FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The mother of Atatiana Jefferson, died Thursday in the same Fort Worth home where her daughter was shot and killed by police last year.

Paramedics were called to the family home in the hillside neighborhood where they found Yolanda Carr.

READ MORE: Is DFW The New Mecca For High School Hoops?

CBS 11 News spoke to Carr after her daughter’s shooting death in October 2019.

Through sobs and from a hospital bed, she shared the agony of her daughter’s loss.

“At least we know that justice was served, and he will be accountable for murder,” she said. “He murdered my baby in my home. She wasn’t doing anything. She didn’t do anything. She didn’t do anything wrong.”

A cause of death is not known, but Carr was battling a serious illness. Atatiana, 28, was caring for her mother before the night she was killed.

Yolanda Carr and her daughter Atatiana Jefferson, who also was her caregiver. (credit: Jefferson family)

Dallas attorney Lee Merritt, who represents the family, released the following statement:

“It is with heavy hearts our office reports the passing of Yolanda Carr, the mother of Atatiana Jefferson. Atatiana was serving as a caregiver to her mother, Ms. Carr, at the time of her murder by Fort Worth police officer Aaron Dean. The family is devastated by Ms. Carr’s untimely death and is requesting for space to process and mourn. Police brutality impacts entire families, communities and generations. There is no doubt Ms. Carr’s recovery was complicated by the tragedy of her daughter’s death and the difficulty associated with the ongoing fight for justice. We will continue the fight in her honor. Please join us as we offer our prayers and condolences to this family during an incredibly difficult time.”

Dean, who joined the Fort Worth Police Department in April 2018, resigned two days after the shooting and just hours before his arrest and subsequent murder charge.

According to Dean’s original arrest affidavit, Jefferson was inside a bedroom playing video games with her 8-year-old nephew moments before the shooting. He told police his aunt heard noises outside and that she grabbed her handgun.

Body-cam video from Dean’s perspective showed the former officer walking around the home, shining a flashlight into a window and shouting “Put your hands up! Show me your hands!” and less than a second later firing a shot. Investigators confirmed that Dead did not identify himself as an officer at any point.

READ MORE: Man And Woman Shot Outside Arlington Barber Shop

Aaron Dean mugshot (Credit: Tarrant County Jail)

Jefferson’s adopted father, Marquis died in November just weeks after her death. He was buried in Dallas next to his daughter.

Family members said they have never seen someone deteriorate as fast as he did during those four weeks following her death.

“He didn’t have a condition that made his heart give out. Other than the fact, ‘I keep fighting for my daughter. Now I’m suppressed, I can’t even read a tribute that says how I’m going to continue her legacy?’” family spokesperson Bruce Carter said.

Beyond the demonstrations and national spotlight brought on by the shooting, both parents were also caught up in a tense legal battle.

It delayed Atatiana’s funeral, and raised questions about hundreds of thousands of dollars donated in her name.

Carr appeared satisfied though last month, that Dean was officially indicted for her daughter’s death.

WATCH: Fort Worth Police Officer Shoots, Kills Woman Inside Her Own Home

MORE NEWS: Postal Service Says Its Ready To Deliver This Holiday Season With New, Faster Sorting Machines