More Employees Claim They’ve Been Bullied At Work

NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Bullies are not just found on the schoolyard. A new survey shows 70-percent of adults say they’ve been bullied in the workplace.

Lee Love, a Dallas-based author, can relate to the statistic. She said she worked for an abusive boss for years and also saw her co-workers bullied.

Lee Love used events from her life to write a novel called “Twitch, Twitch”. The main character is Letitia, a Jamaican woman who experiences fear and intimidation at her job. She’s bullied by a female boss who even accuses her of stealing out of her purse.

“There are individuals who get in their car and every single day they go to work,” said Love. “But sometimes when they get to work, they don’t want to get out of their vehicle because they know what kind of day they are going to have.”

Human resources consultant Paul Bazell works with several companies in North Texas. “Nobody should have to tolerate feeling badly about the place they work,” he said.

According to Bazell, workplace bullying usually happens in the form of verbal abuse. “It could be a manager who feels the need to always put their hands on and re-do whatever it is you’re doing.”

Most people would rather leave a job rather than report bullying. Generally the biggest concern is fear of retaliation, but in this job market, workers may not have the option to leave, and experts say a rough economy gives bullies the upper hand.

“They are using society’s economic situation to really identify someone and target them,” Bazell said.

So what can employees do if they are being bullied? Most experts agree the incidents should be documented with records of dates, times and details of what happened. The employee should then contact the company employee assistance program or explain the problem to human resources.

Lee Love says she solved her problem by “killing her boss with kindness,” or in other words, being so accommodating it was hard for her boss to find fault with anything. But that technique may not work in every situation. Love hopes her book sends a message to managers who are mistreating employees and gives some comfort to workers in a tough situation.

Comments

1. Joe Doe says:

I am the real victim from Atmos Energy. My boss and PM was bullied at me. My boss terminated me. I will file a lawsuit against the company.

2. TT Garland says:

I work for a grocery store, the name of the store it rhymes with mom and numb, and this type of bullying happens everyday, co-workers call HR and dont hear from them. Instead the Manager usually finds out who called on him, and he ends up cutting their hours or transfering co-workers who call on him or any other managers

3. jane doe says:

I WORK FOR THIS CATERING COMPANY FOR TWO YEARS,THE MANAGER THERE NEED HELP CAUSE SHE TOLD ME THE REASON SHE HAD HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE IS ME,AND THAT SHE AND NO BODY ELSE THAT WORK THERE LIKE ME,THE MANAGER AND OWNER WOULD SMOKE IN THE OWNER OFFICE WHICH IS NEXT TO THE ROOM WHERE THEY MAKE TRAYS AND OTHER FOOD FOR EVENTS SO WHO DO YOU CALL WHEN THE OWNER AND MANAGER ARE BEST FRIEND AND THE OWNER UPHOLD HER ACTIONS

1. Robert Lynn Cooper says:

Not printing in CAPS is a start…makes YOU look like the bully.

1. Rod says:

does not,makes them look upset.dumb

2. KENYAN USURPER BULLIES USA says:

2. froben grommet says:

maybe she just sick you not use punctuation and plural. maybe that why she smoke and no body get told.

1. n moss says:

Hilarious.

3. Roz says:

I would let them be by theirselves, hell leave them with nobody to work with, let them work by their selves and get the work done.

4. bob says:

well i have worked for bosses that do not appreciate employees and i have worked for myself and seen both ends. so saying that as a boss you don’t hire someone to stand around and chit chat you hire them to WORK and has employee open your mouth and say something! you do not have to sit there and take it! HELLO!

5. cr says:

WHAT IF HR DOES NOT HELP WHEN YOU GO TO THEM, WHAT NEXT? HR DEPT DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR TARRANT COUNTY

1. Dan says:

Hire a lawyer, try to get incriminating evidence in writing, start tape-recording meetings with permission of course. HR will listen to a lawyer.

1. MH says:

Texas has a one party consent law law. If you are present or get permission from one person that is present we you can not be to record for you, you can record. no need for permission. Look at Texas Wire tapping laws, more specific Texas Penal code 15.02 I am in the process now, Been bullied since 2008 at a fortune 500 logistics company.

2. Ex-Tarrant County bullying victim says:

I worked for Tarrant County too & neither HR nor the EAP helped. The mediary guy quit a week for I got to talk to him. Ann Smith was over HR at that time & she was as bad as my boss, even asking me who I was to say anything thing about my boss, asking if I knew how long she’s worked for the County. So the longer you work for a place the more you get to bully people? Just ot be mean? She didn’t have a problem w/ my work, she just wanted to be mean.

