AT&T Says T-Mobile 3G Phones Will Need To Be Replaced

NEW YORK (AP) – AT&T Inc. said Monday that its deal to buy T-Mobile USA goes through, T-Mobile subscribers with “3G” phones will need to replace those to keep their wireless broadband service working. But there will be plenty of time to do that.

Dallas-based AT&T said Sunday it had agreed to buy T-Mobile USA for $39 billion. If approved by regulators, the deal would close in about a year.

AT&T said that some time after the closing, it plans to rearrange how T-Mobile’s cell towers work. The airwaves they use for third-generation services, or 3G, will be repurposed for 4G, which is faster.

That would leave current T-Mobile phones without 3G. They would need to be replaced with phones that use AT&T’s 3G frequencies. Ralph de la Vega, AT&T’s head of wireless and consumer services, said this will happen as part of the normal phone upgrade process.

“There’s nothing for them to worry about … it will be done over time, in a way that’s good for customers and good for AT&T,” de la Vega said in an interview.

The whole process will take several years, he said.

AT&T shares rose 27 cents to $28.21 in midday trading Monday.

Comments

1. NUMBER1 CELL USER says:

ARE WE GOING BACK TO ONE SUPER PHONE COMPANY, AT&T? THE CUSTOMER WILL LOSE IF THERE IS NO COMPETITION!!!!!!!

1. Tiffany Gurganus says:

I smell Bell coming back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Jeff Williams says:

You SMELL them coming back? Are you joking me??? Open your eyes the Beast is standing right in front of you.. and what is that, there in the right hand??? Its your first born!

This sucks.

2. at&t for the LOSE says:

that’s what they want. they don’t care if the customer loses, they want $$$$$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$$$$. LOTS AND LOTS OF $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

3. Jim says:

Lets not get carried away. This country was built on competition as a core value. I don’t see AT&T’s competitors taking this lightly. I see them doing what successful businesses do every day…find a way to build a better mouse trap and build it. Thats what living in a free market economy is all about.

4. Florida Land for sale says:

Forget about it! Buy Florida Land at 1985 prices, $2,500.00 cash lots http://www.islandforsalebyowner.com/

2. Concerned One says:

Who are we kidding? Once again AT&T wants to be the only game intown? Custoemrs will lose on this for sure….!!!

3. Ticked off Customer~! says:

TMOBILE!!!! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING! This really upsets me! I have Tmobile service and I PROMISE if this merge happens I will cancel my tmobile service immediately and AT&T will not get a DIME OF MY MONEY! Tmobile actually has plans that normal working class people can afford and you get alot more for your money… AT&T is so freaking greedy and their plans SUCK! You pay twice as much for 1/2 the services! I really hope this doesn’t happen…

1. Aurevoir Tmobile says:

I said the exact same thing to my friend, who’s an AT&T customer, yesterday. I will cancel my service and ATT will not get any of my money. Not that my money will make a difference bcuz so many others will drink the kool-aid and get on board. My friend admits that att service is HORRIBLE, he’s just in it for the iphone. The customer service rep at tmobile told me that they will stay the same so we don’t lose that excellent service. I told her we’ll see how long that lasts. It is very much about money and ATT will not keep 2 sets of customer service entities. Guess which one will remain standing?

2. IphoneUser says:

You better get to canceling then because its a done deal, its nothing but paperwork and infrastructure changes for the next year before T-mobile goes the way of the dodo bird.

4. Survon1 says:

Verizon is ending many of the services and hosing their customers. Get ready to be taken to the cleaners by AT&T.

5. veronica says:

at&t sucks t-mobile has affordable plans for everyone what in the hell are you thinking tmoble i have friends that complain about at&t now they can’t use their phone don’t get service and it always hang up i have friends that just went to tmobile and love it dont do it tmobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. griff says:

Are all you people so ignorant it says that ATT will still use the same towers t mobile has just fix them to fit ATT phones so there is going to be even more coverage for ATT. Why don’t you read and think before you bash ATT. Also with this merge it will lower the monthly cost for plans bc there will be tons more ATT members after the merge to be able to lower costs

1. Trinity says:

griff, I think you should be griefing too. What the people are seeing is lack of competition and I agree with them. T-mobile has many plans that work for all most anyone. AT&T is not purchasing T-mobile for show, it’s fpr money. Those towers that’ll be upgraded will cost something and the customer will pay for it. Moving from 3G to 4G is not for nothing, T-mobile customer will be the losers.

2. Jeannine says:

And why would more customers make AT&T lower their costs for customers. Everyone above is talking about their greediness. We are a T MObile customer and find their plan reasonable. Occasionally calls are dropped. I would like to use an iphone. Will wait and see prices and fallout.

