DFW Area Lakes: There Really Is Something For Everyone
As we quickly find ourselves in the throes of the summer heat here in Texas, many of us would love to get away to the lake.
But which lake? Where is the best fishing? Where can my kids swim? Where is the best place to take the boat out?
There are so many lakes here in the DFW area, and surrounding counties, and I want to help you make sense of it all.
Here is a guide to my five favorite lakes. I break it down by location and what each destination is best known for as well as share resourceful sites to help you navigate each facility. To give you the best fishing information possible, I interviewed a local tournament fisherman. Fishing comments and suggestions in this article are based on his personal experiences so far this summer.
Contact: For information about Lake Whitney you can call the marina at (254) 694-3129. They are open seven days a week from 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
This is quite possibly the best bass fishing lake in the greater DFW area, and surrounding counties, at this time. The water levels are about 12-14 feet low and the lake water is very stumpy. Fish use the tree life as their home, which makes for prime fishing conditions. Right now this is an excellent spot for the bass fisherman seeking largemouth and smallmouth bass. The sand bass stock is decent as well.
Other great features about this lake:
- Excellent primitive camping
- RV’s allowed
- Bow hunting (during season) and assorted bird hunting
- Bike trails
- Hiking trails
- Boating (on south end of lake/or on river)
- Jet skip and other recreational water sports (on south end of lake/or on river)
- Water skiing and tubing
- Great picnic or cookout amenities
White Rock Lake
Park and Recreation Phone: 214-670-8740
Water Sport Rentals: White Rock Paddle Co.
Located in Dallas, this lake is excellent for families (and family outings), site seeing and recreational activities.
Amenities and attractions include:
- Fishing piers
- Bird watching and wildlife
- Bike trails
- Running trails
- Picnic, pavilions and kiddy parks
- Primitive camping sites
- Dallas Arboretum is right off the lake shores
- Onsite museum
- DART railing system has a White Rock Lake drop off (go green!)
Camping Reservations: 817-329-8993
Boat and Water Sport Rentals: Just for Fun
This is another great fishing lake with lots of other family attractions and activities. Grapevine Lake has excellent bass fishing this summer as well as a decent catfish stock. This lake is centrally located in the DFW area.
Other attractions include:
- Cabin rentals
- Golf course
- Water skiing
- Wind surfing
- Wilderness trails
- Picnic areas
- Camping ground
- Sand volleyball
- Water sports
- Onsite restaurants and bars
- 13+ miles of hiking and bike trails
- Shops and wineries nearby in downtown Grapevine
- Local hotels for those not interested in camping: Gaylord Texan Resort and Great Wolf Lodge
Park and Leisure Services: 972-219-3550
Boat and Water Sport Rental: Flying and Floating Toys
This lake is an all-around hot spot that has a reputation for fun and parties. Great location when traveling from Dallas or Fort Worth. Looking for hot for bass fishing? There several bass tournaments being held on this lake this year.
- 3 large parks
- Camp grounds with water and electrical hookups for RV’s and travel trailers
- Multiple primitive campgrounds
- Popular boating spot
- Swimming beach
- Excellent spot for recreational water sports
- Picnic tables and grills in campground areas
- Fire rings
- Restrooms with showers
- Golf Course and Disc-Golf Course
- multiple athletic facilities
- Pavilions and shade structures
- Ramps and docks
- Award-wining marina
Possum Kingdom Lake
Phone: (940) 779-2424 (Chamber of Commerce Monday-Friday)
Possum Kingdom Lake is in a gorgeous canyon filled setting. This is over an hour from the metroplex, but worth it when you are looking for a fun lake spot with lots of activities and just wanting to get away from the city. Keep in mind that this past spring this area was affected by major wildfires. Any support you can show by visiting their lake, is appreciated.
Amazing features include:
- Cabins and lodges (PK Hideaway , Golden Cove)
- Bed and Breakfast rentals
- Primitive camping
- Motor Home and RV camping (Bonita Shore or Willow Bend)
- Hunting (in season- bow only)
- Golf Course
- Lots of nature watching
- Hiking Trails
- Store and Marina
Other Fishing and Lake/Camping Resources:
- Need a fishing guide? Reserve Fishing is a site you will want to check out. Enter the state you live in and the lake you wish to visit, and it will generate a list of guides available to accompany your next fishing trip.
- Wonder where people are catching fish these days? Check out Texas Fishing Forums. Every night fisherman hop on this site and share what fish they caught, the sizes, the time of day, the lake, etc. Let’s talk fish, baby!
- Want to rent an RV? If you’re in the Dallas area you can visit El Monte RV. Near Tarrant or Johnson County you can check out RV Rentals USA .
Crystal VanTassel is the author of Crystal & Co., a mommy resource site. She finds mommy related solutions for herself and others, as she navigates through the journey of mommyhood while raising five wild boys. You can contact Crystal directly at email@example.com.