BTW, if someone doing reference checks asks your reference things like, “are (you) the type of person to try to take over someone’s job”, they’re really asking if you’ll lay down while they run over you as they climb up the boss’ butt. They’ll diss & sabotage you at every opportunity & get cozy w/ the boss who will side w/ them because they’ve been working w/ them longer.

Bosses should never let someone w/ the same job title have access to resumes or do reference checks, esp when that person has already expressed jealously & control issues. If they hire you anyway, they just want to watch the fireworks.

6. FHjr says:

on Septtember 30, 2011 I will open up my webpage called the Watchfuleye. My page has been created soley to address administrative bullying. Check out my page, and if you like what you see, you can tuned in to my talk show on DFWiradio where i will disscuss the subject of administrative bullying, and what we plan to do about it, and how we plan to fight back. FIGHT BACK

7. FHjr says:

I would like to get in touch with the author who was apart of this story Lee Love to book her as a guest on my show to talk about work place bullying. How can she be reached.

8. tdcj worker says:

I can relate to the statistic for being Gay.

1. freeland dave says:

That’s OK, I can relate for being White, Christian and straight.

1. MorganGray says:

Dave, I agree. Following one of our interminable “sensitivity trainings” where the … um … non-ethnic employees were bullied for over 3 hours, I came up with the following.
        “I am a member of the single most despised class in America today; I am Straight, Male, White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant, Conservative, Christian, Pro-Life, Gun-Owner, Republican. Now, tell me I’m wrong.”
        So far, I haven’t had to use that phrase, but my former Department Manager thought it was rather clever.
        I’m still holding that in reserve.

9. derbydoll says:

The strong will always bully the weak altho bullying takes many forms. It’s just a job, get a life and get over it.

1. Eric says:

What a simplistic platitude. Peolpe HAVE to work and it is unacceptable for those with the authority to hire and fire to abuse that piower by bullying people who need the job to pay their bills and feed their family. People aren’t bullied becuase they are personally weak or because of some other moral failing, they are bullied because they lack power and they lack options to go elsewhere. To learn more about why people are targeted, please look here: http://www.workplacebullying.org/individuals/problem/who-gets-targeted/

1. Rick Brad says:

Yea but -The difference here is plain old harrassment versus sexual harassment. In sexual harrassment, it always comes down to how the victim feels about certain actions. If bullying is solely judged by how the victim “feels”, then there is no hope for business. As a boss, I can tell you that just about anytime I correct an action or behavior, people “feel” bullied. Unfortunately it is my business and I want it run the way I know it will work best. My staff actually put up a fight (ongoing) for the “right” to leave their dirty dishes in the sink that people try to use all day. When I start layoffs due to this crummy economy, guess who will be first.

2. mike says:

AAAmen!!! When did we become a country of sissies? Take some ownership of your life and make it what you want. If you don’t like what you do or the environment in which you do it – go find somewhere else to work or start your own company and create your own environment. Quit being babies and expecting someone else to fix everything for you! This is the real world, kids. You need to learn how to deal with it…

10. BigBoa says:

Don’t kid yourself. WHO pays the HR salary? Management. And THAT is who they work for. When they want to get rid of you due to age, disability, etc, they work HAND in HAND. The mighty Boa PROVED his manager was outright lying during a meeting. All the HR manager would sit there and say? “Well, that’s just one example”…. There is a LOT more to it, but seriously. HR is NOT on your side.

1. SmallMongoose says:

Did the “mighty boa” get fired?

11. Ft Lauderdale Dad says:

only the weak get bullied….and bullies only understand force

as a kid…the best way to deal w/ a bully is to punch him/her in the throat & kick them when they fall

any adult that lets another adult bully them at work or anywhere else is a wuss

1. Bubba says:

^^^^ Bully that needs his butt kicked.

2. Eric says:

Meanwhile, back here in civilization those who respond with force are liklely to be slapped with restraining orders and assault charges which is great conversation fodder for your next job interview; Truly brilliant!

1. n moss says:

He said that was what they did as kids. No one expects you to assault someone just standup for yourself for goodness sakes. Iwas basically the smallest kid in my class until my senior year and I NEVER allowed myself to be bullied. My father taught me to stand up for myself and over come fear if necessary in order to never let someone bully me. if you let someone walk over you then you will never getup out of the dirt.N

3. HardWorkIsHard says:

And they also shoot other dads to death at their six-year old’s hockey game.
      -Note to self, don’t move to Ft. Lauderdale, unless I plan to get punched in throat, and kicked when I fall after triggering the irrational anger of “Ft Lauderdale Dad”

4. MorganGray says:

So what is the solution, then? Should I throw a punch into the jaw of the manager who uses racial threats to bully me and other employees who are of another ethnic background?
      That, in the real world is called “assault and battery” and last time I looked, it is illegal. You lose your job and go to jail for that sort of thing.

