Flowetry Workout Connects Mind, Body & Soul

By Selena Hernandez, CBS 11 News

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Looking to change up your drab exercise routine? Perhaps it’s time to go with the flow. That’s the concept behind flowetry. It’s like yoga meets dancing, but with water. Flowetry combines movement and ‘the flow,’ a tube filled with about two ounces of water which creates resistance when you move.

Connecting the mind, body and soul – through the use of water and movement – is the core of flowetry. The practice has ancient roots, and is now gaining popularity here in North Texas. “It’s very natural for us to feel a kinship, to feel an alignment, with the fluidity of water,” said Monica Blossom Hochberg, who teaches the art of water dancing in Dallas. (Get information on Hochberg’s classes.)

Flowetry creates an overall awareness, one that allows for immediate feedback. If the flow is interrupted, then the water will become less fluid and more heavy. “If I have tension, it’s going to give me that feedback right away,” Hochberg said. “That helps my brain and body to remind me to relax.”

“This practice is a heart-centered practice,” Hochberg added. “Enjoy your breath. Relax your shoulders. Practice embodying the flow.”

The equipment that is used – ‘the flow’ – can be manipulated in any direction. Stay in front of your body. Go behind your back. Move over your head. It is all done with the idea of keeping the flow, and your movement, in constant alignment. “This actually gives you a way to connect,” said flowetry participant Shanti Webb. “You’re working with this thing, flowetry, and it opens a space in your mind to connect with energy that’s all around us, all the time.”

“If you choose, you can follow the water with your eyes,” said Hochberg. “It creates a deeper experience, more of a body awareness.” This has proven to be beneficial for children with Attention Deficit Disorder, Hochberg said, because it creates more focus. (Learn more about flowetry.)

Flowetry provides an overall workout for the body and the mind – a fluid departure from typical, structured exercise. “I think everybody benefits from moving more, and this was a new kind of movement that I wasn’t familiar with,” said flowetry participant Mark Head. “So, I wanted to try it. And I enjoyed it.”

Comments

1. june coleman says:

Where can I buy one a flowetry? Or make one?

1. Monica Blossom says:

june: i sell them and have every size readily available for you. my home office is in North Dallas near Preston & Coit. please call me at 214-597-6800 and we’ll make arrangements to meet.

i’m offering an Intro to Flowetry semi-private series that’s very affordable that begins March 10th. there are two spaces available if you’d like to join.
      best,
      monica blossom
      214-597-6800

2. dana says:

I would like to know where to buy one or how to make one also Please

1. monica blossom says:

dana: i sell them and have every size readily available for you. my home office is in North Dallas near Preston & Coit. please call me at 214-597-6800 and we’ll make arrangements to meet.

best,
      monica blossom
      214-597-6800

3. Susan says:

Susan
    Same as the last two questions I also would like to know
    February 24. 2011

1. Monica Blossom says:

susan: i sell them and have every size readily available for you. my home office is in North Dallas near Preston & Coit. please call me at 214-597-6800 and we’ll make arrangements to meet.

best,
      monica blossom
      214-597-6800

4. Marilyn says:

Where can I buy one, or make one?

5. Monica Blossom says:

Maryilyn: i sell them and have every size readily available for you. my home office is in North Dallas near Preston & Coit. please call me at 214-597-6800 and we’ll make arrangements to meet.

best,
    monica blossom
    214-597-6800

6. Monica Blossom says:

also, i’m beginning an Intro to Flowetry series on March 10th. i have 2 spaces available. you can find details here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=154589151265489.

or call me at 214-597-6800.

best,
    monica blossom

7. sunshineman says:

What a great way to get out of the hectic day-to-day rat race and flow into relaxation, peace and heart!! Get in the flow…

1. Monica Blossom says:

mr. sunshine: you’re ready for your first class? xo

Comments are closed.