Constables Out On ‘Back To School Warrant Roundup’

TARRANT COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – Dozens of deadbeat dads got the message today: pay child support or go to jail. CBS 11 News joined Tarrant County Constables as they knocked on doors for the “Back to School Warrant Roundup.”

It was dad, after delinquent dad, rounded up and taken to jail. But some offenders wouldn’t give up without a fight.

“Running through the backyard,” one Constable yelled as he caught one offender, who was particularly unhappy with the approach. “Let me see your hands. Get on the ground.”

Wanted dad Robert Lee seemed more than a bit surprised. “I’m sorry officer, he said. “Ya’ll think I ran. I did not run.”

Lee says he’s been paying child support since he faced the judge last year. “I’m paying support. I’m paying what I can,” he maintained. “I love my children… but if you’re not working.”

All of the fathers are accused of not paying child support and Friday they were held accountable.

“It’s all for delinquent child support or who failed to show up to attend court,” Constable Clint Burgess said of the warrants issued. “These are repeat offenders.”

CBS 11 cameras followed along as officials made several arrests. “Constables, you need to open the door,” was said as officials waited at one house.

The effort was all part of the Attorney General’s Office back to school warrant round up.

Back to captured father Robert Lee. The Attorney General’s Office told CBS 11 News he has made partial payments in one case, but failed to show up for a compliance hearing.

In a second case Lee reportedly made no payments in the past year. Again Lee had explanations. “It’s really hard. It’s hard, especially when you’re raising a child, going to school and they don’t care.”

Lee said he had no idea he was wanted. “I really did not know. I’ve been going to school since October; had perfect attendance,” he said. “I’ve been here this whole time. They could send notes [or] e-mail me. This is totally unnecessary.”

Officials say the Back to School Warrant Roundup was timed to prompt other parents to pay their court-ordered child support before school starts.

“No matter what the circumstances are, every child needs to be taken care of,” said Burgess. “Today these children’s voices have been heard.”

The joint initiative by the Attorney General’s Office and all eight Tarrant County Constables led to 22 arrests.

Comments

1. Mark says:

Why is this so hard? I have maintained my child support for two kids for five years, even when I was unemployed, and I have never earned more that fifteen dollars an hour.

1. Cheryl Cheney Fox says:

Mark, you obviously are a great dad! No matter if the dad has a job or not, the children have to be fed ,etc. I was a single mom and though I refused child support there were times a little extra money would have helped me feed my child. Thank you.. There needs to be more dads like you!

2. Sharon says:

Because some men are worthless. I’ve been divorced since 2005 and haven’t seen more than a few months worth of payments from my ex ever. If I call him and harrass him, his parents will send money for school supplies, but that’s it. And I don’t bother turning him in because he never works. He’d just sit in jail, upset my son, and never come forward with any money. Waste of time.

3. Lynda says:

Some people are just sorry and that is dead beat moms as well as dads. My ex is over $29,000 in arrears but since I’m not on welfare the Attorney General’s office doesn’t give a darn. And he lives out of state. That is two strikes against me. I have worked 2 and 3 jobs to care for my children and my ex is hanging out like he doesn’t have a care in the world. I would have loved to see his behind running from the police in a round up. It would have made my day:-).

1. Jamie says:

We were trying to figure out the same thing, we have a dead beat mom on our hands. We not have a dead beat parent round up???!!!

1. jamie says:

We = Why:-)

4. Kimbree says:

Other stations reported two women also arrested. I also heard from my friend at work say Mr Robert Lee (perfect angel in this story) has missed every court hearing and meeting the reason the warrant was issued and arrested.

1. Scott says:

If they rounded up women as well, why did they call it “Dead Beat Dads”? Makes me so angry!

5. Catherine says:

i like how the news talks about dead beat dads yet there is ni statements about dead beat moms. NO mention yet there are plenty oyt there…i call favoritism by the news…yes great job for getting dead beat Parents

6. Jo Dean says:

Seems fair to me dude, a man needs to support his kids, period.

7. NiteNurse says:

I can understand that in some situations there are some parents who want to support their kids but either can’t or feel the parent who has custody isn’t putting the child support money to it’s intended use. BUT for most of the time the non custody parent feels that since they don’t have to do the daily heavy lifting of caring for the kid they are no longer feel the kid is their kid. So many of them will work under the table for cash and the taxpayers end up having to pay to support their children.

8. amanda says:

I’m going through this single parent thing alone. My ex was ordered to start paying in April, and has only paid $500, and he’s supposed to pay $718 a month. I can’t seem to get any help and forcing him to pay. As soon as they send out a notice to his employer to take the payments from his check he quits. I’ve gone to legal aid, and they won’t help. I’m struggling like crazy, but I have to some how come up with money to hire a lawyer to take him to court.

Comments are closed.