12. SW Tester says:

I worked for a very small software firm, for a boss that took a dislike to me the first day he met me. Unfortunately, his wife was the only person in the HR Department, so saying something to her would have gone right back to him. A no-win situation….

1. Still In MO says:

That is not bullying. That is a personality conflict.

13. mrburns says:

So please define workplace bullying for me, because “It could be a manager who feels the need to always put their hands on and re-do whatever it is you’re doing.” is not bullying, it’s micro-management (or maybe your product sucks?). Annoying yes, but bullying? C’mon. You nancies want to feel all warm and fuzzy about going to work. It’s called WORK people. Get over your petty complaints and go do what you get paid to do. Call me when somebody wipes their armpit on your head, puts a booger in your sandwich, intentionally runs into you in the hallway or steals your lunch money. Jeez what a bunch of pansies.

1. wish I knew years ago says:

mrburns ~ your comment reeks of cold hearted ignorance. Workplace Bullying is psychological violence, leading to serious physical and mental health conditions, most commonly anxiety, depression and PTSD. You should become a little more compassionate (if thats possible) and especially a little more educated on the subject!!

Early Signs of Bullying ~ You know you’ve been bullied at work when….

•You feel like throwing up the night before the start of your work week
      •Your frustrated family demands that you to stop obsessing about work at home
      •Your doctor asks what could be causing your skyrocketing blood pressure and recent health problems, and tells you to change jobs
      •You feel too ashamed of being controlled by another person at work to tell your spouse or partner
      •All your paid time off is used for “mental health breaks” from the misery
      •Days off are spent exhausted and lifeless, your desire to do anything is gone
      •Your favorite activities and fun with family are no longer appealing or enjoyable
      •You begin to believe that you provoked the workplace cruelty

Definition of Workplace Bullying

Workplace Bullying is repeated, health-harming mistreatment of one or more persons (the targets) by one or more perpetrators that takes one or more of the following forms:

■Verbal abuse
      ■Offensive conduct/behaviors (including nonverbal) which are threatening, humiliating, or intimidating
      ■Work interference — sabotage — which prevents work from getting done

Learn more at WBI Research
      Work Shouldn’t Hurt!

1. Bob says:

I worked for a company where a manager pulled a 6 inch hunting knife out on me and when upper management was anonymously told about this, they sent corporate lawyers to the plant to tell all the engineers to be careful what they put in emails because they don’t want to get sued. welcome to corporate america.

2. Mr. Kelly says:

I think what Mrburns is trying to say is the story might have been a little more relavent if they had used more examples of actual bullying, rather than the person being bad at their job. Or called someone a name that could very well have been that person’s nick name or a name he gave himself. (My asian friend Adam calls himself “Charley”, my fat friend Fred calls himself “Bus”, etc.) This woman was clearly so close minded that if this was the case, she would never have caught on. She was looking for bullying, rather than trying not to (Disprove). As a person that isn’t looking for racism under every leaf, bullying under every comment, and over all a person that understands upper midwest culture. There are many instances that this woman would think is bullying, but the person she thought was being bullied didn’t think so. I’d bet money on that.

No one is saying there isn’t bullying at work, but even in your examples. Very few if any of them have anything at all to do with actual bullying. I have severe anxiety. Yes, I do sometimes throw up at the thought of a work presentation I have to put on later that day. That is not bullying. My frustrated family demands I stop obsessing about work. I work hard, and put a lot into what I do. That is not my company bullying me. I don’t have high blood pressure, but to assume high blood pressure is a result of bullying. Possible sure, but more than likely high blood pressure is caused by something other than bullying. Just because you get offended, intimidated, or humiliated at work. Doesn’t mean anyone bullied you. It may mean you naturally just get intimidated at the thought of something, or humiliated when people realize you made a mistake. Or you are the type of person that looks for reasons to get offended, or reasons that other people might get offended. I know a lot of people that get offended if you simply disagree with them. Usually, no 100% of the time they are those that call themselves progressive, but that’s for another story.

I could go down the list. But the point is very few if any of your examples necesarily has anything to do with bullying at all. They are more than likely biproducts of personal issues, a stressful job, or being bad at your job.

So to go back to Mrburns point. If this is how we are suposed define the early signs of bullying. Wow, just wow. This is what I think Mrburns is lambasting, that there are people like you that believe what you just posted. It’s that rather than show examples of actual bullying, you post how the bullying might make you feel. Feelings that are completely normal to feel when there is zero bullying going on.
        And then to write a story, or post links to other websites that share this twisted view on bullying does a great disservice to people that are actually bullied. As well as those who are not, but you made them believe they are. Therefor they had to find an innocent manager to blame because they throw up before work. It can ruin peoples lives to be accused of such a thing. People such as Mrburns and myself see people like you trying to make everyone a victum, and creating actual victums in the process as the problem.
        The whole circle makes people who are actually bullied afraid to come forward.
        So please, next time show us examples of actual bullying.

