The investigating officer in the case of an Army psychiatrist accused in the killing of 13 military personnel at Fort Hood has recessed the proceedings until 9 a.m. Wednesday.
Col. James L. Pohl said Tuesday that Maj. Nidal Hasan’s defense team must explain in writing their request for a delay until Nov. 8.
Pohl says he will consider the request on Wednesday.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE.
FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) — A military officer has denied a defense request to close a court hearing to determine whether there’s enough evidence to put an Army psychiatrist on trial for the deadly shooting rampage at Fort Hood.
Defense attorney Lt. Col. Kris Poppe made the request after Tuesday’s proceedings were delayed more than 2 1/2 hours.
A military judge acting as the investigating officer in the case denied the request then called a recess. The defense team says it has more issues to discuss.
Lead prosecutor Col. Michael Mulligan says the hearing should proceed as planned.
The Article 32 hearing involving Maj. Nidal Hasan is being held under tight security. The 40-year-old is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in last year’s attack.
Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.