1. Ken Hughes says:

Oh ..you will get to use an I-Phone..just not your decision when..because AT&T will FORCE you to buy their phone…and you will have to get locked into a long term contract !! ( 2 years ) ..and they will offer you the phone @ a discount to sign up..but it is not a true discount ..it is the ploy to LOCK you in !! Good LUck !

7. AT&T Evil says:

Been with T Mobile for 11 years, and I will be canceling my service as soon as AT&T take over, because frankly that company is worse than evil, they are the worst company ever in regards to customer relations, service, and accountability.

Sad, I liked T Mobile a lot. My hatred of AT&T trumps that though, and I wish that company nothing but ill will and deficits. It is what they deserve.

8. Trinity says:

The customer will be the loser!
    T-mobile has many plans that work for all most anyone. AT&T is not purchasing T-mobile for show, it’s for money. Those towers that’ll be upgraded will cost something and the customer will pay for it. Moving from 3G to 4G is not for nothing, T-mobile customer will be the losers.

We need more competition in this industry!

9. AT&T Thumbs Up says:

When I left T-Mobile for AT&T, we got a better plan for less money.

When new plan features are introduced that can lower our monthly bill, or increase what we get for the amount we’re paying, the customer service reps always voluntarily let us know and implement those changes.

Finally, AT&T did mess our bill up one time. They not only eliminated the charges so we wouldn’t be out the money, but they also gave us a $250 credit for the inconvenience.

Doesn’t sound like the evil company everybody else has had trouble with.

1. connerie says:

Sounds like AT&T is trolling the comment threads.

1. Amidee says:

LOL I LOVE YOU

2. AT&T Thumbs Up says:

No, everything I just said is true. Of course, when I approach AT&T with an issue, I don’t spew venomous vitriol either like most of these posters. Its possible my good fortune has been the result of being pleasant and polite to those who are helping me.

2. connerie says:

Nah. Has nothing to do with how you act. If what you say is true and AT&T has been nice to you, I suspect you have used up your GFQ (good fortune quota). I would not suggest walking outside in a thunderstorm anytime soon.

10. Richard West says:

If you are concerned about this merger and possible anti-trust implications for all Amereicans seeking cellular phone service at fair competitive market rates? Please contact the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) overseeing this merger transaction to log an individual complaint about this merger at: http://www.fcc.gov. The more average Americans weigh in on this topic, the more the FCC will take into account the publics opinion.

11. RedTitan says:

So the LG Optimus T I just purchased 2 months ago will be useless? Do I get a new phone for free from AT&T? Or have I thrown away my money for a paperweight? The phone menu shows it will work on the AT&T 3G networks. Won’t there be AT&T 3G networks anymore?

1. Trinity says:

The article above said AT&T will do away with 3G…but they will work with you. So maybe they are not that bad after all.

1. Ken Hughes says:

Sorry Trinity..THEY ARE THAT BAD !! Hope you dont find out the hard way ..like I did…be sure and check cancellation fees and get ready to be locked into a 2 year contract !! It is terrible to be LOCKED in a plan…when better ones come along !! good Luck !

2. sailor moon says:

FREE iPHONES FOR EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!

12. James M Jackson Jr says:

T-Mobile don’t do it you are good on your own.

13. bill says:

LANDLINE

14. ATT customer says:

I have been an ATT customer for 8 years. At one time had phone internet, cable and wireless through ATT. I now have only cable and wireless and I am paying the same amount for much less service. The rates with ATT never go down, only up. I was promised $150 to switch from DISH (through ATT) to Uverse but never got the money. Some sort of loop hole. They sent a guy out to my house to lie to my face to get me to switch. I lost three full days of work to get the Uverse set up. They only tell you the day they are coming not the time. Then they did not know what they were doing! My rates were just increase last month by 10% and they have gone up every year I have been a customer. They also charge 20% of “taxes and fees” that are not part of the rate discussion. When your rate goes up they jack up the “fees and taxes” on top of that. Rates WILL go up and service was never very good at ATT to begin with. I am a customer because it is my only choice where I live. This buyout will hurt the consumer and ONLY benefit ATT.

15. Ken Hughes says:

AT & T Sucks !! I was with them for years..went through the sale to Cingular..then back to AT&T…they forced us to buy new phones when they went from analog to digital..NOW..they are doing the same thing to T-Mobile customers ! I had nothing but problems with AT&T..dropped calls ,overcharges, and terrible customer service.
    I am now with Metro PCS…Love it !! No contract..low monthly payment ( $43 Month ) UNLIMITED USE .. iI don’t worry about minutes…Yes..it is costly to use if you travel out of your area, but that has changed recently..now works in all metropcs areas…and here is the GOOD PART..I have an AT&T phone on my sisters plan …and pay her $10 a mnth..but rarely use it !! So I havre 2 phones for $53 a month…My cell bill was $100 to $300 a month before switching, because of POOR customer service..THANK YOU AT&T !! My advice is to shop around..dont give away your power !!

