North Texas Police K9 Dies After Being Left In Hot Car

GREENVILLE (CBSDFW.COM) – A K9 officer in Greenville has died.

The Greenville Police Department is grieving over the loss of one of its two police dogs.  Her name was Liberty, but she died trapped in the back of a hot squad car.  Her handler apparently forgot to put her in the police department kennel when he got off work Wednesday afternoon.  “This is a difficult time for the Greenville Police Department,” Chief Dan Busken told CBS 11 News.  And he adds the officer feels terrible.  “He’s devastated, and I don’t know if that term is even strong enough.”

Ironically, the officer, Jeff Gore, created the K-9 unit 11-years ago.  He raised Liberty from a pup.  A bloodhound, she was used for search and rescue, which is why she was kenneled.  The other dog, Ceiko, is a drug sniffing German Shepherd, and goes home with its handler because they get called out at all hours.

Chief Busken says we all suffer from a busy lifestyle and things competing for our attention.  “Whether we’re shuttling kids here or there, whether we’re shuttling animals here or there, we get busy and inadvertently things happen. And there’s times when you have a tragedy like we have here.”

Despite the emotional loss to the department it must still determine whether any laws were broken or city or departmental policies were violated, so investigations along those lines are already underway.

Sometimes Texas courts have ruled a dog’s death in a hot car as cruelty, depending on circumstances, including time of year.  Dallas had its own tragedy in 2004 when a German Shepherd, Queno, was left in a police car.  It has since introduced an alarm system alerting drivers of a hot car, including paging them.

Gore has been put on administrative duties while the issues are sorted out.    His police association released a statement of support, saying the “police family” is hurying.   “Our Association supports our K-9 handler and his family in their time of grief,” it said in part, “and would ask that the public respect his time of grief as well.”

Rose Thornhill has placed 3-thousand animals in the Greenville area through her Yellow Rose Rescue.  “Doing rescues you see it a lot and it’s just a horrible feeling, I’m getting chills just thinking about it.”  She adds, “I don’t really know how you could forget you had one back there, but I guess things happen. He probably feels horrible, I know I would.”

Yellow Rose Rescue can be reached through www.adoptapet.com; by e-mail at thornhillrm@hotmail.com; or by telephone at 903.422.5112

Comments

1. JimH says:

When a citizen assaults a police dog its considered a crime against an officer. Since this officer was obviously negligent how is he not being charged with a crime?

1. Pedro Garza says:

Exactly! When a citizen kills a police dog, it is almost as serious as killing a cop. This police officer needs to be prosecuted for negligent homicide. To care so little for a 7 year, highly valued partner, speaks volumes to the officer’s inability to perform his job in an acceptable manner.

1. no says:

“almost as serious as killing a cop”.

Are you KIDDING me? People actually *like* dogs.

2. Mike says:

Moron alert.

3. Fanny Forbes Franklen says:

Another degenerate cop that thinks he’s above the law. They’re stupid, arrogant and worse useless. http://911essentials.com

4. CB says:

@Pedro – You’re an idiot!

5. CB says:

@Fanny – Don’t call us then, you knucklehead.

6. Ball says:

If I kick or stab a K9 police officer, I will be charged with assaulting a police officer, so will the K9 cop murdering police officer be charged with murdering a police officer?

7. Scott who employs Cops says:

@ CB We will call you because WE PAY YOUR SALARY! DON’T FORGET THAT!

8. Marcia Reed says:

I thought most K9 dogs lived as family members with the handler’s family. Forgot to drop her off at the police kennel? Gimme a break. And the fool that left the dog in the back of the car is credited with “founding” the department’s K9 program. Well, no wonder they spend their off time in a kennel. The man is a moron!!!

9. Animal Farm says:

A pig kills a dog and the sheep keep paying his salary.

When will the charges of animal cruelty be filed against this criminal in uniform?

How many times has this police department done the same thing with people and gotten away with it?

10. James says:

Some people need to read the laws. Unlike most states, Texas does not look upon K9’s deaths the same as Police Officer deaths. Therefore it is no where close to the same severity as far as offenses go. I do wish they would change the law to make it as serious as K9’s are exposed to the same (and worse) dangers than human Officers.

2. In Dallas says:

This is despicable. This so-called officer needs to be charged just as anyone would be if they left their dog in a hot car and it died. Completely ridiculous.

1. Varnette says:

I agree – laws must be followed by EVERY citizen. However, I think this shows how insane some of the ordinances and laws are. Things happen in real life, and are only considered a crime because some do-gooder wanted a special law. The cop shouldn’t be given any breaks, but maybe the city should get rid of it’s more ridiculous ordinances, or the state – if they make leaving a dog in a hot car a crime.

3. Ed says:

When a citizen does this they are arrested and charged. So id this Cop above the law? Is that what you are saying Greenville Police dept.

4. gotatake says:

Big difference between a deliberate act and an accident. This comment is a little bit self-righteous, especially for someone who cannot do the critical thinking to figure that out. Do you honestly think a deliberat assault should be treated the same as a memory lapse?

1. DavidInStLouis says:

Correct! gotatake.

2. dev says:

How do you forget the dog in the car unless you are a complete moron. I have had my dog ten years, and all the other dogs I have had in my family and not one was ever FORGOTTEN in the car.

3. Dontgotta! says:

So Gota? Next time some crackhead mon “has a memory lapse” are you going to standup and say “it’s ok she didn’t mean it. The law is the law, equal protection, equal responsibility, equal punishment.

4. momma of 5 says:

Memory lapse? Really? Normal people sometimes forget their animals in the vehicle and this happens and they get in major trouble. While I feel sorry for the officer he should be treated no differently that a civilian.

5. John Miller says:

It’s not a good comparison people are making. You’re right that a deliberate assault is different. However, what you aren’t addressing are two things. First, even if it is not deliberate it is considered animal cruelty and any other citizen would be charged as such, and should be. So should this officer. Second, they are saying he forgot, but how do you forget someone you care about? It talks about him caring so much for the animal and raising it from a pup. If he cared the FIRST thing he would do when he got to the station would be to take the dog out of the car. There’s no excuse. It is animal cruelty plain and simple.

6. CWA worker says:

Well then the cop should be charged and he can go before a judge and/or jury and plead his case.
        Just like all the rest of us.
        He is definitely NOT special.

7. John Patricio says:

If you or I forgot our dog in the car and it died we would still be arrested, accident or not.

8. Robert C Glass says:

If I did it, then it must be on purpose and I will be in trouble, he does it and it is assumed by accident and he is a grieving PO.

9. Daisy Healy says:

Memory lapse? Oh, please if he has a memory lapse with his parter the dog who works with him. What happens if his memory lapses with a Greenville citizen. I hate to think.

5. Tim C says:

What a complete idiot HE FORGOT. And we trust this moron with a gun? I hope he doesn’t forget he has a gun when he brushes his teeth. I’m sure the union will protect him from anything like they do bad teachers. Give him a desk or put him on poop patrol

6. SC2Pilot says:

Exactly right. There is an obvious double standard that comes with the thin blue line. Police officers are never, ever held accountable when they commit crimes. This is a clear case of criminally negligent homicide resulting in the death of a police officer. This bad cop should be in prison.

7. JP1 says:

Thinking the same thing

8. Cynthia Tebay Burleson says:

A police dog is a Police Officer and that officer that left his dog in the car should be charged as such. This is terrible.

9. Clifford E. Elisary says:

Because this happened in Texas Damn fools. Others have been put in Jail for this sort of neglect lets see if the Law in Texas is equal. MY GUESS IS THAT IT IS NOT!!!!!!!

10. jharry3 says:

JimH you are right. The K9 cop should be in jail for animal abuse and for killing a police dog. Why should police, of all people, be above the laws they gleefully enforce on the rest of us?
      I saw two cops arresting someone in a shopping center parking lot this weekend because that person left their pet in the car in the sun.
      At a minimun the cop should be charged with the same crime.
      But since cops lobbied the legislature to pass laws putting K9 dogs in the same category as humans those laws should apply.
      Two weeks ago in houston the police sicced a K9 on a person whose girl friend made false accusations against. While the K9 was mauling this guy he hit the dog. 15 minutes later it was determined the girl friend was a liar and the man endd up being released later that day. But then the cops said because he hit the dog during the mistaken arrest they may charge him with assault on a police dog.

