Body Of Soldier Killed In Afghanistan Returned Home

By JD Miles, CBS 11 News

MOUNT PLEASANT (CBSDFW.COM) – The body of a Northeast Texas soldier killed in Afghanistan has returned home.  Staff Sergeant Chauncey Mays was killed February 28 in Wardak Province by a roadside bomb.  On Wednesday his body was flown to Greenville before being escorted to a funeral home in Winnsboro.

On a cool Wednesday night, family members gathered in Mount Pleasant to remember the soldier they loved and lost.

Katherine Mays was able to touch the uniform of her husband when his body arrived in Greenville Wednesday afternoon.  “That’s one thing that I really wanted was to be able to touch him one last time.”

The 25-year-old was on his 3rd tour of duty overseas.  He left behind not only a wife but also two young children.  One of them just old enough to understand.  “She kind of understood today that her daddy won’t get to come home come home but he is home.”

Even while fighting in a war on the other side of the world, Mays was still taking care of his wife and kids here in East Texas, spending his free time searching online for a new car for his family.  “The last time I talked to him was 4 o’clock Monday morning my car was acting up and he had found a car for me,” says Katherine.

That new car will now have to wait while this young widow struggles with an uncertain future.  “For a wife losing her husband especially as young as we are I don’t think I ever will accept that.”

Mays’ father Tommy says the best way to honor his son’s memory would be to change the course of the war he fought. “I think the politics needs to get out of this untie our soldiers hands and let them do their job and let’s get home.”

Mays’ journey home wasn’t the way this family planned but they’re proud he served.  “He loved what he did that’s the main thing he loved what he did.”

Funeral services for Mays will be held Friday at Lake Fork Baptist Church in Emory.

Comments

1. Terry says:

God Bless you & your family, my prayers are with you, I am sorry for your loss.
    I pray for alll of our soldiers to come home safely, & that God will protect them each and every day. Thank You very much for his service. God Bless you

2. Kimjul says:

May God give you the strength to go through this. Even though he did what he loved to do, he didn’t have to do for this war. The question I ask, is how many should die before the politics take a turn? As an Army dad as well, i wonder if it would it be different had it been the child of a politician who died…may be this war would have been over.

May the peace of God be with you dear ones.

3. Gayle Cotton says:

~I WAS THERE AS SUPPORT FOR THE FAMILY I HAVE SAID I DID NOT KNOW HIM PERSONALLY BUT AS WELL HE DID NOT KNOW ME PERSONALLY AND WENT TO DEFEND OUR COUNTRY ~GOD BLESS HIS FAMILY AND ALL OUR TROOPS~HE WILL BE IN GOOD HEARTS AT THE LAKE FORK BAPTIST CHURCH ~I HAVE ATTENDED THERE AND IT IS A LOVING CHURCH ~

4. Susan Campana says:

My heart is with you all!!! I know he was a great man! He and Kathy helped my daughter while in Leesville, even on leave, he was protecting and serving others – I was able to email and pray with co-workers for all of you due to Chauncey and others like him! We want you to know that we do not take for granted such a great sacrafice!! I pray and cry for all of you

5. Nicole Nichols Dray says:

My prayers are with during the loss of your loved one.May you draw strength from God during this difficult time.His service to our country will be greatly rewarded in Heaven.

6. Kenny Beaty says:

we can only imagine what the family of chauncey mays is going through right now,he was a brave soldier who lost his life fighting in afghanistan february 28th 2011,we watched the procession bringing him home in winnsboro and the sadness we felt just cant be explained,he was a brave soldier who fought for our country and for what he believed in he will never be forgotten and have a special place in our hearts forever,may god bless him and his family our thoughts and prayers are with them,Kenny & Sonya Beaty, Winnsboro Tx natives

7. Jim says:

Dear Mays family. I’m so sorry for your loss. Your son is a hero in my eyes and I’m so grateful for all those that serve and especially those that give the ultimate sacrifice.
    May the loving arms of our Savior Jesus Christ comfort you and help you find some peace during the coming days, months and years ahead.
    May God our Heavenly Father bless your lives with extra measures of love, hope and strength as you move forward with the faith that you will see Chauncey again.

Comments are closed.