FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A gas line leak in downtown Fort Worth led to a two-block area being shut down Tuesday afternoon, Oct. 26.
It happened at West 5th Street and Taylor Street.
The Tower Condominiums high rise at 500 Taylor Street was evacuated due to high gas readings in the area and those who live there were not able to return Tuesday night.
The Fort Worth Fire Department tweeted around 9:00 p.m., “The Tower at 500 Taylor unfortunately will not be able to be occupied this evening due to high levels of gas still in the building. Fire crews remain on scene. Per Red Cross displaced residents can check with local hotels for disaster rates.”
The Red Cross has set up an emergency shelter at North Fort Worth Baptist Church. 5801 IH 35W.
All foot and vehicle traffic in all directions was shut down for two blocks.
The Fort Worth Fire Department urged people to avoid the area.
When the Fort Worth Fire Department arrived on scene after getting a call about a possible gas leak, they found there was heavy equipment on site included a boring machine.
Atmos Energy told CBS 11 in an email, a construction crew doing work unrelated to Atmos damaged a natural gas pipeline.
Gas service was shut down to “a large part of downtown,” the Fort Worth Fire Department said.
Atmos crews are making repairs.