11. jharry3 says:

Jeff Gore – the dog killing cop, gets a paid vacation while he grieves the dog.
      If I left my dog in a car to die my vacation would be in the graybar motel and I would be grieving the loss of my freedom.

2. Elmer says:

Where are the animal cruelty charges?
    Fogetfullness is not an excuss for us.

3. JJ says:

How can you “forget” . . .that is nearly as hard to understand as how people “forget” that their child was in the car. The dog should not have been left in the car even for a short period of time.Aside from the animal cruely issue, which is obvious, how much did the dog’s training cost taxpayers? I would think thousands of dollars – the officer should be held accountable. He most certainly should never be allowed to have another K-9. I agree with JimH – a police officer should face the same consequences as anyone else.

4. samantha says:

notice we are not told the officers name…because animal supporters like myself, would be out in greenville demanding justice…very sad and frustrating story, he better face the same charges a civilian would have faced…

1. RussP says:

You mean like the civilian parent who leaves their kid in a car to die and usually ends up facing nothing? Yes this is sad and a way to prevent it in the future is necassary but we can’t hold the officer to a higher standard than we do anyone else in the same situation.

1. lisa says:

End up facing nothing? I havent seen that yet. Everyone that i have read about the parent was charged.

2. RussP says:

Lisa,

I just googled this and it’s seems about 50/50 with whether the parent is arrested or not but I could not find one case where the parent ended up charged, in court and in jail.

3. Melissa says:

“Civilian” Parent???? Don’t you mean citizen? Obviously you are a LEO, and have forgotten we are citizens of this country, not enemy combatants. It is frightening to think that this officer’s mind is so pre-occupied that he would leave his partner in a hot car to die. I can’t imagine what would happen if he had a suspect in the car! Some actions or inactions are indefensible! Where is the overisight from the department administration? Obviously this officer was very stressed-out and unable to do his duties. Didn’t anyone notice? R.I.P. Liberty.

4. Ken says:

To RUSS P:

Russ I don’t know where you were educated but a Police Officer is to be held to a Higher Standard, in a situation like this.
        Wake up RUSS Obama is NOT going to have a second term.
        Krusty the Klown could run against him, And Win.

5. dev says:

@ken – you idiot. this has nothing to do with obama you arrogant christian tool

6. TomK says:

Cops ARE civilians, genius.

7. chech says:

Actually, we can and should always hold officers to higher standards

We need laws saying that cops get 2x the max, mandatory, if they are ever caught committing a crime

8. Paul says:

What are you talking about? Here in Arizona kids and animals in cars happens a lot, sadly, and they are ALWAYS prosecuted and usually serve prison time.

9. John Patricio says:

Russ, you said “we can’t hold the officer to a higher standard”. Yes we can, that dog wasn’t just a dog. It was an Officer!

10. landlord says:

To:Russ,
        Holding EVERY officer to a higher standard is why they/we are entrusted with the power to “arrest” , the power to sway judges with written reports, and to employ lethal enforce. We have been trained, educated and have sworn an oath pledging that we can always be trusted to exercise sound judgement and ethics.

As with our actions our written word must be trusted more than any journalistic code could survive with. Our words written to CYA when we err, or written in anger because some street turd spoiled our day results in people being deprived of liberty and subject the the causal indifference/in-inefficiency of our legal system….notice i don’t use civilian as I am not that far gone as to imagine I am an LEO 1st, and then a dad, son, neighbor 2nd …and I never will, nor will I shave my head crew-cut/marine style as I don’t wish to groom my self to send a signal that I am no longer a real person because I need to show that I carry a badge.

Regular folks notice the need for the young LEO’s of today to wish to project their separation from the people, they adopt dress, mannerisms and grooming styles to show out-loud if you will, that even when off-duty they want you to know they are a LEO. This trait is all to common and shows the growing trend of LEO’s have self-identity and ego issues to deal with.

These are the most dangerous type of officers ever to join the ranks, they are the reason why the general public are opening their eyes to the image problem as of late.

To all you young officers or aspiring ones, : Please choose another profession if what you really seek is the exercise of power over others…you know EXACTLY what I am referring to. I have a suggestion: We mandate that a “civilian” shrink monitor every recruit, cadet and rookie on a daily basis when in training and the Academy, and then the 1st 3 months, then weekly for 3 years. The civilian shrink will have the sole discretion to expel the candidate from training due to “physiological concerns” at any point.

In ten years this enlightened process will bear fruit as the steady flow of unbalanced ego’s will have abated. If the chiefs all over our nation are not working towards this end then we shall soon be trusted by the “civilians” with the same degree of respect afforded to used car salesman, TSA/IRS agents, or worse.

Oh..and btw…Stop tattooing yourself’s…you walk up to my desk/door with flames & skulls and the like covering your arms then expect me to question your judgement and ability to reason, and consequently, your veracity and fitness to serve.

2. MD says:

The second paragraph of the article will give you the officers name. Might want to read before you post. See you in Greenville

1. Cheryl Cheney Fox says:

I was wondering how his name was overlooked! Yep, see ya in Greenville..

2. CONNECTICUT SSN 042-68-4425 says:

3. Animal Farm says:

It says Officer Michael Vick on my screen.

Why did Mke Vick go to jail again?

3. michael says:

Reread the article. The officer’s name is there.

4. RM says:

Read it again dopey

5. cop killer dog killer says:

Jeff Gore

5. Frank says:

This is terrible, there should be know excuse for this, i do feel terrible for the officer who left his partner in the car im sure he and the department are going through a rough time, but that does not excuse the officer of some kind of discipline or punishment for his actions this could have easily been a child, god forbid and then we might take this most seriously, I dont know what his punishment should be but it should start with a firing of this careless officer and then go from there, dont brush this under the rug, apology is not enough!!!!!

6. NiteNurse says:

This is so very sad. I am sure the officer is devastated beyond belief. These dogs are so very valuable to the officers and the citizens they help protect. It costs thousands of dollars and several years to train these dogs. Maybe a alarm of some sort could be installed when you have to work with the dogs.

1. ruff1951 says:

Maybe if this Cop would have used common sense and removed the dog from the car in the first place. Alarms or what ever wouldn’t have to be even an option. Ignorance is no excuse for the law. Obviously this poor dog was only a tool used by this cop, or he wouldn’t have left him in the car to DIE.

2. Daisy Healy says:

He has been with this dog how many years and he forgot about the animal? How can this be? Shame on him. I could see if he forgot about him for a few minutes and then came back to get her. Yet to not remember for a period of time? Relieve this officer of his duties or do not let him be responsible for the dogs anymore. Poor dog.

7. Jeff D Johnson says:

Glad to know we have so many perfect people here.

1. lisa says:

It isnt about being perfect but responsible for a life.

1. Jeff D Johnson says:

And people are human. Mistakes happen. Everyone that keeps saying how inexcusable this was need to stop and think about what can happen to the human mind when it is overwhelmed.

2. Concerned for officer says:

that officer is under more stress of being RESPONSIBLE for every life in Greenville, Texas

3. Beau says:

If that’s the case, I pity the citizens of Greenville.

2. Tate says:

The bottom line is that there are real world consequences to this man’s ineptitude. His neglect has resulted in the the death of an officer and he should be charged. If he is not charged then this is just another in a litany of cases where the police are above the law.

3. Emlee Lage says:

Consequences are a part of life…responsible people know that – children try to avoid consequences but not responsible people – the officer needs to be relieved of duty…he is not responsible enough to serve…

8. Melissa says:

“Liberty had had the same handler for more than seven years.”

How does one forget their “partner” in a hot car if they’ve been together for more than seven years…SAD!!!!

9. Big_Dog says:

What a beautiful dog! Such a sad story!