14. Richard Henkle says:

A new survey shows that 70% of adults are cry-babies. Next week: A new survey shows that 70% of adults are bullied on internet comment threads, and cry about this also.

1. so true says:

rofl

2. Responding to Idiots says:

And new survey shows Richard Henkle is an idiot.

3. richb313 says:

Spoken like a true Bully

4. Bah, it's all tripe says:

Dead on. Bunch of cry-babies in this country. You get told to do your work in the fashion you were trained to do it. After the 50th time being corrected, you get your a$$ jumped and think you’re being bullied. I see it all the time. The supervisor rides their a$$ until they either conform, get fired or quit. Work place bullying is freaking rare, but you wussies have broadened the definition so much that it includes everything that makes you “FEEL” bad.

15. Lee Goodboe says:

If you want to see bullying etc…… Try the US Postal Service, Politics rule and if you get in the way they will take you dow. Mail carriers have at times shot groups of people or themselves in a attept to escape the hostile work enviroment.

16. Rbt M. says:

Worked with an over-sized first-time-in-white-shirt-and-tie micro-manager who stood behind me stealthy for 10+ years commenting on my every movement. Cancer and two brain tumors later, I still prefer freedom from that.

17. bdk says:

I came from the mortgage industry and we were ALL bullied by mgmt. So much so that when I interviewed with other companies I asked how they dealt with performance if ppl didnt hit their mark. Many said they would look to see where improvement could be made or identify what the problem is.. In the mortgage industry it was always YOUR fault and ppl’s jobs were threatened all the time whether you were a loan officer for a small company or worked as a B2B rep for a large well known bank/ lender.

I had one client who had a “4 or the door policy” (close 4 deals or you are out) with their LO’s, others were pushed to sell certain products and the list goes on. Yet we, former mtg employees, all continue to pay the price and are stereotyped, blackballed from getting work which snowballs into massive employments gaps where now we cant get work b/c of where and who we worked for but also b/c we are unemployed!!

1. Mr. Kelly says:

Let me get this straight. You think it’s bullying if you don’t perform as well as other employees and you get let go for it?

So if you hire me to turn 4 bolts a day. Something most people can do without problem. And I can’t do it, why again should I feel like i’m bullied if you fire me? You didn’t hire me to turn 3 bolts a day. I’m not doing the job I was hired to do. I would expect to get fired. What that has to do with bullying I have no idea.

Of course it’s your fault if you can’t do the job. My lord, remind me never to hire you. If the question you ask in your interview is what I would do if you don’t do what I hire you to do.

18. Boss Man says:

Waaaahhh! Quit browsing the web and get to work!

1. freeland dave says:

So Boss Man, if you are working what are you doing here browsing on the web?

Me? I’m retired so what I do with my days are my business.

19. Boss Man says:

P.S. Waaaaah!

1. richb313 says:

Boss Man it appears this article was written especially for you. Seek professional help before one of your emplyees grows a pair and deals with you in ways that will make you really cry. Adults, unlike children, have additional pressures and fae less options when dealing with people like you. Ever heard of the term going postal?

BTW, the easiest way to identify bullies is a complete lack of empathy.

20. Michael Bingham says:

I can see sissies and they are called the New American Generation. Grow a sack or go join a commune and hide from the world.

1. Quit crying says:

Amen brother! Let me give my age away and quote an old saying “Sticks and stones will beak my bones, but words will never hurt me”. Go ahead parents, use that one at the house, IT WORKS!

2. Jonathan says:

Who’s the sissy? The old school types who say “Sweep it under the rug”? You must long for the days when you could fire the secretary if she didn’t want to “go along” with your career advancment plan.

Or people who stand up to bullies and give it back to them with both barrels. Sorry, but I don’t get your logic. Stop pussing out just because you’re scared of your boss. Why don’t you grow a sack? Or go join a commune where everyone can do anything they want to anyone with no fear of retaliiation.

All you need is a proper perspective about what a bully REALLY is.

1. GatesBrown says:

The sissies are the ones that are too stupid to move on and become successful somewhere else.. Success is always your best revenge. Nobody is going to hire you if you have a track record of trying to keep a job that doesn’t want you.

Success is your best revenge.

2. Jonathan says:

No, Gates Brown, the sissies are the ones who roll over and die because they don’t stand up for themselves. So, they compensate for their spinelessness by doing what YOU do, which is quit, give up and go to the next greener pasture.

