Threat Of Deadly Horse Virus Cancels Some Fort Worth Events
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Some events at a horse show in Fort Worth have been cancelled because of the threat of a deadly horse virus. An outbreak of an equine herpes virus, in some western states, is behind the cancellation of some cutting horse events next week at the Will Rogers complex.
Rob Werstler, the Executive Director of the Texas Quarter Horse Association, says only the cutting horse events have been cut. “The impact isn’t as bad as it could be,” he said. “Ya know, if there had been some confirmed cases in Texas, they may have even done some quarantines and stopped shows all completely.”
While there have been no cases of the virus in the state officials don’t want to take any chances. “Being cautious, being proactive, and it may have also been some of the horses that may have wanted to compete in those events couldn’t make it to Texas,” explained Werstler.
The number of entries is expected to be down for the show, but Werstler says it’s not because of the virus. “Lots of horses have left the state. Our business is down quite a bit. The economy has really gotten ‘horse people’.”
The Texas Classic Working Western Series will go on with a reduced schedule, from May 21 to 29.