Plano City Council To Vote On Mask Ordinance At Emergency Meeting

McKINNEY, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – McKinney Mayor George Fuller announced a new mask requirement Monday afternoon for businesses and nonprofits.

It will take effect Wednesday, July 1 at 12:01 p.m.

McKinney Mayor George Fuller (credit: city of McKinney_

Exceptions are carved out for when masks interfere with the performance of services (like if you’re getting a facial) or the consumption of goods (eating at a restaurant.)

McKinney Businesses Welcome Mask Mandate, Brace For Unhappy Customers

“The Policy must require, at a minimum, that all employees and visitors to the entity’s business premises or other facilities wear face coverings that cover the nose and mouth when in an area or while performing an activity which will necessarily involve close contact or proximity to coworkers or the public,” the declaration states.  “The Policy may allow individuals with an operational need to remove a face covering so long as such operational needs are specifically addressed in the Policy.”

Here is the full declaration:

Mayor Fuller’s 19-year-old daughter tested positive for COVID-19 in April.

Also in late March, Mayor Fuller imposed a shelter in place order that was challenged in court.  The judge ultimately tossed out the lawsuit.

Comments (12)
  1. Vincent says:

Reality check.
    There are 29,900,000 Texans. There are 2434 Covid deaths as of 6/29 (we do not know if all are COVID because all might not have been tested). You divided, 2434 by 29,900,000 which is.0008. That means 99.92 percent of Texans have survived Covid.
    What crisis? 2017-18 flu season there were 11,200 Texans who died of flu/pneumonia. No masks then.

1. Michel Pense says:

Faulty math. This assumes all 29,900,000 Texans have had COVID. They have not. Mortality is number who died/number infected.

2. Charles says:

I will spend my money in Allen or Melissa or Frisco as long as this goes on in McKinney. McKinney is not seeing a spike like Dallas and has nearly 100% capacity for ICU beds available. This is overkill for a mayor that has admitted that he does not wear a mask most of the time. Maybe he is playing to the sheep for reelection?

1. Joe says:

Spot on Charles. As if businesses in McKinney haven’t suffered enough, the mayor wants to pander. I doubt he will be re-elected at this point, and this may stir some folks to start a recall petition.

3. Barbara J Williamson says:

Thank you Mayor Fuller. I think you truly are doing the best for McKinney in the worst of times. I know you to be a man of integrity and I thank God for you. Keep on, friend, keeping on.

4. Bill says:

Charles, I believe maybe is an unnecessary adverb in your hypothesis. I certainly will not vote for him.

5. Bethany says:

so disappointed in our mayor. I will do business in other cities that do no have a mask requirement.

6. Jim says:

If he’s going to act like a democrat we might as well vote one in this fall.

7. Gregg says:

Also, a little known fact is that Doctors are paid a stipend of $29k per COVID case… so logic dictates that someone who has a cold or hayfever now has COVID….. this came from a Doctor who is a client of mine

8. A3bctx says:

guess I know who NOT to vote for next election. Going to give all the business to the surrounding towns. Got his 5 minutes of fame.

9. Casey says:

A very stupid move. I cannot wear a mask because of a medical condition. If I can’t shop in McKinney and other’s can’t or don’t want to shop in McKinney there are other places where we can. McKinney will lose a lot of money in tax revenue. Informed people know that Covid is political.

10. D A H says:

I live in a central area where I can go to McKinney, Wylie, Rockwall, or Greenville. Don’t HAVE to go to McKinney, so I guess they’ve lost my business for now, anyway.A