All this other BS about track records and jobs that don’t want you is just some kind of sophistry you are using to explain why you don’t have a backbone. When someone F’s with me at work, I make them pay for it. To the hilt. I’m not going anywhere. They are.

Heck, I should probably do my own blog, because I’m good at thrashing bullies. And I love helping other people at work do it too.

21. Irishscot2 says:

Had a CFO/COO that thought he was he be all to end all. Ran rampant over the entire company, tolerated by the CEO. He and I finally came to a point where he threatened my job as I was stopping at the head office on the way to Asia. Told me he could fire me whenever he wanted. Looked him straight in the eye and said he was nothing but the schoolyard bully – he had better do it NOW if he could, if not, I would take him out.

One year later I did. Nothing but a bully, can’t stand the type.

22. Miriam says:

According to the HR consultant, bullying “…could be a manager who feels the need to always put their hands on and re-do whatever it is you’re doing.” That’s not bullying – that’s somebody being just a bit (or maybe alot) OCD! But in a world where everybody’s encouraged to think he’s the center of the universe, all it takes is somebody not doing something to specifically lift a person up, to make that person feel put down. How about if everybody quits whining, grows up, and gets on with life? Sheesh!

1. richb313 says:

Miriam, what really concerns me about these comments is the complete lack of empathy shown by many of the posters. I worked offshore and at sea. I never had a problem with bullies but they were everywhere. Biullies use thier position to make life unbearable for people they just do not like. They have no empathy and boast to everyone how much fun it is to do this. Offshore was not for the weak but even the strong have no options when on the recieving end. Blackballed is a reality.

Today offshore it is improving because management has found out that workers are more productive when the dictatorial methods of the bully are not rewarded. Bullies have no respect for anyone other than themselves and have zero empathy. It is the haven of sociapaths.

I have seen the results, too many times, of this type of bullying. Usually when the helicopter lands and when in the parking lot. Fights break out, police get involved and it is always the recipient of bullying that goes to jail and has thier life ruined.

23. Eric says:

Those who are blaming the victims here fail to grasp that employees who are bullied have no choices in the present eceonomy. If you confront the bully, you get fired and other employers always identify with employers and don’t want to hear about what really happened at the last job. People can only endure being bullied for so long and the lack of options only makes it worse. It’s especially bad in the vaunted “small businesses” that happen to be run by bullies where your only choice is to cope or quit.

24. TMan says:

Ever had a boss you didn’t like… well then you’ve been bullied. Ever had a co-worker you didn’t like… well then you’ve been bullied. Had a bad day at work… you guessed it – bully problems. What a load of nonsense.

1. Jon says:

“It doesn’t matter to me, therefor it isn’t relavent”

You sound like a typical redneck. You obfuscate the problem with some non-applicable statlement and then poo-poo the whole idea because it,… maybe sounds uncomfortable to you for some reason.

Not liking your boss doesn’t mean he’s a bully. Are you a bully if someone doesn’t like you?

25. albert8184 says:

Funny how this article only mentions bully managers, as with all the commenters.

Sometimes managers are the enablers of employee bullies. I work on a warehouse crew of men that is dominated by one female employee with an attitude. She is hostile, verbally abusive, overbearing, gossipy, phony, and constantly causes drama during the shift. She makes physical threats against other workers and has petty personal insults down to an artform. She makes personal attacks against people openly; the more spectators the better for her. She even berates anyone who uses the microwave ahead of her during lunch. She definitely has the attitude.

Managment does nothing because – “the work gets done and that’s all that matters…”

1. nmoss says:

Why don’t you stand up to her? I keep reading the comment you have no empathy if you say quit whining and standup for yourself. What a big load of logical fallacy. Just because I believe people should standup for themselves and not be walked over doesn’t mean I have no empathy, one has nothing to do with the other. All of you people who stand by and do nothing about the bullying but critisize those that do have the empathy problem. if I see someone being bullied you can guarentee I’m having words with the bully. I help people all the time and still have the cojones to deal with bullies.

1. n moss says:

my keyboard is fried and the buttons won’t cooperate when typing fast, soory about all the typos. Should be a instead of e in guarantee.

2. albert8184 says:

I guess you just have to be there nmoss.

The problem is that MANAGEMENT isn’t standing up to her. We are. And we also are NOT going to quit. She’s going to quit or we’re going to see to it that she’s fired.

Personally, I think they’re afraid of her because she’s a protected class of person.

26. bob says:

wow see its a part of life. get thicker skin and get over it. tired of hearing ppl point fingers and cry about this…. people made fun of me so I shot them … no your have mental problems with coping. I have been fat most my life and i hear it all the time … i haven’t killed other or myself so bullying must not be it. we as a society are going to fail if we continue to empower the weak and handicap the strong.

1. Jonathan says:

Sounds to me like you’re the kind of guy who just takes it lying down Bob.