10. CL says:

HOW COULD HE “FORGET”…..my dogs make noise when i leave , or at the least move around…..i hope cruelty charges are filed and that this officer is NEVER allowed to be a K-9 handler ever again….RIP LIBERTY……may justice be done for you if not in this life then the next….

11. oldman69 says:

sure hope this clown doesn’t have any children with a memory such as his.Animal cruelity charges at the least

12. Washingtonian says:

All Police Agencies with K9 Units should be mandated by law to have “HOT DOG” units in their cars. A “HOT DOG” unit keeps the vehicle’s temperature cool when the vehicle is on or off. This should be considered animal neglect. The problem is the Citys and smaller agencies refuse to buy the “HOT DOG” Units for their K9 units, which is ridiculous. The agencies and city’s should not have a choice!

1. RussP says:

These are great devices but would not have mattered in this case since the officer thought he had already removed the dog and would have shut the device off. If I understand them correctly, they do not operate 24/7 in the vehicle but only when activated by the handler.

1. Col. John Matrix says:

Then “HOT DOG” needs to be revised to where the dog’s collar has a IR chip that automatically activates the system when the dog enters the car, and the system is “UN-OVER-RIDEABLE” while the dog is in the car.

I agree with “Washingtonian”, it should be Federal Law that any agency using K-9’s must have a “Revised” (with the IR chip I described above) HOT DOG system in every car/vehicle that the K-9 will be transported in, on or off duty. If a “Smaller” community can afford a trained K-9 which can cost over $20,000+ they should be able to afford the safety system to keep them safe, and If that community can’t afford the system, they should be prohibited from having a K-9 until they get the system and it is certified by the Humane Society or ASPCA as properly functioning. I would be for the Federal Gov’t even subsidizing up to 35% percent of the cost of imlementing these Improved HOT DOG system in smaller/poorer communties.

We have the technology to make such accidents as this virtually impossible to happen, and it really should be utilized! Either take the necessary precautions to prevent such accidents, or stop using K-9’s in police work! If a poor community spends $20K for a dog, don’t you think they would want to spend an extra $3K to protect that investment?!

13. Rick McDaniel says:

That was criminal on the part of the officer.

14. Bernadette Kreischer says:

first any idiot knows better here in tx, how hot it gets….second…a police officer…really…if that is who is protecting the people, maybe time to retire….there is no excuse …and being a police officer died in a care there should be charges

15. Paul says:

I wonder if he was an organ donor? Sounda like at least one local cop is in desperate need of a brain.

16. Remyhound says:

I know this officer and yes while it is tragic about what happened to Liberty, yall are condeming him before you have all the facts. It is my understanding that the officer had somekindof emergency situation arise with his family. Liberty was asleep in the car and didnt make any sounds as the officer was signing out early to take care of the emergency, and in his worried state the horriblly tragic ACCIDENT happened!! This officer has dedicated his life to protect citizens, not judge them like you all are doing to him. Let all of the facts comeout and the administration and legal justice system will do the right thing! Until then please remember John8:7 “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone “.

Hey bro, if you see this, my heart goes out to you in your time of grief and God bless Liberty, may she rest in peace.

ML and K9 Remy

1. Joe says:

Just because it was an accident does not mean it is not a criminal offense. The positive defense of “I had an emergency and forgot about the dog” is not valid. The dog was left in the car, he was responsible for the dog, and thus should be charged with a misdemeanor for the actions that direclty led to the death of his friend. A crime does not always need to be intentional in order to be a crime. Sorry buddy, but your friend is an idiot and needs to be charged and subsequently fired.

2. Melissa J. says:

Please remember what all you LEO’s are saying to the citizens who pay your salaries. Next time you go to pull over someone for a traffic violation, or a crime that you see being committed, remember that person might have an “emergency”, or “forgot”, or was under “stress”. Then judge not less ye be judged, officers!

1. Judy says:

Melissa, just so you know, MANY more people are let go than given tickets every day for various reasons. Officers accept excuses from citizens every day. If everyone who was stopped for a traffic violation actually received a ticket, that’s all police would be doing all day is writing tickets. Most police let more people go than they actually ticket.

3. James says:

Yeah boy, let’s cover for this moron. You can go straight to h el l

4. Scott the CITIZEN says:

It is tragic what happened, and I am sure he is devastated. But accident or not officers are not above any law, period! The mindset of our officers in this country has changed drastically. It’s almost like you forgot we are the people who pay your salary.
      It is interesting how people are laying such a back story on behind the accident and personalize the story trying to lessen the end result. You do that because you treat the officer differently because you know him. The irony of that is that was generally the mindset of our officers many years ago towards us “CIVILIANS”… But now we are treated like enemies in our own country. And NO, I have never been arrested or have a record at all. But my eyes are open enough to see a lack of respect on an epidemic level buy our law enforcement.
      The unfortunate bottom line is he murdered a Police dog which is a Class 3 felony.

5. Emlee says:

He didn’t have an emergency – he had a busy schedule…big difference…quit making excuses for a slacker…he needs to be off the force if he can’t remember his partner of 7 years…he’s a jerk!!!

6. Paul says:

My friend had a family member with an emergency- he rushed to the hospital and left his cat in the car and it died. He was prosecuted for it. Why is this any different? Please explain how it’s different. Either you believe my friend was wrongly arrested & prosecuted by the police & state, or you believe that the officer is above such laws simply because of his job.

7. jim says:

your pathetic making excuses for some sick as/s h/ole you know nothing and you sit and make up lies to protect this filth. I swear people like you are exactly what the new leader of this trashed county want born bred slaves ready to serve the overload no matter what. you are a sorry excuse for a human no spine at all weak to the core disgusting. feeble minded slaves like you make me ill you are a disgusting excuse for an american or a man or woman for that matter slither back to your pond spineless worm.

8. ZZ says:

Bull#@!!

9. STUPID GREENVILLE COPS says:

yea ok you and him are the same….so you gona leave your dog in the car too??
      WHY IS OFFICER JEFF GORE NOT IN JAIL??
      HE FORGOT ???? YEA RIGHT
      SO IF THIS WAS A CHILD NOT A DOG IT WOULD STILL BE OK ?? YOU COPS ARE SICK…….

17. MadHatter says:

Cop out was what I just read as a reason for this. Busy life and just forgot, yeah excuse people use with kids all the time. I’m sure the officer feels bad, same as if he left his kid in the car bad. But routines are routines, thus since this was a routine to put it in a kennel it’s done without thinking just like locking your car or home doors is. It was a very expensive dog due to the cost of training so I think it goes farther than just animal cruelty since it’s also a rip off taxpayers money via gross negligence.
    I am not perfect and have made mistakes, but never ever have I made a mistake that got a person/partner killed. Comments said it was a family pet, well no family pet is kept at the departments kennel. Family emergency, my friend I drove to the hospital while my father was dying and no I did not speed or kill anyone on the way, but yes I did arrive to late and I loved him very, very much. If he gets this scatter brained in an emergency, then he needs to hang up his badge. Now tell us why the search and rescue dog was with him, did he forget the call he was just on also?

18. MadHatter says:

I am very sure this officer feels bad about what happened and feels the loss. Yet due to the expense he should not just get away with just feeling bad. The only way he should be allowed to stay an officer is if he pays for the training of the next dog out of his own pocket, then he is less likely to forget a partner no matter if it’s 2 or 4 legged or if a personal emergency comes up or not. Even if he resigns he needs to be fined the cost of the dog. We all make mistakes and sometimes we all end up paying for those mistakes for a lifetime and that is what officers that do this need to do via their grief and repayment to the taxpayers. It is not about the money though, it is about the loss of a very valued life.
    Solutions:
    Insurance is for accidents and the dog did not die in an accident, thus the officers need to personally pay for it. With that in mind they will be as vigilant with their K9 partner as they are with their weapons in any kind of emergency.
    Dogs ride in the front seat since they are your partner and not a suspect or criminal which makes them harder to forget even asleep or not making a sound.
    Baby on board on the sign out sheet along with location of partner.
    They also go home with you at night and never put in a kennel unless it is in your home. Absolutely no excuse to leave them in a kennel at the police department if your their handler.

