Texas Rep. Files Bill To Make TSA Pat-Downs A Felony

By Emily Trube, 1080 KRLD

AUSTIN (1080 KRLD) – A Texas lawmaker wants to make full body searches at the airport illegal in the Lone Star State.

Representative David Simpson (R) of Longview says the TSA security searches, or “pat-downs”, have escalated to the point where they are a violation of the 4th Amendment of the US Constitution.  “Don’t touch someone’s private parts,” says Simpson, “either through clothing or directly.  Reasonable people find that offensive, and I think even the TSA agents themselves are being dehumanized.”

Simpson has filed House Bill 1937 which would make the enhanced searches a state crime and the agents who perform them could be charged with a felony.

Simpson also thinks the full-body x-ray scanning machines are just as bad.  He has filed another bill, House Bill 1938,  that would ban them from use in airports across Texas.

Rep. Simpson on 1080 KRLD – Part 1

Rep. Simpson on 1080 KRLD – Part 2

Comments

1. MR .STUART ASHCRAFT says:

MR SIMPSON I KNOW YOU FILL THAT PEPPLE ARE HAVING THEAR RIGHTS AFCTED .I YOUST TO WORK AT DALLAS LOVE FILED .WITH GLOB AIR PORT SECERTY .IF YOU TACK AWAY A VERY GOOD TOOL THE TSA HASE RIGHT KNOW THEN YOU ARE SENDING A MASSAGE TO ALL THOSE WHO WONT TO DO A REPET OF 9 /11 .AND THATS WHAT WOLD HAPIN .I HOPE YOU REELY THINK ABOUT WAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE CHANGING IN THE TEXAS AIRPORTS .IS IT WORTH IT TO ALL THOSE WHO FLY EVERY DAY .THANKS FOR YOUR ATTN MR STUART ASHCRAFT .

1. C Bauer says:

OH. MY. GOD. PLEASE tell me you are from another country and not completely illiterate. It’s scary to think you’re working in any industry involving my safety.

1. Teacher in waiting says:

EXAMPLE OF THE TEXAS EDUCATION SYSTEM

2. les says:

i wonder if this person knows what an ass he made of himself !!!

3. CitizenSane says:

Are you NOT ABLE TO SEE that Mr. Ashcraft is doing his MISSPELLING ON PURPOSE!!!…jeeze…he’s trying to get a LARGER POINT ACROSS…so while YOU are critiquing his spelling, THE POINT IS FLYING OVER YOUR HEAD!!!…it is YOUR REPLY sir that is SCARY…

4. C Bauer says:

Citizen Sane: If you’ve ever seen some of the mongoloid remarks on these boards, you find it hard to discern real from facetious posts quite often.

5. Tom K says:

WELL SAID !

6. william ball says:

Now Thats Funny! However You are exactly right.

2. CitizenSane says:

clever

3. Imma Karyin Abom says:

Please to hear me too much on this very thing!…there is now truth to be known here for this is too much very serious in its violation…I am not to like this at all in any time you can see…it is violation of my known and too very sure rights!!…i am tourist to this American country of the free…i have nothing to even for sure hide here…stop looking at me with these evil machines!!!…i am really thanking you to do this or else…

1. C Bauer says:

Yeah, OK Borat, the joke is getting old now.

4. joel ridge says:

i use to work at globe security to and i agree with you

5. Marcel says:

YOUR SPELLING IS AWFUL!!!!!!!!!

6. Bob says:

That has got to be the funniest post I’ve ever read here. Kudos to you.

7. Tom K says:

WOW! ! ! ! !

1. Mixleplix says:

KIRKHART!

8. P Miller says:

Having met some TSA workers who talk just like that is spelled..I am having a hard time believing that that post is miss-spelled on purpose.
      Kudos to Rep. Simpson. I wish people who flew and think the naked scanners and feel-off is ok would take some time to go back and re-read their constitutional rights…and see how many they have given up to get on an airplane.

2. b says:

Stuart Ashcraft’s comment has to be one of the worst I’ve ever seen. I wonder if he spelled his name correctly….

3. L J says:

What a bunch of foolishness! This is not an unreasonable search. Terrorists have again and again and again smuggled weapons and/or explosives on commercial aircraft to commit their horrible attacks. In order to protect all of our right not to be killed, it is very reasonable and wise to use all means neccesary. I mean for God’s sake if we are willing to kill tens of thousands of people in war to protect us from terrorism, is it such a big deal to expect that we make SURE that terrorists are not able to use one of their favorite weapons?

If people are so offended at having to be searched to protect my right to not be killed, then they are free to choose another method of transportation.

However, I suspect that this proposed bill has nothing to do with anything other than political posturing and free publicity for the Repulican rep from Longview.

1. Anthony Madrid says:

In the 60 plus years of airline travel there have been, what, 50 at most terrorist attacks on airplanes. Of those, there have been maybe 20 or so where the people actually boarded the plane, most have been planting baggage carrying bombs on the plane. The likelihood of an attack occurring on the plane you’re traveling on is almost unlikely to happen, in fact you’re biggest danger is the plane falling out of the sky. Good luck having the extra pat down protect you from that.
      I do agree that people are free to choose a different mode of transportation if they do not wish to be searched in such a manner, however, do make sure the sacrifices to privacy you make are in fact warranted.