1. Ken Hughes says:

I was an AT & T customer for over 15 Years !!!! That is when they were the only game in town !! I would sign with Sprint or metro pcs before ever going to AT&T !!

2. ATT lawsuits says:

Exactly! This artcle talk about it.

“Last year, it settled charges that it intentionally degraded service after acquiring rival Cingular, forcing consumers to either pay $175 early termination fees or early upgrade charges. The firm admitted no wrongdoing but agreed to pay millions in refunds to consumers who paid early termination fees during a 12-year span.

And in November, AT&T settled a lawsuit alleging the firm overbilled iPhone users for taxes. Again, the firm admitted no wrongdoing but pledged to refund consumers.
      Attorneys for Patrick Hendricks have asked that consumers receive refunds, and also that AT&T be hit with punitive charges for committing unfair business practices.

16. Jim says:

17. Ken Hughes says:

Switch to METROPCS !!! You will save a bundle..and their service is as good or better than AT&T !!

18. IphoneUser says:

Best part about this is no more of those lying T-mobile commercials. Nations Largest 4G Network my butt!! It will be once AT&T rolls out its LTE over T-mobiles tired HSPA+ network!

19. geegee says:

its the price you pay for technology,did you really think it was gonna last with Tmobile?!I wouldn’t stay with a phone service longer than my contract…new plans always pop up just dont rely on metro

20. sam says:

On my monthly bill the “Government Taxes” section has been changing every month.
    They will charge a upgrade fee ($18) to T-Mobile customers.

Here is a part of the article talks about at&t.

AT&T’s wireless business, now called AT&T Mobility, has been the target of class-action lawsuits related to billing before.

21. Karl Sefcik says:

I was with AT&T back in the 90’s. Then a Verizon agent told me the difference between GSM and CDMA. Verizin uses CDMA, a more secure signal because it’s scrambled over a group of frequencies. The capacity pe3r tower also goes up, from hundreds to thousands. So ever wonder why your call got dropped? Unless you went into an area of no coverage, bet that for GSM, new calls get to bump one already connected. There’s a file on the net somewhere, just Google ‘CDMA’

22. Jason Perkins says:

AT&T should not punish Tmobile customers buy making us buy new phones for their network, there are some of us who’ve just bought new phones with a two year contracts now we’re going to be forced to shell out more money beause of a greedy corperate wanna be giant, I feel like for the tmobile customers we should be given the choice of opting out of our contracts or give us the new phones for their network instead of dictating what happens because they are bounded to lose customers at the end of their contracts. AT&T needs to quit trying to be the bully on the playground before the Govn’t punishes them for being ignorant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Erik says:

I hD tmobile, as soon as i heard about this i canceles my service with them, i hate att, and plus their service sucks, they are just money hungry, i switched over to verizon, and so far ive liked it. Lot, i get fast internet and its unlimited something att does not have, and i also get great cuality call, and i have signal everywhere which is awesome, att sucks

24. Stacey says:

According to these comments, T-mobile has been hosing me for years. I pay through the nose for my 3 phone plan and I’m constantly dropping calls and searching for service. I was hoping the AT&T purchase would help. Guess I was wrong there too.

25. Dot Went says:

Soon after I relocated to Northern California for a dot com job, my new supervisor insisted that I get a cell phone. He picked the company (Cingular) and the Phone (it was a choice of two) but I was forced to sign my own individual 1-year contract. He terminated me one month later. I found the phone useful during my job search. No carriers had decent coverage in my neighborhood (I was living as a Civilian on former Navy Base Treasure Island, and coverage was available only on a “spillover” basis from the cell towers that surrounded the island, across the bay. I make calls, I had to find signal by standing in the middle of the street (and these would drop), or take a drive 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from my home (these would). Service was stable where they actually built the networks, in San Francisco and Oakland. I’ve been through network changeovers and had my phone left behind. They sent notices that an upgrade of my phone was required along with a renewal of their contract for a two year term. I didn’t come in and eventually my phone stopped working. Then while on a road trip, my phone started working again, on another carriers network. This is called roaming, and it proves the handset was not broken, just refused by the changes made in the AT&T network upgrades. After discussing it with AT&T customer service, they sent me a new phone (they chose the model) and sim (required by the new network) for free, and they credited my account for the time my phone was unusable (date of upgrade to expected date of new phone arrival, including fees and taxes). No new contract was extended. Do you think that was unfair? I don’t. I still use AT&T, but I no longer have my own account. I have since moved my handset on to an account with a friend and we share a larger pool of rollover minutes – having thousands as a buffer keeps the worries away.

Comments are closed.