1. Diane says:

Training of these dogs is intensive and expensive. If this police officer had misplaced or damaged equipment of this value, there would be administrative and probable financial consequences. The fact that this ‘equipment’ was a living, breathing thing only makes it worse. And while I can appreciate the officer made a mistake, law enforcement regularly tickets, arrests or charges people for unintentional acts. Ignorance or absence of malice is no excuse for thousands of people int he court system today. Gore should be reprimanded officially and charged for the cost of purchasing another dog for the force in Greenville.

19. MadHatter says:

VIP I love animals like others who have posted do, yet I realize police K-9’s are a lot different from the average pet. I have never been for training a dog to go in and do a mans job, yet search and rescue is an area I agree with using them or sniffing out things. Training them to attack though is where I disagree with their use for the sake of people and the dog.
    I realize how hot it is outside and if the officer had been out walking with the dog even after cooling off in the car your brain cells do not recover from being baked so fast, thus when a family problem came in maybe you could forget what you had been doing the past hour or so, not me since I’ve been through a lot of crisis but we are all different. So yes all the details of what happened are not in this article, thus none of us need to jump the gun since we don’t have all the facts.
    If I had done something like this even without a fine I would pay the taxpayers back to get another search and rescue dog trained ASAP no matter if it took years to pay back the expense. I would also want all the solutions I posted set up to prevent it from happening to anyone else and would still want to work with the dogs. Younger right after an animal died I would get another one since so many needed homes and it helped lift the other animals and my spirits. Now I can’t afford as many, nor haul food I am not replacing them until I get their numbers and sizes down. Makes life harder on us during the grieving process, but time does heal it. Even when we make mistakes or have accidents we must pay our dues and get right back in the saddle if you can stand to do so which some can and some can’t.

20. otisblotis says:

Maybe an accident, but he still did it; just like Dallas cop who ran down the kid on a bike. he got 3 days leave then a promotion.

Cops should be proud to be held to a higher standard, but they just get a pass.

Double standard is NO standard.

this 2 legged waste of oxygen needs to face a jury.

21. pat says:

How could he forget. This makes me sick

22. marlene osentoski says:

The fact this officer forgot is NOT an excuse for the negligence the caused his partners death. I am certainly not perfect either but never has my actions caused the death of another. This K9 depended on his partner to care for him and I’m sure he wondered as he was dying where his beloved partner was. What a horrible way for a HERO to die. This officer shoulod be brought up on the same charges a civilian would merit if they killed a K9, This was a police officer killed by neglect in the line of duty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. WaveBye says:

No one is any more upset about hearing what happened to Liberty than I am since animals are my life, yet just on a few facts you have tried and convicted someone which is not what justice or Liberty is all about.
    Now some mind reader is trying to say what Liberty was thinking right before death, well dear mind reader you lack knowing anything about dogs. Sure Liberty was maybe thinking where the partner was, but a dog loves everyone in their lives to their last breath. How do I know this? Because I have held the paws of several of my dear ones as they where put to sleep. Because as a child over 50 years ago one was put into a kennel for 2 weeks while we went on vaction and it had starved itself to death thinking we where never coming back. See back then they wouldn’t take it to a vet or call long distance in order to save a dogs life. So no dogs who love their partners do not have mean thoughts in their last moments, they go out loving them just as much as they ever did. Thus unlike you, Liberty would want no harm to come to her partner over this or over anything.

1. Beau says:

Oh, STFU!

1. WaveBye says:

KMA and no I will not when it comes to the lives of animals. Your name doesn’t turn up much worth honoring your request since your comments have not pretained to Liberty.

24. WaveBye says:

Now raise your hand if you have been out working in this heat. Remember 2 recently died from it with 1 only outside for 1 hour. Those who do more than sit under AC most of the time know what heat exposure can do even if your not suffering from heat stroke, heat does affect your train of thought. Even climitized people die in severe cold and heat waves or get less swift in them. I would accept an accident caused by that more easily than I would for some joker on a cell phone end up hitting and putting me in a wheel chair.
    Not having the facts I don’t know if heat played into it, but face it we don’t have all the facts thus the most we can say is no matter what, it should result in changes that will prevent this from ever happening again and more than just a slap on the wrist for someone who is already hurting anyway since it was a needless loss of taxpayers money. Another question is how with all the people in the department, how come it too so long for anyone to know this K9 was missing? He left with a K9 and came back without one. Give your K9’s a check in and out sheet too if none of you can miss a dog any faster than you can miss a human.

25. normbal says:

Such a tragedy. What a loss of honor. Might I suggest an honorable means of atonement for the responsible officer: Seppuku?

26. John H. says:

This guy does not have a thing to worry about “His police association” / union will get him off without even so much as a warning. Now your or I would be facing criminal charges, one set of laws for the police one set for everyone else.

1. jerry says:

actually he’ll probably get time off with pay while they “investigate”

1. Emlee says:

Exactly!!!

27. Davis says:

Cops are smart.

1. Mark says:

LOL!

28. Matt Fabbro says:

“I forgot.” that doesn’t seem to work for other individuals who have done this. What a crock, once again it appears the law is there to apply as somebody in charge sees fit rather than just enforcing the law and letting a court and judge decide.

More typical corruption that people in charge can determine if they want to move forward or not. If this was somebody else or a mother with a child, the “I forgot” excuse would not fly.

29. Edwardo says:

This officer raised her from a pup and started the K9 unit – you think he isn’t completely destroyed by this? Especially knowing it was his fault?

One absent minded mistake and he’s going to be buried in guilt the rest of his life. As an animal lover I feel an incredible amount of sympathy for the officer.

Whatever punishment that is going to happen will happen. But this reminds me of the case when a father shot and killed his own daughter thinking she was a burglar – the daughter was sneaking in as a surprise to her family. Jury no-billed him because both the DA and Judge thought his anguish was enough punishment.

1. jerry says:

sorry but that example has no weight here. shooting a burglar is not illegal. leaving a dog in a hot car is. it was not a ‘mistake’ but negligence.
      my dog rides in the car with me everyday and i have NEVER left her in the car by mistake. but i did, i should be charged even though i would be crying for days over the death of my friend.
      but this cop won’t be charged because he’s a cop. a civilian would be

2. Beai says:

I hope he’s reminded of his stupidity every day till he dies.

30. Bruce says:

police officers must be held to the same standards of discipline as citizens are – most police when charged with a crime – get paid leave – which to me sounds like a reward vacation

31. Jim says:

Lots of ignorant folks in here. It was an accident, not intentional. You don’t charge peole criminally for accidents. If I was an officer with a K-9, and I brought him to your house and he ate some of your rat poinson or fell in your pool and drowned, you would not be charged with anything.
    Also, killing a K-9 is not NOT the same as killing an officer so cut all of that talk about prosecuting the officer criminally.

1. Montford John Greenwood says:

Really. maybe you should do some fact checking or stop being a paid shill. If you hit a police dog you get charged with assaulting a police officer.

2. sloopyinca says:

Um, sorry Jim, but it was the negligence of the officer that led to the accident.

When a driver hits and kills a small kid on a bike because they weren’t paying attention, do you call it an accident as well?

When a person is talking on a cellphone and runs a red light, ending in the death of a pedestrian, is it just an “accident?”

Sorry, but this idiot doesn’t get a pass just because he’s a cop. Anyone who is negligent enough to leave a police dog (I will not refer to it as an “officer” until it can walk upright) in a hot car to die deserves the same punishment as any civilian whose negligence results in the same death.

This reverence for the thick blue line is not only misguided, but leads them to believe they are above the law in other situations, often with tragic results for real people.

3. jerry says:

really? ever heard of criminal negligence? intent to commit a crime is not essential to define as a crime

32. Montford John Greenwood says:

1) Officers are public servants and should not be above any law, regardless of what anyone says. This is a fact.

2) The poor pooch was the responsibility of the officer. The officer KILLED another officer and should be tried as such.

3) Citizens are the GOVERNMENT of this country. The supposed “government” are actually representatives.

4) If citizens refuse to stand up and do more than waive signs nothing will happen. I’m not calling for violence, but special elections and citizens demanding justice for all sectors and not just the private sector.

