Police Investigate Fort Worth Boy’s Shooting Death

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Police in Fort Worth are investigating the shooting death of an 11-year-old boy. The victim was discovered on Tuesday afternoon in the hallway of a home located in the 3700 block of Garden Springs Drive. But there are still very few details about his death.

When authorities arrived on the scene, just before 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, they spoke with the victim’s aunt and sister. The child was rushed to Cook Children’s Medical Center, but was pronounced dead on Wednesday morning.

According to a statement released by the Fort Worth Police Department, the young child appeared to have died from “a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head.” Detectives have not released information about how this injury may have happened – if it was suicide or an accidental shooting.

The official cause of death has not been released. An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday.

The deceased child was a sixth grade student at Mary Harris Intermediate School, part of the Crowley Independent School District. A letter discussing the tragedy was sent home with students, said district spokesman Anthony Kirchner. A crisis response team is also on-hand at the campus to assist students.

Kirchner said that he was not aware of any bullying against the child.

Comments

1. NiteNurse says:

I know all you gun lovers are frequently careless about leaving your guns where your kids can find them. I don’t want to hear about how you teach your kids about gun safety because guns are a HUGE temptation for both boys and girls. My dad hid his gun from me when I was a child and warned me never to touch the gun but I always knew where he hid it and always touched it and played with it. If you have a kid even a teenager NEVER have a gun in the house because you might have something tragic like this happen to you.

1. vdub says:

oh OK..since you said to, i guess i’ll get rid of my guns..

1. NiteNurse says:

I had a fellow high school friend who a few years ago lost his teenage daughter because while he was at work she knew where his gun was kept, got angry at her boyfriend who was visiting at the home over something stupid, got the gun and during the fight for the gun she ended up dead. As a teen a classmate of mine was given a handgun by his dad, while the parents were gone he showed the gun to his friends, and one of his friends took it thinking it was not loaded accidently shot of the friends. I could go on and on. Having a gun in the house and children are a recipe for disaster.

2. vdub says:

You could go on and on? Sounds like you’ve had a ton of tragedy happen around you most your life…
    I think common sense for parents would be to keep the gun/s locked up. Saying you should “NEVER have a gun in the house if you have a kid or teen” is just stupid. You know what else is stupid? Keeping a gun in your house that is accessible to those kids. It’s very simple to keep a gun in a safe or some type of lock box.. Especially the lock boxes that require a pin code to access. I see your point but my guess is that you do not have kids..? Because i have 2..and I never owned a gun prior to me having kids. I do now though. Once you have kids you feel the need to protect them in any situation. I’m sorry, but if someone were to break in to my house in the middle of the night, you bet your a$$ i’m going to want more than a broom stick to protect them with. And i’m not sure what “gun lovers” you hang around with that leave their guns laying around..but all the gun owners i know, that have kids, have theirs locked up. Maybe the “gun lovers” i know just have a higher IQ than the ones you know….Who knows?

1. Fwlady says:

Such ugliness in a time of sadness. My brother, too, was killed by a gun.

3. EJM (a co-worker) says:

Now that politics is out of the way. His mom is an awesome woman and is dealing with her world having just been eternally crushed and you want to sound off about something you obviously have no clue about. I could make assumptions about you solely based on your timing and conduct pertaining to a tragedy such as this, but I’d rather not have his memory smeared because of the “controversy” you decided to conjure up, nor subject her to the negativity that is your utterly disgusting lack of common courtesy.

Comments are closed.