Soldiers Returning From War Charged $2,800 For Extra Bags By Delta Airlines

David Rancken, 1080 KRLD

DALLAS (1080 KRLD/AP) – A squad of U.S. Army soldiers returning from the war in Afghanistan had to actually pay to check some of their luggage, just like civilians do here at home.

The soldiers, traveling from overseas through Baltimore and Atlanta – on their way to Fort Polk, Louisiana,  had brought their “full gear” back with them and Delta Airlines charged the squadron of men an additional $2,800 in baggage fees. The soldiers videotaped their accounts of what happened and posted it on YouTube.

According to the soldiers, Delta has an agreement with our Armed Forces over the baggage fees. But the policy states that for military members, three checked bags are allowed in coach and four checked bags are allowed in first class. 14 of the soldiers had fourth bags, and they cost and additional $200 each – which each soldier had to pay out-of-pocket.

Delta apologised for the miscommunication but didn’t say anything about waiving the baggage fees.

Update 2:30 p.m.

Reacting to public outcry, Delta says it will allow members of the military to check four bags for free.

Delta Air Lines Inc. has long allowed three checked bags for active duty military members flying in coach, with charges beginning with a fourth bag. The soldiers said their travel orders allowed four bags.

The video of the two soldiers on a flight from Baltimore to Atlanta went viral and put Delta on the defensive. The video had clocked more than 170,000 views on YouTube by midday Wednesday. It has since been removed by the creator/owner of the video.

(Copyright CBS Radio Dallas 2011 & The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

More from David Rancken
Comments

1. Mike Nolan says:

Delta:

You should be boycotted by all service people. I hope this cost you much more than 2800 dollars.
    Mike Nolan
    Southlake, TX

2. Kathy says:

Delta I will never book a flight through your airline. It amazes me that once you realized your mistake you did not reinburse the soldiers that fight for OUR country. Very disappointed and this is probably not the first time.

3. J says:

Go to http://www.delta.com. Look at the menu options on the top of the page. Choose “Comment/Complaint.” You can leave them a message letting them know that this is just unacceptable.

I left them a message, and I will never fly Delta again.

They should be ashamed of their behavior.

4. Rusty Havener says:

When a simple Thank you is just not enough…

5. Rusty Havener says:

I think the U.S. Army should charge Delta $200.00 for each “4th” Delta employee living under the Freedom that has been provided them?

6. Ms. M says:

How about we send the Delta executives to the frontlines and then charge them $2,800 for doing so? Sounds about right to me.

7. Robert says:

What’s the big deal?

My employer negotiates a contract with an airline for x bags, then they send me on a trip with Y bags. I pay the difference and get reimbursed. It’s the way business travel works.

Why are things different for employees of the military? If they wouldn’t get reimbursed, that’s a problem with the military, not the airline.

I hate to defend stupid baggage fees, but I don’t see delta doing anything wrong.

8. NiteNurse says:

Now this is where the NEWS comes in handy for us litle guys. HOW DARE Delta charge these wonderful soldiers baggage fees. Those chicken poops at Delta deserve a slow walk thru Afghanistan without a soldier at their side and see if they EVER want to charge a soldier baggage fees again!

Comments are closed.