33. Cathy Strait says:

How do you forget your partner? The dog died a horrible death. I would hate to team up with this “forgetful” cop.

34. Capt America says:

Stupid cop. So you are a K9 officer, but FORGOT that you have a dog in the back after your shift?????

This officer and his supervisor should immedialty be fired and the officer should be charged with Murder of a police….. The same charge that would happen if you or I killed a police K-9.

35. DAVID LEE says:

FORGOT MY ASS. FIRE THE INCOMPETENT OFFICER.. ANYONE WITH BRAIN DAMAGE SHOULD NOT BE ON THE JOB

36. sandalwood says:

Geez, police are supposed to have a lick of sense!

1. Beau says:

You’d be surprised.

37. Lane E. says:

Why weren’t the WINDOWS LEFT OPEN a couple of inches (as a default) once the dog got in the car???

That’s what I do as a precaution as soon as I take my dogs somewhere…..

I also have another habit—I always check the back seat when locking my car….

How can you forget that you took the dog out with you for the day????

There should be PROTOCOL already in place. This should have never happened!!!!!!!!!!!

38. Walter Dixon says:

I am very mad abou the dog whether it was a K9 or a just a doggie!
    Cop should be fired

39. WDJ says:

Even if you don’t think he should be punished for the life of the dog, he should be disciplined for wasting an asset that undoubtably cost the tax payers thousands of dollars.

40. ANIMALAURA says:

I guess if he’d left a HUMAN BABY in the back seat… he’d be put on admin leave?? THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE… THIS DOG WAS A POLICE OFFICER…AND JUST AS VALUABLE AS A HUMAN BABY. WHAT A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE WAY TO DIE!!!

41. Mark Matis says:

Look, he’s a “Law Enforcement” officer. Laws are only for Mere Citizens. They won’t touch him, and you all know it.

And then they wonder why they are called pigs.

42. Mike_88 says:

That is involuntary manslaughter of a cop. Set the trial date. You would press charges to any “criminal” who touched a k9 while being mauled.

43. Dandee says:

A dog does not equate a small child. Get real. Maybe the dog was asleep in the back seat and this guy was anxious to get off work for some reason. In any event, he should have to pay to replace said dog and that includes all the training and taxpayer expenses. I wouldn’t release the officer’s name either as evidenced by these out of balance posts. No doubt this officer is sick about his lack of concentration and should be given other duties not requiring responsibility for others.

1. Rob says:

This should be a murder charge, no different then the Casey / Caylee Anthony, only the Police officer should be held to a higher standard… He is responsible for the safety of the police empowered K-9. Betcha there is a white wash of this, while they burn Casey at the Lake Eola stake for essentially something that can not be proven by direct actions / evidence as clearly as this numb nut. Where is the DA on this? Where is PETA on this? Being sick over it does not condone it. He needs to be punished, just like Casey, the standard has been lowered and he obviously exceeded it. It is murder of a police dog. Look at what the statute says and the punishment should be. White wash, here we come… because he forgot, well Casey “forgot.” You are endorsing a double standard for those that should be held to a higher standard… you must be a relative, coworker or neighbor…

44. James Benoit says:

FIRE THIS “HUMAN” from his JOB. Abig part of the JOB is taking care of the DOG.
    Torturing this K-9 through neglect is a CRIME.
    Make him pay the price for his {in}action.

How do your FORGET to care for the dog if you’re a K-9 officer?
    Like the dog is an automatic weapon you leave on the trunk of you squad car – {oops wait, that just happened in Seattle.}

45. Rob says:

This should be a murder charge, no different then the Casey / Caylee Anthony, only the Police officer should be held to a higher standard… He is responsible for the safety of the police empowered K-9. Becha there is a white wash of this, while they burn Casey at the Lake Eola state for essentially something that can not be proven by direct actions / evidence as clearly as this numb nut. Where is the DA on this?

46. Nathan K says:

As an owner of a bloodhound, this just tears my heart out. Bloodhounds are such gentle dogs. I just can not imagine why the officer did this? He needs to account for this in some way. Saying anything like “I forgot” is unacceptable.

47. Hank Warren says:

Double standards for useless animal cruelty cops, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our rights:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama, vote for Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

48. Mark says:

Cop, officer, individual, partner are NOT additives for an animal, people, it’s a DOG and that’s it. Another thing, Cops are not sacred individuals as much as they think they are.

1. Beau says:

I’d prefer the DOG over your sorry a zz anyday. You sir are a loser.

49. ICare4Pets says:

People that abuse animals abuse children. This policeman sounds like a real idiot. How can you forget a large dog in a vehicle. He must be dumb as dirt. I would put him on unpaid leave indefinitely and never let him come near an animal again — police dog or otherwise. He’s a really lousy cop and he’s supposed to be setting an example — please!!!!

50. barf says:

typical texas ignorance. even the cops are uneducated xtian morons. the good part is the terrible heat fires and other catastrophes coming to texas will be the end of the wonder white inbreds there. everything stinks more in texas.

51. Beau says:

I hope this “cop” rots in hell. Show him hot!

52. Jon says:

He needs to be fired from the police force.
    He obviously is too irresponsible.
    He stay if the police force is union because union slobs can’t be fired.

1. solo_poke says:

Only police union are protected by the elites in a quid pro quo.

53. Lassie says:

Fire his sorry ass, then charge him with assulting a police officer, and maybe a few animal cruelty charges. Dumb F***

54. Killer B says:

Bet he was on his cell phone when he parked his car.

55. m says:

I like how the drug dog goes home with the officer because it might be called out at all hours, but the search and rescue dog gets the kennel. Nice priorities, busting people to put in jail is more important than actually saving someone . I guess one earns income and the other doesn’t.

1. concernedcitizen says:

One might want to look to the Mayor/City Manager on why this dog was not allowed to go home with his handler. They are the reason why Liberty was not afforded the same right.

56. Steve says:

For all the people who want to string up the police officer, how many of you are pro-abortion?

57. solo_poke says:

Many criminals “feel bad” after their crime, yet still have to face justice. Sounds like a double standard.

Seems kind of ironic that “Liberty” died locked in the back seat of a police car, as the same thing could be said for millions of Americans who”s liberty also died in the back of a police car, perhaps even America’s :iberty will meet its end in the back of a police car, neglected if people do not wake up.

58. solo_poke says:

Bad cop, no donut.

59. Harold Kint says:

Forgetting, or how much the officer had going on is irrelevant. How badly the officer feels is irrelevant.

Experienced K9 animals are valuable resources and are not trivial to replace. The cruekty angle is not one that can be dismissed.

Where I live, people who simply leave animals in cars are charged with crimes. If the animal dies, the charge is worse.

What’s fair for one is fair for all. This officer should be arrested and charged according to the law without beneficial consideration of his occupation.

60. Chicago citizen says:

“it must still determine whether any laws were broken or city or departmental policies were violated, so investigations along those lines are already underway.”

Let’s see what would happen if an average citizen left their dog to die in a hot car… Would charges be filed against that citizen? Yes? Then the same treatment should be given to that police officer. And seriously, how could their NOT be department guidelines about returning the police dog to the kennel, or making sure your car is empty and checked before you leave it somewhere.

61. Larry says:

1. If the officer was distracted by things more important to him that the police dog in his care, then he should leave the police force and pursue those things full-time.
    2. Jails are full of people who regret doing what they got convicted of.

62. Itsme says:

Hog tie this idiot, lock him in the car, and park it out in the sun until he’s dead. Period.

63. ICare4Pets says:

Lock that stupid s-o-b in a hot car and see how long he lasts. I can’t believe the dog wouldn’t bark or make some noise. That cop needs to be drug tested and fired. If he’s so forgetful that he can’t remember a dog, how can he be counted on to remember anything else about his job? Everyone should contact the police department in Greenville and flood the phone lines and let them know they need to get rid of the cop. The other canine needs to be taken away and that police department should not be allowed to have another one.

