Metal pole conducted electricity from overhead lines carrying 20,000 voltsBy CBSDFW.com Staff

NEW CANEY, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – A 17-year-old was electrocuted while setting up a business banner that was knocked down by recent storms in Montgomery County.

It happened on May 25 in the 17500 block of FM 1485 in New Caney, Texas.

READ MORE: First Lady Jill Biden And Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff Traveling To Texas

The banner was made with a metal pole that conducted electricity from the overhead service lines carrying 20,000 volts, and caused the teen to collapse and stop breathing. Nearby citizens started chest compressions, which were continued by EMS for nearly 20 minutes until a pulse was established.

The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office assisted EMS and he was transported to a nearby hospital. He’s currently in stable, but critical condition.

READ MORE: Cameron Lavon Stephens, 18, Charged With Murder In Fatal Shooting Of Arlington Teen At Hurricane Harbor

Representatives from Entergy explained that such high voltage flowing through the wires creates an electrical field surrounding them, and that physical contact does not need to be made with the wires for an electrical charge to jump to a conductive object.

 

MORE NEWS: Austin Police Arrest, Charge 19-Year-Old With Murder For 6th Street Mass Shooting

 

CBSDFW.com Staff