WAXAHACHIE, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Homicide was the manner of death in the case of 6-year-old Phillip Oliver “Ollie” Wiedemann, who was found dead in a Waxahachie parking garage in August

Justice of the Peace in Ellis County Judge Steve Eagan told CBS 11 News the cause of death was “toxic effects of hydrogen sulfide.”

READ MORE: Dallas Stars Win Fourth Game In A Row, Beating Arizona Coyotes 3-2

But Judge Eagan said he doesn’t know how hydrogen sulfide got into Ollie’s system.

Ollie and his mother, Candace Harbin were at the center of an Amber Alert when they were found dead. Harbin didn’t have custody of the little boy when she allegedly kidnapped him.

According to police, Phillip Oliver “Ollie” Wiedemann and his mother, Candace Harbin, 46, were found dead inside a parking garage in Ellis County. (courtesy: Wiedemann family)

Those close to the situation told CBS 11 News, the tragedy was not a case of a custody battle gone wrong.

The boy’s father, John Wiedeman released the following statement after his son was found. 

Friday, August 23rd was an unspeakably tragic day for the Wiedemann family. We ask for your prayers and God’s guidance as John and his family struggle with the traumatic loss of his precious son, Phillip Oliver “Ollie” Wiedemann.

Ollie was an amazing young boy who cared about people. He always wanted to make others happy and if ever a classmate was having a tough day, he would reach out to help them. He loved swimming, Legos and superheroes but most of all he loved going to school.

Our hearts are broken and may never be whole again.

We thank the Waxahachie Police Department and other first responders who helped search for Ollie. We want to thank the Ellis County District Court for seamlessly processing the paperwork that enabled the Amber Alert system to be activated. We also want to thank the Ellis County community and all others who have sent prayers and thoughts.

Nothing can be said or done that will bring Ollie back and we ask for privacy as we grieve. As there is an ongoing investigation, we ask that further requests and comments be directed to the Waxahachie Police Department.”

Phillip Oliver “Ollie” Wiedemann and Candace Harbin (credit: Waxahachie PD)

READ MORE: Dallas Police Ask Public For Help Finding Deadly Hit-And-Run Suspects

Court filings show Harbin was allowed to pick up her son Ollie from school the last day he was seen alive.

A custody agreement between Harbin and her ex-husband said her visits were supposed to always be supervised, but attorneys said that could be lifted if Harbin was following other elements of the agreement.

Harbin had asked to have the supervision requirement removed, and the final hearing was set for October.

In a psychologist’s assessment though 2019, the doctor wrote he believed the situation “will eventually cause considerable damage to Ollie.”

Harbin had an extensive history of mental health issues. Two of the places she lived in the last eight years, burned down. Given that, Wiedemann’s attorney described the case  as a mental health issue, not a custody battle gone wrong.


MORE NEWS: Missing Canadian Aaron Tschritter Last Seen In Deep Ellum Came For Cowboys Game, Never Made It 

Waxahachie Man Who Discovered Vehicle At Center Of Tragic Amber Alert Shares Story: ‘I Couldn’t Believe My Eyes’