64. summer says:

He needs to be fired…no excuse

65. bobbcat says:

I think this officer should resign. This act of negligence is simply over the top. If he is under so much stress that he cannot manage to remember he has a dog in his car (an officer & a partner to boot!), he doesn’t need to be in this line of work. JMO.

66. Steve says:

I know this cop. First thing I’d look at is was he drunk?? That would explain alot, and I wouldn’t doubt it one bit.

1. Mary says:

If that is true, he should be fired and shame on all those that protected him. II should know, I am a recovering alcoholic

67. Mary says:

SInce when is “shuttling kids around” as important as doing your job and protecting your partner. I have a coworker who thinks her kids missing soccer practice is the end of the world. How we have lost are priorities.

68. Steve says:

The problem here is that the police department and union are perpetuating an “Us vs. Them” mentality by not holding Law Enforcement to the same standards as the citizens they are sworn to protect.

That’s BS. They should be held to a higher standard, as they have authority over others and the only way a citizen can challenge that authority is after it has been exercised.

If this dog was a member of his familly, he obviously needs his kids taken, too, as he seems to “forget” about family members.

69. Andrew says:

If it had been a human, the officer would be guilty of manslaughter at a minimum. This officer should resign. He can obviously not be entrusted with the care of animals…let alone to protect and to serve people.

70. 4903 says:

He raised her from a pupply?!! I’m glad Liberty did a better job of “protecing and serving” him, more than he did her! Having broken into a car in a mall parking lot to rescue a dog, I can tell you fiirst hand she did not have a peaceful end.

The panic dogs go through when trapped and panting as thie temerperatures rise is distubing. This officer should face the same fate as anyother citizen, fired from the force and be prohibited from workng with dogs again. This person was supposed to be a “professional”. Too bad Liberty wasn’t important.

71. Fanny Forbes Franklen says:

Just another room temperature IQ degenerate cop that are a plague.

——— http://911essentials.com

72. Manning Channer says:

Wow! I thought the article made me sick, but the responses here make me even more sick! What has happened to the people of this great land? Everyone casting stones and calling for the head of this officer that most likely can’t be hurt any further than he already hurts from his own actions. He may be a jerk of a person like some have stated, he may be a great guy, it doesn’t matter.. the fact is he made a mistake that none of us can fully comprehend or relate to because we are not in his shoes.

While I am a dog owner and love my pets, we are not talking about a child or human being here so lets stop making the comparisons. It is not the same, no matter what a code of ethics or law says, it was a dog. Tragic? Yes. Career changing? Yes. Criminal? Perhaps. Worthy of the overboard backlash of comments here? No.

1. Judy says:

Wow, thank you Manning Channer. Finally someone with common sense! These people are truly scary. They are so vicious and so self righteous. I never realized there were so many perfect people in the world.

73. Ron says:

I’m sick and tired of the double standard. If there is a single case in Greenville where someone was charged and/or convicted of leaving their dog/pet in a hot car in the Texas summer, this cop should immediately be charged with it also.

74. waicool says:

oopsie, too much chit-chat at the donut counter.

75. joe dertyu says:

FORGOT !!!!!!!!!!!!! You are canine cop HOW DO YOU FORGET YOUR DOG

1. mellaril2485 says:

Exactly, I was going to post the same thing. It’s your job, you go to work everyday with the animal. How do you forgot? This idiot is like the guy in San Fran that thought he was reaching for a stun gun instead pulled his firearm.

76. joe dertyu says:

Sure he did not do on purpose ===== thats the point; he is a moron amd or just flat in wrong business Yeh we need this fool walk around protecting the public

77. Edwin says:

Cops cover for Cops. Cops don’t cover for us. If anyone of us would forget a child or one of our pets we would be charged under the law. This officer should also be charged. I feel really sorry for this dog that ended up with this person – but I feel worse if this officer gets another dog or leaves his kid in the vehicle. Charge him…….

78. Pwrplay126 says:

The double standard is just amazing to me. Leaving a dog in a car is a crime. If the dog dies it is a more serious crime. He left the dog in the car and it died. Let’s say I worked for a company that provides companion dogs and my job was to shuttle dogs from one person’s house to another. At the end of my work day I park my car in the company parking lot and leave the dog in the car and it dies. I would and should be fired immediately and I would certainly expect the cops to be called by my former employer to report the loss of their “asset”. The cops would in-turn charge me with some type of crime that would demonstrate that the company was deprived of their property by my neglect. It would not matter that the dog was my favorite or if I was the person that first came up with the companionship program idea for this company. It would be a crime that resulted in death of an animal.

This police officer made a fatal mistake. It was not a split second decision to fire his weapon in self defense or apply the brake on his cruiser during a high speed pursuit. It was to check his car for the soul that was relying on him to open the door. If ANYTHING could rattle him so badly that he forgets the life that is under his care then I think he should resign from his post. If he is not man enough to step down voluntarily than his superior officer should be smart enough to council him of the correct actions a person should take in this situation. If both “men” are unable to come to the proper conclusion then maybe it’s time for both to go since their judgement regarding right and wrong is obviously flawed.

1. Rod Anders says:

What are you saying?

1. Pwrplay126 says:

If you cannot understand then I hope you do not ride around with kids or animals in your car.

79. ro bey says:

THIS LOOKS LIKE A SIGN FOR AMERICA.
    LIBERTY IS DEAD — KILLED BY GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS.

80. rob says:

Book Him, Check the Statute…

By Brandon Hamilton

A 32-year-old Hollywood man was arrested Sunday afternoon for leaving his infant child in his car while he went into a Deltona grocery store.

Shelton Cover was charged with leaving his 4-year-old child unattended as the boy sat in the car for at least 13 minutes with windows rolled up, the car off and doors locked.

Police were called to the parking lot of the Publix Shopping Center at Elkcam Boulevard by a concerned citizen around 2:39 p.m. According to police, when they arrived the boy was sweating and nervous but still alert. Firefighters pried open a door, got him out and paramedics checked him out.

It was 86 degrees with a 90 degree heat index at the time investigators arrived at the scene, according to a news release from the sheriff’s office.

Cover told police that he was unaware that the boy was in the back seat at the time he went into the store. He was arrested and taken to the Volusia County Jail in Daytona Beach.

81. Rod Anders says:

When was the last time you pulled some kid out of a submerged car to keep him from drowning and then you have someone shooting at you? Of course you forget you’ve got a dog locked in a hot car!

1. mellaril2485 says:

So was this office involved in saving someone from a submerged car at the time he was supposed to let the dog out of the car? Or was he being shot at while attempting to let his dog out of the car? If neither was happening, then the cop is an idiot. Which leads me to, if he so distracted that while he getting off from work he can’t remember to let a dog out of a car, then he’ll be to distracted to realize a 3 Musketeers bar that someone is holding is not in fact a gun.

82. Brandie says:

I’m sorry for the loss…BUT..did he park that car somewhere where NO ONE passed by it…I mean…anyone????…this is the 2nd time I’ve read an article [on the net] about a K-9 being left in a car {by their handler} and dying…

1. Rod Anders says:

A cop can’t choose where to park. He has to follow the same parking laws as everyone else.

83. Rod Anders says:

This is NOT the same as accidentally leaving a pocket knife in the cell with a condemned prisoner! Stop trying to make the analogy.

84. Hound-doggie Lover says:

Just put him in a room full of hound-dog lovers for an hour!!

85. Otis says:

I hope he does not forget that his kids are in the car!!! how could anyone forget that a kid or animal were in thier car.

86. RussP says:

Melissa,

I’m definitely not a law officer and only when it comes to breaking a law are police held to a higher standard. In Texas, pets are unfortunately considered property and treated about the same as a toaster. Not sure how the fact it was a police dog will affect this.

And Ken,

I’m not sure what Obama has to do with this but I’m definitely not a supporter of his but unfortunately I think he will win another term. You are right on one thing, Krusty the Klown would do better than any if the candidates the republicans have fielded so far. We blew a great opputunity when we had McCain as a candidate but put that twit Palin as his running mate.

87. nicholas says:

incompetence at this level is inexcusable. this person was hired to serve and protect. he should not be responsible for anyone’s welfare. neglect must be punished or else it will occur more frequently.

