas Walmart, Police Say

So far, no arrests have been made but patrol officers were requested by the recreation center.