Man Charged After Fleeing Deadly Crash Scene Involving Baby

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A Lewisville man has been charged with failure to stop and render aid and manslaughter after a baby traveling in the truck he was driving was killed by an airbag.

The incident happened Sunday evening in Dallas as Gerardo Moreno drove a pickup through an alley way behind the Clusters Apartments.

Inside the truck with Moreno was a woman, wearing a seatbelt in the front passenger seat, who was holding her 18-month-old baby in her lap.

At some point the pickup drifted to the right and hit a light pole. The impact of the crash caused the airbags to deploy. The baby suffered serious internal injuries from the impact of being forced in to the airbag by the body weight of the passenger.

The baby was taken to Children’s Hospital, but died from the blunt force trauma.

According to police, after the accident Moreno ran from the scene without trying to help the victims. The 24-year-old later called police and turned himself in.

Moreno is currently being held on $15,000 bond.

Comments

1. 2sister says:

We don’t know that he is an illegal alien. He might be, but the story doesn’t say. All we know is that he is Hispanic.

1. 2sister says:

I just found out he is not a U. S. citizen. This article, however, does not say that. I suspect he is an illegal alien, but can’t say for certain.

2. RYAN says:

CAUSE YOUR DUMB…. THERE IS LIKE 3 MEXICANS THAT ARE ACCUALLY LEGAL IN OUR COUNTRY… AND WHERE IS HISPANIA AGAIN??? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF IT

3. 2sister says:

I agree that more than likely he is here illegally. I’m just saying that we can’t be absolutely for sure until or unless they come out and say that. I know he isn’t a citizen. Also, I didn’t say Hispania. I said Hispanic. Hispanic is the correct term, because not every one with a Spanish surname is from Mexico. I used to work in a daycare for under privileged kids, and one of the students was from South America. I also used to go to church with some people who immigrated here from Columbia.

More than likely, the man in this story came from Mexico, but that can’t be said for certain.

4. 2sister says:

Hispanic describes a culture not a race or place. It’s an ethnic group. There are many subcultures within the Hispanic ethnic group. Mexican refers to the country of Mexico. It does not refer to a race or ethnic group.

2. loipop123 says:

What about the Lady who had the baby in her arms and not in a child seat??

1. 2sister says:

It is illegal not to have a baby that age in a car seat, but the driver is ultimately the one held responsible. I guess she could get charged with child endangerment since she allowed the father to drive without the child probably restrained.

1. 2hellwithpeta says:

in her defense if she was legal here she would know it was illegal to so what she did, BUT since she was not legal it must have been OK…cause in her country it is not illegal to do what she did, since she did it here she should be held responsible for it just as much as the river surfer is being held responsible…..

2. 2sister says:

We don’t know that she was here illegally. It is implied on WFAA that he is here illegally. WFAA says that he is not a U.S. citizen, but doesn’t come out and say that he was here illegally. I guess he could be a legal alien, but I doubt it.

Whether or not someone is here legally or illegally, however, that doesn’t mean that they will all follow the child seat laws. Some people know the laws, but choose to ignore them. This is sad.

3. jason says:

Note to CBS 11, this story is newsworthy, very good. The furry rodent is Mesquite is not.

4. Angel says:

That’s what I was thinking… I can understand him being charged with leaving the scene and manslaughter since he was driving, but she was holding the baby on her lap… she needs to face charges as well.

5. St. John Smythe says:

Yet another, for a total of how many so far? Don’t know, do you. Do you post “Yet another white christian is involved with child molestation” inanities? No, because that would take up all of your time since it is so common.

6. Common Sense says:

Ok people racist assumptions doesnt get to the bottom of the case. For one the oarents were totally wrong for even having the baby outside the car seat. (he who has not sinned cast the first stone) like we aint all changed a diaper driving down the a street. And where he froms has ABSOULTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS ACTIONS everyone here in the us ancestry originated from outside the US so what…what we seek here in the United States is a fair and just trail… so quit being byist and lets work together to find JUSTICE instead of EXTRADITION.

1. upchkn says:

Uh, I never had my child out of the car seat if the car was moving!!! Where he/they are from has a lot to do with this. The illegals live as if they are immune to our laws because they can just pop back across the border until things cool off and they get a new name. They will NEVER receive justice on this side of the river.

1. Carla says:

upchkn , What Are You Gonna Know You Just juddging Without Knowing !

7. sd says:

The bond is so low because Dallas County wants to make some quick cash after he bonds out and returns to mexico. He will then return to Texas and get A new job under another name and kil someone else. If he gets arrested again the process will start over.

