ANAHEIM, California (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — The Los Angeles Angels say they don’t know whether a longtime public relations official had been providing drugs to late pitcher Tyler Skaggs, as detailed in a report on ESPN’s “Outside the Lines.”
Eric Kay, a 24-year employee of the Angels’ PR department, told the Drug Enforcement Agency he had provided opioids to Skaggs and used them with the pitcher for years, according to the ESPN report Saturday. Kay reportedly watched as Skaggs snorted three lines of crushed pills in his hotel room in Texas, on the night before he was found dead.READ MORE: Appeals Court Ruling Keeps Abortion Ban In Place In Texas
Kay also told the DEA he believes several other Angels players used opioids, ESPN reported.READ MORE: Amtrak Train From Fort Worth Crashes In Oklahoma, Four Hurt
Skaggs was found dead in his Southlake, Texas hotel room July 1, three days before the start of a series against the Rangers. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office said the 27-year-old died after choking on his vomit with a toxic mix of alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone. They also ruled his death accidental.
A little over a month ago on Aug. 30, Skaggs’ family said they were shocked that an employee of the Los Angeles Angels played a part in his death.
We are heartbroken to learn that the passing of our beloved Tyler was the result of a combination of dangerous drugs and alcohol. That is completely out of character for someone who worked so hard to become a Major League baseball player and had a very promising future in the game he loved so much.
(© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)