FORT WORTH (AP) – Domino’s is being sued by the widow of a North Texas employee who died a year after being robbed and beaten with a baseball bat by teens who lured the deliveryman to a vacant house.
According to Fort Worth police, three teenagers called in a bogus order to Domino’s Pizza, giving the address of a vacant home on Bessie Street. The address was previously the home of one of the attackers. The teens then beat Fred Rein with an aluminum baseball bat before stealing pizzas and $20.
The lawsuit alleges the company failed to follow safety procedures. Attorney Geno Borchardt says the teens used a prepaid cellphone to place the phony order, and Domino’s had never delivered pizza to the address before.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram says the lawsuit filed Monday seeks “all damages” available under state law to Fred’s widow, Jackie — plus exemplary and punitive damages.
The beating left Fred with brain damage and fractures to his face. He remained hospitalized for months after the October 2009 attack. Jackie is certain that his death was caused by the injuries that he sustained.
A Domino’s spokesman says the company doesn’t comment on lawsuits but is saddened by the loss.
The three teens were charged as juveniles, pleaded guilty to aggravated robbery and were sentenced.
(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)