88. Countrygirl1362 says:

This K-9 officer died a horrible death. Her organs litterally cooked inside her body. She was betrayed by the one she trusted the most. Forget? How do you forget your partner? This human officer needs to be charge for the crime he commited by his neglect.

89. klg1956 says:

This happened in California about two or three years ago. Somebody needs to make a collar that goes off when the Policeman leaves the car when the dog is in the car…some type of beeping collar that goes off when distance is put between the officer and the dog….that alerts the officer the dog is still in the car…come on, how many more dogs have to die…..even children are being left in their cars and dying in heat because parents say they “forgot” the child was in the back of the car. Maybe a thermal type of device…This is a chance for some entrepreneur to make some money….come on thinkers you can do it!

1. RussP says:

This is a very good idea and something already exists for scuba divers; get too far from your buddy and it goes off.

90. Gunrnr says:

In NM, it is legal for a citizen who sees an animal left in a hot car to break the window in order to save it. I would do so in a minute. Also in my state, we have charged those who “forget” and leave their animal to cook in a car with felony animal abuse. Felony. As in, “hang up your gun and turn in your badge, you need to find another line of work, you thoughtless human being.”

1. RussP says:

Not the case in Texas unfortunately and the patch work of local animal cruelty laws is a mess. I had a dog left in my neighbors garage with no food or water while they went away for a week and the best local animal control could do was address it with them when they returned. There was no provision to get in a rescue the animal. I forced the garage door up enough to get him food and water and let some air circulate since the waste was building up.

91. John Doe says:

fail

92. Scott Layman says:

“His police association released a statement of support, saying the “police family” is hurying.”

Do any of you idiots at this website have any editors?!?!?!?…jesus friggin’ christ!!!

93. Mike says:

I know cops who speed all the time, drive drunk, many do drugs, and when they get pulled over – the get away free as a bird. This cop should be charged with Negligent Homicide – because anyone of US, would be charged with murder. Time will tell if this PD is as corrupt as the rest are.

94. Bunny Lebowski says:

He doesn’t deserve a dog .
    He too busy or too stupid.n Either way, give him a desk job.

95. Speak Todragons says:

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT relating to the efficient use of police service animals.

96. Uncle Ed says:

If he is not able to remember his partner adn leave her in a hot car to suffer and die, then he is not capable of carrying a gun and enforcing the law. I understand he is sad and maybe broken hearted, but he should be FIRED from the police force, before he forgets and shoots the wrong person.

97. Just Say No To Leaving Dogs in Hot Cars says:

Sad, very sad. A horrific way to die.

98. David says:

Saying that the officer is grieving is kind of like the Menendez Brothers trying to get sympathy for being orphans!

99. Bruno says:

20% of police officers do 80% of the policing. The others are stupid, lazy, and in it just for the paycheck and benefits and are just going through the motions. If you have a canine partner and aren’t focused on it you fall into the latter category.

100. HoseA says:

I don’t get dogs being called cops….

101. SteveeB says:

If you were driving your car and accidently hit that dog because it was chasing some suspect, regardless of how much of an accident it was, you would be charged with vehicular assault on an officer and attempted manslaughter; let alone obstruction, and manslaughter 2 (if the dog died of injuries).

Point being, if you as a civillian hurt that animal, regardless of what type of honest mistake it was, you would be tried for assaulting an officer. I’m sorry, but mistake or not, that cop should be charged with negligent hommicide.

102. otis jackson says:

Been on this planet a long time and still have not met, heard about, or read about a Gore with any common sense. OMG I hope that wasn’t profiling.

103. Julie says:

I sure hope the officer wasn’t yacking on his cell phone, or Texting? or Tweeting? How in the hell do you “forget” your partner in the back of the car??!!

104. Paul says:

When any other person leaves a dog in a car, accident or not, they are charged. I assume this officer will be as well..? If not there is some serious corruption going on here.

105. imatellau says:

It wsa the animals fault for sleeping. An officer of the law never makes mistakes, so the death of a fellow officer was her own doing. No consequences for the human officer, he is after all ABOVE THE LAW!!! How can he be held accountable for a sleeping dog. While the subjects of the state of Texas should be punished to the HIGHEST EXTENT OF THE LAW. Officers are exempt, cause you now, he had an emeregency, he forgot, the dog was sleeping, he’s really sorry. !!! SARCASM!!!
    Charges should be pending, if not the people of Greenville need to flush everyone in authority to the unemployment line!!!!!!!!!

106. Rita says:

This officer needs to be fired!!! That dog should have a home to go to to socialize with a family and have the pet advantage. I just get livid when I hear these kinds of stories, It is so heartless. Unbelievable and so Disgusting!!!

107. Rex says:

Could we please stop referring to police dogs as “cops,” “officers,” or (worse yet), “one of our own.” They are DOGS, trained dogs.

1. Paul says:

It’s not just ‘referring’ to- it’s a legal definition now. If you harm a police dog they charge you with “assaulting an officer.” Why there is a special class of assault for officers is weird to begin with- it should just be assault the same, they seem to imply assaulting a citizen is not as bad nor punishable as assaulting an officer.

108. Dr.Robotnik says:

The Dog knew too much…

109. Mothman says:

“The bottom line is that there are real world consequences to this man’s ineptitude.”

Yes, but their “consequences” are much easier to face.

Cops NEVER get the jail time that they say others should get.

Shouldn’t people who swear an oath to “protect and serve” face MORE severe consequences for violating the law than the rest of us?

Look at this story:

Sex with a 15-year old? No big deal if you’re a cop – and a minority! 6 lousy months – any real citizen would get a much harsher sentence.

110. keith says:

he ‘forgot’?? Sorry he needs to be punished harshly. If you leave your child or your own dog in the car, they will charge you if not arrest you and punish you harshly…I hope he isn’t excluded cause he is a cop

111. Sam Bartlett says:

the man was crushed imagine if You left your dog in that car. let me guess, you would be crushed. not only would it be dead but you killed it.

112. Sam Bartlett says:

What would any of you feel like if left your dog in your car. (if you have a dog) Let me guess, you would be crushed not only would it be dead but you would have killed your dog’

113. JT says:

Cops are among the dumbest f&*ks on the planet. Not surprised something like this happened.

114. zed says:

Civilian= Animal Cruelty. Sworn officer= oversight. So much for the law of the land.

115. Sam Cooke says:

“In case there should be found in your midst…a man or woman who should practice what is bad in the eyes of Jehovah…you must stone such ones with stones, and such one must diel” Deuteronomy 17:2

From the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, the inspired word of Jehovah God.

116. deedee says:

OMG!!!!! This is just TERRIBLE!!!! How can you forget your dog in the car??? Makes no sense, this was his PARTNER!!

117. LexTerrae says:

The officer should be charged under the cruelty to animals statutes whether the act was one of carelessness or of neglect. There cannot – MUST NOT – be different standards for officers than for citizens. That is a very dangerous precedent.

And, after facing the cruel and inhumane treatment charge, the officer should be suspended without pay for 90 days and sentenced to 6 months community service at the city animal shelter. AND, he should never be allowed to handle animals again.

The reporting is poor, but I’m trying my best to understand why a bloodhound would be in a police car in Texas in July except when needed for tracking. It makes no sense at all because a bloodhound is useless for crowd control or physical apprehension of a suspect. They just do not have the temperament for any such use.

This report tells me that the Greenville PD is staffed with incompetents. There is no room for such in law enforcement. I think maybe the State of Texas should investigate this incident.

118. Bob says:

The “handler” should be charged with felony animal abuse. What an a**hole.

119. Dana says:

ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR THIS!!!!! This guy needs to be punished the same as anyone else that took an officers life. You NEVER forget your dog or child in a hot car!! People don’t “FORGET” about a child or dog in a car, They are knowingly left in the car. They know when they are leaving the car that the animal or child is in there. Just makes me sick, poor dog had to of suffered terribly.

120. comprof says:

Cop should be prosecuted as would any other citizen. Otherwise, there is no equality of justice.

121. comprof says:

I am tired of these double standards for elected officials and police. He should be convicted and sentenced as any normal citizen. Good comment!

