FORT WORTH (KRLD) – The Better Business Bureau (BBB) wants you to stay away from a North Texas identity theft company. The Fort Worth BBB gives a rating of “F”.

There have been dozens of complaints taking aim at Granbury-based Customers accuse the company of luring people into identity theft protection.

John Riggins with the Fort Worth Better Business Bureau says tells people they’ve won a prize, which they can get by paying a $12.95 shipping fee. Accepting the prize also makes the person “eligible” for a seven-day free trial of Identityflash’s identity theft prevention services.

Riggins says if the customer fails to cancel the service within seven days, they’re hit with another $99 fee. “They pay their $12 in advance and then they get charged for identity theft protection at that point, that may or may not help the consumer,” he said.

The Fort Worth BBB says has racked up complaints from across the country. “[They’ve gotten] 56 complaints in the last 12 months… happening in Texas, California, New York, Florida, Kansas, North Carolina and New Mexico,” said Riggins. “We’ve mailed all these complaints and we’ve contacted the company at least 50 times.”

Currently the website only displays the words “It Works” with no further information. The website was fully functional in December of 2010, when it claimed to offer services providing, “products to insure you in the event that you become a victim of identity theft and tools to help you restore your good name at a very affordable price and flexible payment terms.”

Riggins advises any consumer to, “Be careful about paying advance fees to companies that are new to you, especially when they’re telling you [that] you won something.”

KRLDNewsRadio1080 tried to reach but were unable to find contact information for the company.

If you believe you have been a victim of identity theft the BBB of Fort Worth advises you to:

• Place a fraud alert on your credit reports with each of the three credit bureaus, Experian, Equifax and Transunion
• Close the accessed accounts
• File a police report