DART Adding Cameras At Light Rail Stations

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – New technology might soon have riders on the DART rail feeling safer, or maybe a bit creeped out.

DART is going ahead with plans to install cameras in all 55 of its light rail stations.

The surveillance cameras will keep an unblinking eye on riders every move, giving DART security a good look at rail platforms and ticket machines.

But the cameras won’t record activity in parking lots. DART says it will continue to depend on its police force to patrol those.

Officials with DART say the cameras will be monitored in real-time, on a rotating basis.

Even if a specific camera isn’t monitored at a given time, there will be recordings to allow police to review activity.

A pilot program already has cameras in about a half-dozen DART rail stations.

The transit agency will spend some $6 million to add cameras system wide by the end of the year.

Comments

1. Rick McDaniel says:

Cameras won’t make anyone safer. They will just provide some ability to prosecute, after the person has been attacked or murdered. Big help.

1. Sheila Crain says:

Patrol what? Those fat-ass DART cops couldn’t catch a three legged dog unless it was trapped in a QT Market. Cameras do not catch criminals or check fares, real life , dedicated police officers do those things like in New York City. Save your money DART and hire some “real” ploice.

2. potatochobit says:

We wont protect your cars from being burglarized, which is one of the biggest crime problems in dallas on a daily basis, but we will protect our ticket machines and make sure you use the trash cans

3. Mr. C. says:

Some of those Rail Stations are like third world countries.
    Mockingbird station and Cityplace are the worse.
    There were 5 Dart guards and Dart police there last Memorial Day at the Mockingbird Station.
    Got approached by one for money before I even got my ticket.
    I have been asked repeatedly for fare money.
    Offered to give them my ticket after I was through-NO they want MONEY!!
    So MANY ride WO tickets-never see any ticket checkers on trains.
    I ALWAYS ride ARMED-legal CHL.
    One of the main reasons I got my CHL.

4. Cole Younger says:

We need a lot more red light cameras also here in Dallas

5. Cole Younger says:

The other solution is get your Concealed weapon permit .like me and my wife has

6. Hemroidious says:

Six million dollars. How much is John Wylie Price’s commission?

Comments are closed.