Maybe that explains why you’re fat… you use food to compensate the frustration you feel for being such a pushover. And to cover up your own lack of spine, you blame people who feel victimized because they don’t want to put up with it.

I’m dealing with a bully at work, and I’m certainly not going to allow her to continue running off other employees with her insane sociopathic behavior, just because wishy washy people like you want us to “shut up and go along.” I see no reason to let HER destroy good people.

27. spaceghost says:

Just accuse them of grabbing your sexual areas in the bathroom without cameras and file an HR complaint and hire an attorney! That’s what I’m gonna do henceforth!

It’s gonna be FUN! Hehehe

28. spaceghost says:

Simple: BULLY the bullies legally! They HATE it – I KNOW for a fact!

Sexual harassment lawsuits are the answer here.

29. Durn Tootin says:

I got fired because I went to Employee Assistance for help with my bull of a boss.

30. dennism says:

The KEY QUESTION is: Who defines “BULLYING”? If this survey included Y-Generations, and Minorities, and asking them to get off the cell phone, work, and do their job, they would define this as bullying!. Of course it would skew this data significantly

31. jaline says:

If you don’t like the way the boss treats you, then QUIT. I’ve done it more than once. Bosses are usually bosses because they have lousy attitudes toward the employees. They’re little tin gods…whether it be in the stockroom or in government. It’s part of life…GET OVER IT!

1. spaceghost says:

F you ahole!

1. Jonathan says:

I second that sentiment, spaceghost.

Quit? I don’t want to quit. I want to make the bully quit. Jaline, when you become an adult, you will learn that dealing with problems headon is part of life. Not quitting is part of life. Acting like a quitter is for losers.

32. lukuj says:

I can’t help but wonder if many people don’t consider it “bullying” for those in authority to give orders or enforce rules. I found that in the class room that there are many different interpretations of bullying. Some kids said they were bullied when all that happened is that someone forcefully disagreed with them without a personal attack of any kind. I’m sure there is true bullying too, but did the study clearly indicate exactly what is considering bullying or to what degree?

33. cnm says:

At most companies it has never been about getting the work done, it is all about control, When you quit a job the employer always hates that because they just lost control over you. The best revenge is quitting, preferably to take a better paying job.

1. Jonathan says:

What are you talking about?

2. bob says:

Yup.. I’ve only worked at one company as an engineer where that was not true. Companies seem to like to promote those with low self esteem and a persecution complex to management — they make excellent little Hitler’s.

34. steve says:

I’ll bet 99% of the 70% were women…Just planting the seeds for yet another reason to sue your employer…”Boo hoo….I was bullied…”

35. TxnByBrth says:

HR is enjoying a great deal of power and authority these days and I can explain why. I can also explain why HR tends to hire the stereotypical person who are politically oriented (most have an MA in CYA) and are of the same mindset as those who go into law enforcement in order to have the power they didn’t earn while growing up…thus they have a predisposition to bullying.

HR normally reports into the CFO’s office. During these the CFO has more influence with the BOD and the other members of the executive management team…after all…they are given more control over expenditures, cost control, etc, and as a result their reports (HR is among the reports) have more influence and control. I’ve witnessed first hand how HR has impeded progress of their company for the sake of defending their ‘territory’ and the process which gives them veto power over hires, raises, benefits, etc.

The types of people who work in HR have to justify their existence by the ‘problems’ they solve, or the money they save…their bonuses and promotions depend in large part by keeping other employee’s wages in check, etc. I’ve seen countless times when they bullied hiring managers, in some cases executives with higher pay grades then the HR person, by unspoken threats (those at the receiving end of these know exactly what they are) and by their inaction in other instances.

and ‘steve’…fact is most of those in HR are women…and they’re the worse when it comes to holding grudges…”Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned”…just doesn’t apply to affairs of the heart…it can sometimes apply to matters of the work place.

36. Texana says:

People have been mean to me. I want to cry. Wah, Wah, Wah. This world is turning into a bunch of damn cry babies. Gut up and quick whining, or find another job where you are appreciated.

37. spaceghost says:

Say they grabbed your ____________.
    Corroborate with one coworker (not hard with a bully!)
    go to hr and sue – they’ll lose their JOB!

38. RicardoCabeza says:

New study shows that 70% of workers are complete pu.$$ys

39. The Smoking Man says:

I am proud to say that I have never been bullied. Not because people haven’t tried, but because I was raised to stand up for myself. No job…let me repeat, no job is worth having your self esteem assaulted. If you feel you are being bullied, you must stand up for yourself. Speak calm, speak with confidence, & let the bully know you will not put up with it…ever.
    One of my biggest life regrets is that I used to be a schoolyard bully (this was 30 years ago & I agian, I deeply regret those days). And let me tell you, I never bullied anybody who had the cajones to stick up for themselves.