1. Carla says:

Hahaha SD ! Your So Funny Not Everyone Is The Same Kayy ?! It Was An Accident He Didnt Killed No One ! IT WAS AN ACCIEDENT ! So Please STFU !

8. nanie73 says:

9. catheryn says:

A BABY DIED YOU IDOT

10. Marie Lawson says:

And what about the women holding the baby in her lap – she needs to be charged as well! That baby should have been in a car seat in teh back seat and probably still be alive! So what of that!

11. Ctina says:

All of you are idiots. The fact of the matter is that news reports are more likely to report on a HISPANIC person than a WHITE person. That’s it. Half of you have probably received some sort of service from someone who is here illegally. Grow up. Keep in mind that this was Mexico to begin and technically YOU are more than likely an IMMIGRANT to this country. Grow up.

12. Redroadking says:

Dong!!! Run for the border!!!! Funny thing, evertime I hear a story about someone fleeing from the scene of a wreck the perpitrator has a hispanic sir name! What’s the deal? Do they teach this manuver in mexican driving school? Do they have diagram showing the proper way to exit a crash vehicle (regardless if there is a dead child in your car, which may or may not be yours)? It just goes to show you that illeagal aliens have no fear of our laws and they do not respect them. It makes me very uncomfortable while driving through a predominantly hispanic area knowing most of the other drivers around me do not have driver’s license or insurance. Why do they run? Could it be because they are hear illegally and they do not want to be deported? Just some food for thought. I hope they hang him out to dry and then send him back to wherever he calls home.

13. Ctina says:

Another Idiot. Yes please fear for your life while driving through a predominantly Hispanic area. Smart Move. My cousin attended a predominantly WHITE private school and thought it would be funny to speed around with his STUPID WHITE FRIENDS who drove fancy cars. a STUPID WHITE GIRL, hit his car and he was thrown from his vehicle and killed. Was she prosecuted no. Why because she was WHITE and it was an accident. She recently was in another wreck while driving drunk and hit a tree, she walked away harmed and didnt face any charges. Its not that WHITE people don’t get in accidents, it is that there IDIOT parents always talk and or buy there way out of it. Its a sad sad world.

1. gotwofast says:

Thinking as the Grandparent I am…should we not be praying for the family that lost a baby

2. Carla says:

Ctina , I totally agree With You ,

14. Ctina says:

The most well thought out comment thus far.

15. gotwofast says:

By the way….all you brain giants that think because he is not a citizen, that makes him illegal, need to look up the law on Naturalization and Immigration….if you know how

16. gotwofast says:

17. Ctina says:

Thank you.

18. gotwofast says:

RYAN
    I know you are not smart enough to look up facts…so read this info. not great at math RYAN so if you need to use paper this there is more that 3 legals here in America…

Hispanic Americans: Census Facts
    As of today there are 1.1 million
    The number of Hispanic veterans of the U.S. armed forces.

15 percent of U.S. Marine Corps enlisted personnel were Hispanic
    Hispanics are more heavily represented in the federal reserves (Army, Naval, Air Force, and Marine Corps Reserves) than in the state-based Army or Air National Guard. Among the federal forces, they are more heavily in the sea services (Naval Reserve and Marine Corps Reserve) than in the ground combat forces. Indeed, as the Marines have been increasingly involved in ground combat operations in Iraq, the share of Hispanic recruits going into the Marine Corps Reserve has declined, from the 2001 figure of more than 14 percent of recruits with no prior service to fewer than 6 percent in 2004. Hispanic representation in the enlisted ranks of the Marine Corps Reserve peaked in 2002 at 15.4 percent. Hispanic representation and recruitment have been consistently lower in the Air National Guard than the Army National Guard, and lower in the Air Force Reserve than in the other federal reserve forces.

19. Fug says:

How about we get back to the facts of all of this- A BABY DIED BECAUSE OF 2 IGNORANT PEOPLE. Discuss……

20. Rick McDaniel says:

People from other cultures, do not care what the laws are in the US. They do as they would in their country of origin…….rightly or wrongly.

21. DANIELLAET says:

you bunch of prejudice HONKIE JERKS.