122. LarryG says:

Another stupid f*cking cop! When I was a young Infantry Officer(Viet Nam) I was taught to put myself last. I didn’t eat until every trooper got fed, I didn’t leave my post until everyone was seen to. I was up first and last to bed. I took care of my people and they took care of me. I’ll bet this dog took care of this imbecile but he didn’t have the character to see to her needs. F*CK HIM!!!

123. LarryG says:

Cops are a$$hole NAZIs.

124. dominick says:

My question is that is your partner How do you forget your parner in a car..It’s just like how do you forget your kids in a car..Its beyond any plausible answer cause to me there is no kind of answer that has any kind of merit that you can give me for leaving your partner or your kids in a car..and all people who do this should be held accountable for their actions regardless who they are or what office they hold. Bottom Line..

125. Kip Noxzema says:

How about changing the title to show it was a dog that died, not a police officer.

Yes, dog-lovers, a distinction needs to be made.

126. Col. John Matrix says:

I think some commenting here, don’t really care about the loss of the dog and the horrible way it died, as much as they want to take a swipe at law enforcement in general. My 5 dogs are my children, and I have lived around dogs all my 47 years. I know that Liberty, if she was anything like any of my dogs, from the mutts I have rescued from the pound before they were to be put to sleep to my pure breed German Shepherds, would gladly have given her life for her handler/partner/master/alpha! There should be consequences for the officer’s neglect, and I truly believe it was neglect, due to some sort of emergency. Regardless of the emergency, he should be treated like anyone else who left their dog in a car to die, just at there is no good excuse that will get you out of a speeding ticket (and this is far, far more serious than a speed limit infraction), there is no good reason he should have forgot his dog/partner in the car. I would like to claim I wouldn’t forget, but if were called and my wife was in a serious car accident or if I had children and one had been hurt or seriously endangered in some way, I can’t say with 100% certainity I would forget in the heat of the moment. I can say with 100% certainity, I wouldn’t want to forget, and I would risk my life to protect my dogs, without thinking twice, but who can truly say what they would do when faced with an “emergency” of some sort, that catches them totally off guard. If they had had the “HOT DOG” system on his vehicle, or the Ace Hot-N-Pop Pro system installed with auto activation when the dog enters the vehicle, Liberty would be alive, cause when the temperature rises above a programmed level a siren goes off, the light bar comes on and the windows automatically lower, as well as it sends a text message to the officer and the police station that the dog is in the car unattended and it is in trouble. These system should be manditory for allow law enforcement and military animal handlers who use and transport animals, even in the handler’s personal vehicle, if the animal is transported via the personal car. In case you are wondering, these system run about $1,000 give or take a $100… a small price to pay to ensure the safety of the canine officer!

If you folks want to really make a difference, write your state and federal congress people and demand these system be manditory ANY Local, State or Federal agencies using animals or transporting them. Then and only then will future such instances be avoided. Again this officer should face the same consequences any civilian would face for such a horrible accident/neglect. I am fairly sure the officer would have never intentionally done this. But let’s try to make Liberty’s death the last such death, by working to get state and federal laws to have the proper safety equipment on K-9 vehicles.

And let’s understand one thing, Liberty would have forgiven her handler long before many here will… how do I know, because that is in most dogs’ nature to forgive those who injure them, especially the ones they love. I would bet you anything, unless this officer was terribly mean to Liberty, she loved him with all her heart, and it would grieve her to know what some folks have posted here. It is stupid and moronic to lump all K-9 officers together, as much as it is to make a racial stereo-typical comment. I don’t know who to be more sorry for, Liberty, her handler or some of the hateful people who have posted here. One evil doesn’t justify another form of evil, and while the officers may have been a horrible accident, these truly hateful comments are not, and speak volumes about the authors!!!

127. Unbelievable says:

I’ve seen a lot of rants to hang em high, yet very few that even really cared for Liberty. If you really cared then you would propose ideals that would prevent this from happening to any other animal as being just as important as to what you think should happen to the handler. Collar beeper was a good ideal along with honking the horn and having the sirens go off so no one could say they didn’t notice it. Again Liberty would hold no grudge against her handler for what happened, yet we must not just slap him on the wrist and say it’s enough along with his grief. No one is above the law and for there to be justice we must all face the same consequences of our actions.
    Plenty of what would happen to me if the same thing happened to you. I have known both good and bad officers and people. But to compare an officers life to your life is a little far fetched since you have no concept of what their jobs are like. They should not get away with anything the rest of us can’t, yet just as some of us get away with things so will some of them. Who would I rather have for a friend, this man or a bunch of pious people who only think of themselves? If you can do much better what is stopping you from joining the force since we need such fine people as you doing the job? Even the military doesn’t have to go to work every day wondering if they will make it home alive except for in times of war, yet some do die in peace time training. Is your job that hazardous every day for the same amount of pay? How many of your friends are on the police force so you can be a good influence on them? How many of you are faced with having to turn in your friends if they do wrong, obligated to through your job or done it anyway? Sure wouldn’t be a lot of problems for the police force to handle if there was no rift raft left to bust.
    So fine him for the cost of training another dog, if details warrant it was gross negligence prevent him from working with or having animals and get the police union/society all over the country to have measures in place so no other Liberty’s are lost this way. Stop kicking people when they are down, this is no better than police brutality is and face it we don’t even have all the facts. I have a hard time opening pill bottles thanks to you people who never make mistakes and are on top of everything. As for a terrible way to die, that people is dying all alone in this world with no friends or family by your side. Physical pain can be taken away via the way the body operates in death, mental pain cannot.

128. Thomas A. Hempstead says:

You can’t fix stupid……

129. Steve says:

Now they should install motion detector alarms that page the dispatch of anything moving inside of the backseat of a K-9 car to insure that this never happens again. Also hook it to the lights and siren system for added attention.

130. naro10101 says:

The officer in charge of the dog MUST BE PROSECUTED for animal abuse and negligence. There is one law for all.

1. Mark Matis says:

No there isn’t, and you should know that by now. There is one law for Mere Citizens, another law for Preferred Species, and a third for “Law Enforcement” and their Masters.

131. Big John says:

Dogacide How could any human kill such a lovely dog? Whoever did it hang em!

132. Pat says:

any other person would be charged with animal cruelty or homicide if it were a child. maybe for the future someone could develop a dummy alarm….like they do for seatbelts/car checks/etc

it really is easy to do….as a mom I have forgotten many things, but never forgot my family.

133. David Holewinski says:

Dereliction of Duty comes to mind in this case. If part of the responsibility of the officer is to make sure the dog is in his kennel after the shift then, it is a clear case that this officer failed to complete his task. There are no good reasons that I can think if that would excuse the officer from this deadly action. As an example to the community, the officer needs to be brought up on charges.

134. naro10 says:

We LOVE COPS IN GENERAL. Without cops there would be no white person left in Dallas-we would all pack up and leave. Police make life possible in this Afro infested country. THANK GODS FOR COPS

135. Josh says:

I find it ironic that a cop kills a dog named Liberty.

136. tired of corrupt law says:

How come cops can kill dogs and nothing ever happens?

137. pauly says:

It’s time to drug test police

138. ED SKI says:

1. CHARGE HIM WITH FELONY ANIMAL CRUELTY- IMMEDIATELY.

2. MAKE HIM PAY FOR THE DOG- HE DESTROYED THE CITY’S PROPERTY- THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WORTH.

139. A PERSON says:

Wow. One 4 legged animal is mistakingly left in a car and dies. Each above comment feels for the animal and wants to prosecute the offender Four thousand dead babies are left at the abotion clinic everyday and no one cares. The government also think s it’s a great idea and supports it by paying for it. Too bad we can’t be classified as a dog. We would have more rights…………….

140. Anon in Sherman says:

so is this fool of a police officer going to be tried for murder like a kid inthe back of a car that a parent leaves or any animal that a normal person would leave in a car to die, they would be charged and convicted… Just because he’s a cop doesn’t give him the right to get off with nothing…. Plus the fact he killed a COP!

Comments are closed.