Group Asks Judge To Block Texas Sonogram Law

AUSTIN (AP) – A reproductive rights group wants a federal judge in Texas to block a new state law requiring doctors to conduct a sonogram before an abortion.

The Center for Reproductive Rights has already filed a lawsuit seeking to overturn the law which takes effect on Sept. 1. Friday’s motion asks U.S. District Judge Sam Sparks in Austin to block the law pending the outcome of the lawsuit.

A hearing was not immediately set.

The group claims the law violates the First Amendment rights of both the doctor and patient and discriminates against women.

The law requires a doctor to describe the fetus’ features and allow women to hear the fetal heartbeat. Exemptions are allowed for cases of rape and incest or when the fetus has fatal abnormalities.

1. YRofTexas says:

Not having a sonogram done discriminates against the fetus/child.
    A society that does not protect the lives of it’s children, disabled and seniors is doomed to implode morally.

Besides, its good that the expectant mother have ALL info available to her before embarking on such a critical life changing decision.

1. AC says:

The implosion of Some Morals in this country started over 100 years ago with the industrial revolution. That started to give people choices. We are divided just as much as others on this globe with differant belifs and respective morals. Why must the goverment continue to impose the moral belifs of some and play the guilt card for all over a dividing cell.

2. Ellen Driscoll says:

If I had listened to my child’s heartbeat or seen a sonogram, I wouldn’t have killed my baby those years ago. I have been haunted and regretful every day of my life.

3. Edward Erne says:

Thank you Ellen for your honesty…and I agree whole-heartedly that given the chance to hear and see the life they are about to kill and yes it is killing a life that the prespective mother may have a revelation as to what is actually happening to an unborn child. I know enough couples out there who want to and have not been able to have child and would adopt a child. Our world needs to start going back in the right direction instead of the wrong way!

1. NiteNurse says:

I remember a time before abortions when my mom would talk about women who would use coat hangers or visit alley way abortionists to end their pregnancies. Many of them would suffer horrible infections or die. Many women who get abortions are desperate. The wealthy will always find a way to get an abortion but the ones who aren’t will have resort to horrible illegal ways to get one.

4. Tracy Yates says:

I would not have changed my mind years ago and would have highly resented someone forcing me to watch a sonogram, listen to the heartbeat or a lecture from a doctor. It was and is my body and my decision. Until the fetus is viable outside the womb, it is my choice and decision to make, no one else’s especially a government official. If you choose to decide differently, that is YOUR choice and should not be forced on anyone else.

1. NiteNurse says:

Having a sonogram before your abortion will just help you make certain that ending your pregnancy is what you really want to do. I am very very pro choice but I do feel all women need to have this sonogram done to make very sure this is what they want done. A decision to have an abortion is a very life changing one.

5. Ma'am says:

What are you gonna do, force my eyes open to stare at the screen? STOP imposing your morals on those that I dont agree with you. You are all over “the unborn rights” but once its here, you turn your back on me and my baby, and look down on us. WAY to much front end control, and absolutly no support after. If you are going to go over the edge like this, start charging and jailing women who smoke, driink and dont attend church while preggers

6. Sir says:

How about keeping your damn legs closed in the first place…welfare addict!

1. Choice says:

Thats right, put it in the fanny, then no need for a nanny

7. Compare solicitors says:

Compare solicitors : The UK solicitors directory based on top client ratings helps you find the best local solicitor. Compare how others have rated good solicitors

8. Have you ever considered creating an ebook or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would appreciate your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.

Comments are closed.