22. Reality says:

Legal or illegal person makes no difference, the fact is a baby needlessly died by not following our laws and both need to be held responsible for that death no matter or race, creed or origin.
    No driver can force someone to ride with a baby in their lap unless he held a weapon on such person, thus the mother should have put the baby in it’s correct location.
    My cars have never had air bags, but I did use to let my dog ride in my lap on the way to the vet. My brother use to joke that she was my air bag, which stopped me from doing this since he was right-she was in a dangerous place.
    Air bags are meant to save lives, but they often end up taking them also when a small child or adult is hit with one. One size has never fit all. Last I knew this was an issue never address, thus it should be.

23. LUCY says:

I AM GERARDO MORENOS EX GIRLFRIEND AND HE WOULD NEVER HURT ANYONE IN ANY WAY IF ANY SHOULD BE CHARGED AND IN JAIL IT SHOULD BE THE MOTHER OF THE CHILD WHO PASSED AWAY. GERARDO MORENO IS FROM MEXICO BUT THAT DOSENT MEAN THAT HE IS IGNORANT YES HE MADE A BAD DECISION I AGREE IF ANYONE IS TO BLAME IT IS THE MOTHER. I AM A MOTHER OF TWO AND GERARDO HAS DRIVEN ME AND MY CHILDREN AROUND BUT WE ALWAYS HAD THEM IN CARSEATS INCLUDING HIS DAUGHTER THAT WAS IN THE BACK SEAT. HE IS NOT THE TYPICAL HISPANIC YOUNG GUY THAT EVERYONE IS THINKING HE IS HE DOSENT DRINK AND DRIVE HE IS A RESPONSIBLE AND LOVING PERSON WHO MADE A MISTAKE

1. Carla says:

Okay This was a ccident people And I Know Because i Was In The Accident , What Does His race Have To Do with Anything Of This ? Yall Judginq Without Knowing Yall Need To Find Out Things Better , Lucy I Agree With You As Being The Aunt Of His baby I Knw Him really Well And He Is A Really responsible Man He Aint The Kind Of Hispancis That are Ireponsible He Always Is In Good Conditios , That Sunday Night He Was Going To Drop Of My Niece To My House And We Asked Him To Take Us To Buy Milk For My Niece And My 18 Year Old Cousin That Knows Rests In Peace ! He Said Okay Lets Go , As We Were Coming Back Home We Decided To Take An Alley To Do a Short Cut , It Was Really Dark And Not Him , Nor Me , Nor My Cousin (baby Mother) Nor Sister Saw The Liqht Pole And Thats When We Crashed , Thats How Things Happend , According To Me They Botch Have Fault Judge Should Chare Both My Cousin And Gerardo For The Accident Not Just Gerardo ! RYAN Why You Keep Being Raceist ? Haha Am From Here So What Do You Have To Say Bout Me ?

1. Carla says:

I Meant To say 18 month Old Cousin that Know Rests In peace

24. Reality says:

Lucy, no good person would do more for 1 person than they would for another which is what you are reflecting he has done. The blame falls on both of their shoulders. He should have made her buckle the child up correctly or to get out of the car and walk, it’s that simple. Since he didn’t he is responsible since he was driving and caused the wreck himself (would still be his fault had anyone else hit him).

Driving a car without a child buckled up correctly is not a mistake, it’s a death trap waiting to be sprung. It is solely up to adults to protect children and when 1 fails to do it then others should step in to see that it was done, this person did not do that. If you see a child in a hot car left by people who are irresponsible it is up to others to call it in to save the child even though it’s not their child. It doesn’t matter if a child is yours or not, if it gets in your car or home it is your duty to protect it.

25. Carla says:

Okay This was a ccident people And I Know Because i Was In The Accident , What Does His race Have To Do with Anything Of This ? Yall Judginq Without Knowing Yall Need To Find Out Things Better , Lucy I Agree With You As Being The Aunt Of His baby I Knw Him really Well And He Is A Really responsible Man He Aint The Kind Of Hispancis That are Ireponsible He Always Is In Good Conditios , That Sunday Night He Was Going To Drop Of My Niece To My House And We Asked Him To Take Us To Buy Milk For My Niece And My 18 month Year Old Cousin That Knows Rests In Peace ! He Said Okay Lets Go , As We Were Coming Back Home We Decided To Take An Alley To Do a Short Cut , It Was Really Dark And Not Him , Nor Me , Nor My Cousin (baby Mother) Nor Sister Saw The Liqht Pole And Thats When We Crashed , Thats How Things Happend , According To Me They Botch Have Fault Judge Should Chare Both My Cousin And Gerardo For The Accident Not Just Gerardo ! RYAN Why You Keep Being Raceist ? Haha Am From Here So What Do You Have To Say Bout Me ?

Comments are closed.