Perry Has Formal Signing Ceremony For Sonogram Abortion Requirement

AUSTIN (AP) – Governor Rick Perry celebrated the passage of a law that requires doctors to conduct a sonogram before performing an abortion with a formal signing ceremony.

The governor had declared the matter emergency legislation and has already officially signed the bill. Perry said the bill would save the lives of thousands of unborn Texans. Tuesday’s ceremony brought together anti-abortion activists who campaigned for the bill. They said it was the toughest law of its kind in the nation.

The law goes into force on Sept. 1. It requires doctors to perform a sonogram before providing an abortion. It also requires the doctor to describe the presence of internal organs or limbs. An exemption is only allowed in emergencies, in cases of rape or incest and when the fetus has fatal abnormalities.

Comments

1. samplerayt says:

My abortion thoughts notwithstanding, this bill seems a bit contradictory. The national healthcare plan has gotten beat up, part of which folks say it’s unconstitutional for the gov’t to say pay for something. Yet, the sonogram has to be paid by someone, presumeably by the woman wanting the procedure. I am glad that they have language to deal with rape, incest, and sever fetal problems.

2. Amanda Wrigglesworth says:

“An exemption is only allowed in emergencies, in cases of rape or incest and when the fetus has fatal abnormalities.” In other words, they don’t think of it as inexcusable murder if the ‘innocent unborn baby’ has been conceived in rape, and their “pro-life” stance is really more about punishing the woman for daring to have a recreational sex life. How can this not be obvious to just about everyone? They are exploiting people’s illogical emotions about unborn babies (in that physiologically, these fetuses are not the same as fully-developed babies, and it’s also much more compassionate to prevent unwanted children then force them into a bad environment) to further their own agenda of prudishness and misogyny. It’s sickening.

3. Pamdragon says:

With so many important issues before the Legislature, only an idiot would consider this bill a good and reasonable thing. Who is going to take care of all the babies that might be born due to this stupid law? Seems that the party that pushed the bill wants the babies born but doesn’t want to support or assist in its raising. “Hey kid, you’re here but on your own!”

1. AMEDINA says:

I AM SO GLAD SOMEBODY SPEAKS OUT.CAN U IMAGINE ALL THESE KIDS MORE FOOD STAMP HELP MORE MONEY R U CRAZY RICK dATS LIKE GIVING THEM MOREFREEDOM TO HAVE ALL D CHILDREN AND LIVING OFF GOVERNMENT…

4. mm says:

Where is the law requiring the man, who also helped to create this ‘unborn texan’, to sit in and listen to the doctor as well as view the sonogram? Seems a little unfair to force a woman to hear the details of it if she is already to the point of going through an already horrible experience.

5. NiteNurse says:

I am a pro choice person and support this law. I think an abortion is an important decision in a woman’s life. You want to make sure you want to do this and if you are certain then a sonogram is not going to change your mind.

6. bigdlady says:

Another Perry “personal project”. Funny how MEN decide for women how and what to do with THEIR bodies…INCLUDING being pregnant. I 100% agree with the comment “what about the “sperm donors”? What should they have to endure to make this decision – and will they be there to help support the child they helped to create? I’m for keeping your baby, ONLY if that’s what you want.

7. KLM says:

I praise this. There are MANY people out there ready & willing to adopt babies & give them a good home. Adoption is a viable choice & it seems like people do t want to acknowledge it. It us a much better and braver option than murder. I had an abortion at 17 & regret it. If there had been a sonogram available, then I likely would have sought a different choice. I now love the 3 children I have & would NEVER recommend abortion!

1. LJ says:

Will you then commit to adopting a child? I hear MANY people say that adoption is the answer for those unwanted pregnancies that will be aborted. However, I don’t know ANYONE who has actually stepped up and done it. Until those that SAY adoption is the best option follow their words and raise some one else’s child, their words ring empty. Women do have the right to choose despite the republicans underhanded attempts to restrict if not completely take away that right. I hope you (and many others) do decide to adopt someone’s unwanted child.

8. Ben Marrow says:

Rick Perry has poor taste.

9. G.M. says:

I agree with you KLM. Thank you for sharing your story. You sound like a revolutionist! Too bad people love death so much. Thank God at least Rick Perry is working to save the lives of the pre-born.

Comments are closed.