Plano Girl’s Fight For Life Gives Her Family The Meaning of Life

update (8/17 – 3:30p.m.) – has learned Micaela died Wednesday morning after her battle with Leukemia.  Funeral services for the 18-year-old are pending.

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Micaela White is the girl who has it all; a graduate of Ursuline Academy with plans to attend The University of Oklahoma. Micaela White is also the girl who’s been through it all. “She’s amazing,” said Micaela’s mother, Sharon White. “The strength in her, the determination in her, the will in her.”

Micaela beat thyroid cancer two years ago. But this past December, the 18-year-old from Plano was stricken with leukemia. Doctors at Children’s Medical Center treated the disease with heavy doses of chemotherapy. Despite the setback, mom and dad never gave up hope. “I knew we were going to all come through this,” Micaela’s mother recalled.

When things couldn’t get any worse, they did. While Micaela was being treated at Children’s, a fire severely damaged the family’s home in Plano. Meanwhile, the chemo treatments had taken the teen to near death, until a bone marrow transplant brought her back to life in June.

Days later, however, the girl with dreams of being a Sooner returned to intensive care, and that’s where she remains today. “She’s afraid right now. She hates ICU with a passion,” said her mother.

Following her bone marrow transplant, her body started pumping out A-negative blood to replace her old blood. As a result, Micaela’s body now needs A-negative platelets and they’re in rare supply. The teen faces other serious issues as well, including complications with her liver and kidneys.

Mom and dad say their daughter’s battle has brought them closer together. Mom spends day and night at the hospital, while dad takes care of their 16-year-old son, who has Down Syndrome. “We’ve been apart going on eight months. When we see each other, it’s always in a hospital atmosphere,” said Danny White, Micaela’s father. “If we go out for lunch, which isn’t very often, it’s a real blessing.”

Micaela’s mother says she now knows the true meaning of life. “Just how special life really is.”

A Facebook group called “Micaela’s Army” has been set up for anyone who wants to donate A-negative platelets. Carter BloodCare has set up an account for Micaela with the donation number 050332. For information on how you can donate you can call Carter BloodCare at (800) DONATE-4 or (800) 366-2834. You can also email the family at

1. alexandra johnson says:

my name is alexandra johnson i am 20 years old i live in mineral wells tx, i have just heard of Micaela White’s story and i have A- blood i would love to give her please contact me with what i need to do

1. Carly says:

You can call the Special Donations Department of Carter Blood Center at (817) 412-5308 and tell them what you want to donate A- blood platelets and then they will need to make you an appointment at one of their locations – not all locations do platelets. You will need to give them Micaela D. White’s Carter blood donation number 050332 and that she is being treated at Children’s Medical in Dallas Medical record #3192155. Thank you!

2. Brian says:

I would be honored to donate for Micaela. I can’t seem to locate her Facebook page.

1. Barb says:

It’s called Micaela’s Army… it’s a Group Page

3. E Baker says:

5 times trying this ! have carter #

1. Barb says:

4. Don Erwin says:

I am 75 but have A- blood and would be more than willing to give my platelets if they can be used. I do take a lot of meds so don’t know. Secondly I would like to send Micaela and her family bracelets that read “God is Big Enough”. We have given these away in my church since the first of the year. We have given more than 100,000. There is a story behind them which I would share when I send them. Just need to know where to send them.

5. Lillian Garcia says:

I am a 72 year old lady with type a RH Neg. I called the charter bank lab and left a message to inquire if I could be elegible to donate my blood for Micaela. I never received a return call. I may not qualify due to my age, but I wanted to try. In the meantime my prayers are with Micaela and her family. May God be at your side.

6. Jennifer Johnson says:

I would be honored to donate. I have A negative blood type. My brother and nephew were killed in a car accident, I was unable to help him, but through donor alliance my brother saved three lives and one person’s eyesight. I called the number on the news website and left message and requested on facebook. My facebook is under Jennifer Johnson

7. Jennifer Johnson says:

Is there another way to contact someone i see nobody is getting return calls?

8. tracey shutter says:

hi my name is tracey shutter. i believe we have the same blood type. im willing to give blood and platelets.

9. Scott says:

Just made appointment online to donate platelets. Go to and choose a location, then fill in the required information and pick your appointment time.

10. upchkn says:

Wish I had A-. Thanks to all who wish to help, and don’t give up because of Carter Bloodcare’s inablility to return phone calls. They are too busy calling everyone to come donate.

11. Scott Jordan says:

im a regular at carter for double reds. while i am the wrong type if my next doan will reduce her cost let me know.

1. Barb says:

Yes, it will. Thank You! Give them Micaela D. White donation #050332 and that she’s being treated at Children’s Medical in Dallas Medical record #3192155

12. Barb says:

To donate: Call the Special Donations Department of Carter Blood Center at 817-412-5308. Give them Micaela D. White donation #050332 and that she’s being treated at Children’s Medical in Dallas Medical record #3192155

Comments are closed.