2. C Bauer says:

L J – What did all those suicide bombers and terrorists have in common? The animals from the U.S.S. Cole attack, to the 9/11 attackers to the failed attempt in Dallas… they all (fill in the blank). Racial profiling is the answer, not searching every single person wanting to board an aircraft. We shouldn’t have to want to choose another mode of transportation because of political correctness run amok.

3. TenaciousTexan says:

I would suggest the opposite for you.

If you are too afraid to fly without violating the Constitutional Rights of everyone that flies, YOU should be the one that finds an alternative method of transportation. I should not have to give up my rights because you are scared.

1. L J says:

So let me get this straight: your fear of having your butt touched is more important than my fear of having a terrorist bring a bomb/weapon on a plane and possibly using that plane to kill perhaps thousands of people (Remember 9/11)?

Do you see how ridiculous that is? Yes we have the Constitutional right to be protected from UNREASONABLE searchs per the 4th Amendment.The Constitution also guarantees that the US government “shall protect each of them (the states) against invasion; and…against domestic Violence”- US Constitution Article IV Section 4. I think my right to be protected from violence outweighs your right not to have your butt touched.

And further. the 4th Amendment allows for searches and seizures with “probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particulary describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” Probable cause-terrorists continue to try to use commercial aircraft for terror, place to be searched-all persons who board these potential terror weapons, things to seized-terrorists.

4. Kat says:

I have to argue these pat downs and screening machines have proven to be incompetent. Several weeks ago a man got on a jetblue flight with box cutters. I’m not sure how how good your memory is, but that is what was used in one of the hijackings on 9/11. Do you also know that many airport workers aren’t screened when they go to work? They can just as easily carry a bomb onto as plane or set it inside the cargo compartment. What is the point of “screening” passengers when the workers aren’t also screened? What good would these pat downs do if someone shoved an explosive up their a$$? Nothing. They need to incorporate dogs to sniff people out for drugs and explosives instead of these pat downs. It would be much more effective and less humiliating and dehumanizing. I’m totally against the pat downs but am for the body scan ONLY if you beep going through the metal detector or a trained dog sniffs you out.

1. Miss mac says:

Speaking of airport employees…the guy who attacked the US Air Force members on a military detail bus was an employee, had gone through security coming to work and supposedly eveyone was in a “secure area” of the airport boarding that bus. So how the hell did those servicemen get shot in Germany by that employee??? Did THEIR airport security work? Guess not!

5. Just a thought..... says:

Uh, LJ, terrorists are smuggling explosives in their body cavities (zealots stop at nothing)….how would you feel about flying if you had to submit to a body cavity search? Makes as much sense as pat downs and screenings.

Doesn’t your right not to be killed, as you put it, extend to people with guns and drunk drivers, to name just two? So how do you feel about EVERYONE getting on a road having to be screened to see if they’ve been drinking, or if they have a handgun in the car?

Seriously….how far are you willing to go to protect your right not to be killed? The airport security “screenings” don’t work, and if something isn’t working more of the same isn’t going to.

I hope the bills pass. These screenings are in place to appease people such as yourself who thing it makes their flight safer. Dream freakin on.

4. Michael Ryan says:

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” There are few things in life that cannot be summed up in a qoute from Benjamin Franklin.

1. CitizenSane says:

right on POINT sir!!!

5. Grace says:

I believe the current security is required, until an intelligent system is put in place, with pre-screened, background checked travelers having less security intrusion, leaving resources for more likely targets.

6. Fed up by Texas Reps says:

Texas, from the Birthers Bill now to this? whats wrong with Texas? Yeah, as they say… Everything is Big in Texas, even foolishness. Am really tired of these Republicans’ publicity antics. Its utter nonsense and total BS. America has better issues to be addressed and tackled.
    Mr Simpson, use your energy to get people jobs, do something about the bad state of economy that the US is in. Stop wasting time for the sake of people who voted you in.

7. TG says:

Fed Up, Who else should a duly elected official, in any state, ” waste” his time on. I was under the impression that they were inder oath to serve the majority that put them in office in the first place.
    TG

1. L J says:

TG- Your impressiion is incorrect. They swore an oath to serve ALL the people of Texas not just the majority. That kind of thinking is exactly why people make proposals like the rep from Longview, and the one who proposed the bill to make it a felony to hire an illegal immigrant unless they are landscaping or working as domestic labor, and the one who proposed forcing women to have sonograms and hear descriptions of the embryo/fetus before abortion, and the one to make people pay for an official state id to vote. All of these proposals are not intended to make things better but instead, are just to try and get more votes.

1. Lisa says:

It’s funny, LJ, you’re right on so much and yet, you can’t see how airport pat downs are CLEARLY a blatant infringement on our rights. We have the right to be secure in our person.

The bigger picture is that we have gone from a belief in the freedom for all citizens to having to prove through any means government says that we aren’t already guilty of something. Background checks are another example of this.

When asked for your papers on the way to the showers, will you care then?

