Fannin County Couple Mourns Loss Of Daughters In Fire
BONHAM (CBSDFW.COM) – D.J. Gregory and his fiancee Alicia Moncier are mourning the loss of their two daughters, who were killed in a fire.
“I’m just sad,” D.J. said. “This is just something I can never get over.”
On March 6, a fire tore through the couple’s mobile home in Fannin County. The fire started in the living room and it was caused by a space heater.
The couple’s six-year-old daughter and her 11-year-old cousin woke up and ran toward their room. D.J. and the two older girls escaped, but Alicia got stuck in the hallway.
“I tried to get out, get out the front door, but the smoke was so thick,” Alicia said.
D.J. saved his fiancee by ripping out part of the wall and pulling her to safety. The couple’s younger daughters, four-year-old Clara and 17-month-old Kendra, didn’t make it.
“I could’ve sworn [the older girls] had Clara and Kendra in their arms,” D.J. said.
D.J. said he later saw one of his daughters lying in the living room, as the flames grew.
“I couldn’t even save her. I couldn’t even help her,” she said.
While D.J. blames himself, Alicia said if it weren’t for him, they would all be dead.
“In my opinion, he saved everyone there,” she said.
The couple buried their girls last week. Most of the funeral costs were covered by donations, but the couple could not afford headstones to pay proper tribute to the little girls.
“They were special, amazing little kids,” Alicia said.
The family lost all of their belongings in the fire, and are also struggling to pay for DJ’s medical bills.
Bank of the Ozarks
The Memorial Account for Clara & Kendra Gregory
5178 Preston Road, Frisco, TX 75034
First National Bank of Trenton
Gregory Family Benefit Fund
PO Box 4
Trenton, TX 75490