1. Bob says:

Problem is, you stand up for yourself and you quickly find yourself on unemployment.

40. George Costanza says:

The fatty who was called a walrus should have said “Oh yea, well the jerkstore called, and they’re running out of you!”

41. Phyllis D Anderson says:

Why don’t you quit whining. Either suck it up and work so hard they will not want let you go, or find another job. NOBODY likes a whiner!

42. Jared Larson says:

My wife was constantly bullied by her director. It started when she refused to follow an unethical order and explained the regulations that needed to be followed required a totally different course of action.

Boss didn’t like that and targeted her. For the better part of a year she was the recipient of screaming, second-guessing, and every undermining activity imaginable.

However, she happened to be about a hundred times more competent than her boss, who was a 15 year director in this hospital. She was offered a director position in a larger hospital in a large city, which she accepted. She then delivered her resignation to the company and all hell broke loose as department after department refused to do any business with the boss without my wife to provide competent assistance.

Apparently her bullying was not confined to subordinates, and unlike subordinates,10 different department heads didn’t have to just grin and bear it.

2 days after she resigned, an executive VP asked her for a meeting. In this meeting he said, “we are prepared to have her office cleaned out in 24 hours if you will consider taking her place.”

Which she did.

That was nearly five years ago. There are plenty of bullies there now, but they are unaware of the arrangements that led to her assuming this directorship and that they go all the way up to the hospital president and the company CEO, and no amount of whining on their part will break through her network because it tops out…at the top.

Most bullying victims wind up changing jobs. She was one of the .1% that wound up getting a promotion out of it and putting the bully out on the street.

43. tinylites says:

First have some damn self-esteem. Second learn how to give the finger. Third learn how to give the finger at the same time you string some profanity their way.. Fourth get even for the cry’in out loud.

1. Mr. X says:

Fifth…take aim and pull the trigger!

44. tinylites says:

And hey getting teased does not qualify as bullying. Bullying by original definition needs some physical contact. In other words “Sit down and shut up”.

45. Mike Alright says:

In reality men are bullied at work, women are harassed. Then the female will get the full support of HR and the “law” behind her. Men just have to deal with it. The sooner this feminized (baby-boomer ruined) nation financially collapses, the better off the world will be.

46. Jeff says:

This just in 70% of workers need to stop being babies, and fight back, tell someone or quit. This is not high school and adults should not feel like children with no power of their own.

Take pride in yourself and who you are. If you want to be a door mat then that’s what you will be.

A persons career is for keeps and can be competitive. if you need the government to pass anti-aggression laws for the workplace then that will be the end of innovation and those that make things happen.

Please understand bad behavior is not good but squelching a strong willed personality will only result in an ineffective day care for the mentally and emotionally challenged worker.

47. James Long says:

The workplace bully is a very sick individual. There is a repeating pattern to their behavior. and they can make you sick and get you fired. http://mandynamerica.com/blog/

48. JimmyT says:

““It was a heavy-set man and we were in a staff meeting,” Love recalled. “He was squirming about and I don’t know if he was trying to get up and go somewhere, but the boss looked at him and said, ‘Stop moving around. You move like a walrus.’”

This constitutes bullying?!? Are you kidding me?!?! What…are we a nation of Pu**ies now! Jesus… grow some people!

49. Spanky says:

If you want to see REAL bullies, check out union gangsters.

50. Mike says:

So 70% of adults are wimps. Makes sense – that’s why so many people look to the federal government to do what they should do themselves. Stand up to the big, bad bully. Exercise a little bit of your God-given independence and good sense and find a job at a company that values its employees. If you can’t afford to quit your job because you’re in debt, learn from your financial mistakes and don’t give away your freedom like that again. Grow the hell up already! Or vote for Resident Obama again – he’ll fix it all with more “hope and change”.

51. Do em all says:

Go Postal, that will show eM !

52. robert says:

I was “let go” because I wasn’t a bear. Would that be called bullying? Actually they said I couldn’t type fast enough. But I know it’s because I was not gay. Company in Carlsbad sucked any way.

53. Silent but deadly says:

I get them back by crop dusting near the door to their office while they are on the phone. What a relief and a great sense of satisfaction.

54. Mr. X says:

You just kinda hope that somebody shoots them. FIFY

55. Mike says:

I was bullied once early in my career. It went on for two weeks. I tried to ignore it, but the guy wouldn’t stop. He bullied others at work, and because he was a big dude, no one dared deal with him. Finally, I asked him to step outside in the parking lot–actually a strip of woods behind the parking lot.. When we got their, I asked him politely to stop bullying. He pushed me to the ground. I got up, and knocked him out with two hits. Broke his jaw, actually. I reckon those years as a Golden Gloves boxer paid off. He was very nice to me after that.. And was nice to everyone else in the plant also.