8. mymoneymyrights says:

Sounds fabulous, I hope more state reps than just Texas have enough common sense, decency and American values to follow his lead. Amen! Hallelujah!!!

For slow people, if they havn’t saved you so far, they probably won’t be able to.. just think about it!! If your going to go, just go peacefully with dignity and self-respect. Have a little American pride about yourself. LOL

9. Bob says:

The entire “terrorism” threat is and has always been overblown. 9/11 was not the worst thing that ever happened and personally I am sick of hearing about it.

10. Joe Perez says:

Stuart, please don’t take this personal. Unlike all those who prefer to make fun of you rather than help you, I have chosen to help. It is no wonder we are being terrorized.

MR SIMPSON I KNOW YOU FILL THAT PEPPLE ARE HAVING THEAR RIGHTS
    Mr. Simpson- I know you feel that people are having their (Civil) Rights
    AFCTED .I YOUST TO WORK AT DALLAS LOVE FILED .WITH GLOB AIR PORT
    affected. I used to work at Dallas Love Field with Globe Airport
    SECERTY .IF YOU TACK AWAY A VERY GOOD TOOL THE TSA HASE RIGHT
    Security. If you take away a very good tool that the TSA has right
    KNOW THEN YOU ARE SENDING A MASSAGE TO ALL THOSE WHO WONT TO
    now, then you are sending a message to all those who want to
    DO A REPET OF 9 /11 .AND THATS WHAT WOLD HAPIN .I HOPE YOU REELY
    do a repeat of 9/11, and thats what would happen. I hope you really
    THINK ABOUT WAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE CHANGING IN THE TEXAS
    think about what you are going to be changing in the Texas
    AIRPORTS .IS IT WORTH IT TO ALL THOSE WHO FLY EVERY DAY .THANKS
    Airports. Is it worth it to all those who fly every day? Thanks
    FOR YOUR ATTN MR STUART ASHCRAFT .
    for your attention. Mr. Stuart Ashcraft

11. Tom says:

I think we should get the choice of having a man or woman do the pat down. I’m married, so I’d enjoy a woman touching my private parts for a change.

12. ojala says:

The bill itself appears to very poorly conceived and written. The actual prose would potentially make ANY contact or security screening at an airport, courthouse, or any other public building a felony.
    ” 3) as part of a search performed to grant access to a publicly accessible building or form of transportation, intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly:
    (A) searches another person without probable cause to believe the person committed an offense; and
    (B) touches the anus, sexual organ, or breasts of the other person, including touching through clothing, or touches the other person in a manner that would be offensive to a reasonable person.
    (f) …. An offense under Subsection (a)(3) is a state jail felony.”
    The language is so vague that a police officer could witness a person walk into a 7-11(which is a public building) with a shotgun under his jacket and a ski mask. The officer would be committing a felony if he stopped and frisked the subject or made any physical contact with the suspect. This is because the officer would be operating on reasonable suspicion and not probable cause which is what is required by this bill.

1. Lisa says:

Oh bull! The probable cause would be that firearms where alcohol is sold is a felony.

13. Koonazz says:

What about those of us who cannot go through a metal detector, and have to be patted down? I have a pacemaker and I cannot pass through a metal detector without it possibly harming my implant. I guess I’ll have to risk the TSA felonious activity of patting me down. I promise I won’t press charges.

14. MissMac says:

@ojala. oh well, the police take so many liberties already, why not this one too? Yeah I have metal implants, and I do set off metal detectors. But usually a “wanding” is sufficient to determine I am wearing an underwire bra and that there is metal in my cervical spine. Went through a metal detector every day to go to work in my old job…they are looking for weapons. But if I had to be hand searched or strip searched to do my job or go places, I would quit the job or stop traveling. Needless to say, I will avoid flying now that this is likely to happen to me.

15. texrealist says:

PROFILE NOW

16. greatreal says:

Just another world-class stupid exercise by a wacko Texas Republican legislator. The state is billions of dollars in the red, the education system is being gutted, critical social services are being sacrificed, etc. etc. Yet apparently these people can’t find anything better to do than worry about things like security pat-downs at airports, and spending time passing legislation like allowing hidden handguns on college campuses, etc.

17. niknak hagar says:

The Republicans file a bill to limit the TSA searches and file a bill to require women who are seeking an abortion to have a sonograms (who pays for it), identification to vote, and we will all be required to carry proof of citizenship in case a local or state police official believes we are illegal alien ……..

“The eyes of Texas are upon you, all the live long day……..”
    “Native Texan” all 58 years. I have never seen a mess quite like this session,

1. niknak hagar says:

P.S. One of my great opportunities in life was to visit the Holy Lands in December 1972 right after the October Wars. We landed in Tel Aviv, Israel. Folks you have no clue what a security check is like until you go through this airport who is diligent at security.

I also remember we had armed troops in the airports in 9/11..

18. Ryan Barrows says:

When will the American’s realize the Republicans are not out to save the country or the state’s? Just make more money for themselves ???

When does it STOP??

I’m sensing another land side victory for the Obama and the Democrats in 2012..

19. Donna L says:

LJ,
    “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ”
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 – 1790), Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759