56. Survivor says:

You haven’t experienced the exquisite ordeal of working for a narcissistic personality with an obsessive compulsive disorder. They can’t bring themselves to find the good in anyone or anything anyone does. They are put down artists and whisperers, constantly stabbing people in the back in order to maintain their status as number one, and they nit pick people for every imperfection while holding themselves up as paragons of virtue and knowledge. Pathetic personality disorders that manage to float to the top and become managers.

How does that happen you ask?

1. Jonathan says:

We’ve got one at my workplace, who we are in the middle of getting rid of. It took a long time on my part trying to cajole my coworkers into ganging up on her with complaints and paperwork, but it finally paid off. We’ve finally all come to the mindset that she’s GOT to go.

Won’t be long now, thank God. I hope they fire her A** the week before Christmas.

2. James Long says:

“It could only happen in government or unionized work places in the private sector.”

Unfortunately, no. The first two I worked for were in the military, and I thought they were crazy. One of them had a “nervous breakdown,” ending his career. I got out of the Army and went back to school for an MBA,with the intent of learning why the Army kept crazy, incompetent officers. Nothing in the study of management or psychology addressed my problem. My first two managers in civilian life were exactly in the pattern. There are some prominent SOBs including Rahm Emanuel and Captain Holly Graf, USN.

Read “Memorable SOBs in Inaction” at http://mandynamerica.com/blog/ for a review of some memorable SOBs.

1. Jonathan says:

Captain Holly Graf… now there’s a familiar name. I’m surprised somebody didn’t push her worthless A** overboard one night. I bet she stayed away from the side of the boat in the open ocean.

3. wish I knew years ago says:

Yes, indeed it does survivor ~ I worked in a state job for 11 years and during the fifth year a new exec director was placed and right off she hired one of her homegirl buddies to be new manager. Both these women were narcissistic sadistic Nazi’s. But my new supervisor was tasked with driving me out because the new exec director said I was “collateral damage” . I was intimidated, harrassed, my work was always rejected, I wasnt allowed training others were getting.

Right off the exec director asked HR what was the procedure to legally terminate a civil servant and then she sicked her Nazi crony on me. In other words I was being set up to fail.

I hung on for five more years, knowing I needed at least 10 yrs in to get vested in the pension pgm. But those last five years were a living hell. They started with disciplinary action for some trumped up violations and then she failed me three years in a row on my performance evaluation. In between I had two mental break downs where I was out for a couple of months on temp disability. It was then under doctor’s care I was diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar disorder. Never knew all those years of my life this was my problem. Still unfair to discriminate against me like that. I even filed complaints with Civil Rights but still was denied. These kinds of cases are really hard to prove, or at least thats what I was told.

Last year I got wind that they were ready with the final blow, a final disciplinary action to terminate me…found her email to the DAG’s office on the printer and quick made a copy. I had already been throught the grievance and appeal procedures but my union rep told me it was a “kangaroo court” and a “stacked deck” and no matter what I presernted I would lose. You cant fight them as long as it being taken care of under their roof.

When I got wind of what they were planning, before I could be issued the notice, I packed up and called out sick the next day. Then I went to my psychiatrist and got a letter stating that I wold be under extended medical care. I was on temporary disability for 12 weeks protected by the family leave act whereby no disciplinary actions could come against me, although a friend in HR told me confidentilaly that the ED was still seeking a way to issue the notice. (These kinds of people play dirty!!)

In the meantime I filed for disability retirement because thats the only way I could leave that job early with a pension and health benefits. Just one week before my temp disability ran out, PRAISE GOD, pensions and behefits approved my appilcation and for the last year I have been in therapy and healing. Now I am committed to lobby in our state legislature for the Healthy Workplace Bill to make workplace bullying illegal.

■Verbal abuse
      ■Work interference — sabotage — which prevents work from getting done

Learn more at WBI Research
      Work Shouldn’t Hurt!

57. Unreal says:

Sounds like a lot of people need some tampons. The best way not to be bullied, is to outperform everyone else. Work voluntary overtime, make suggestions to improve the workplace, and be an overachiever. Usually those people aren’t bullied but are promoted.
    OMG you boss wants you to do the job they are paying you to do.

1. James Long says:

Unreal –

Sounds like you need to pull your head out. I once gave local seminars on abusive bosses, and there was a sharp dividing line between people who had never experienced an abusive boss and those who had. You have obviously never had to deal with a real SOB. Ignorance is bliss.

58. Bob W says:

Upper management sets the tone and HR dances to their tune — or they’re out of a job. So good luck taking anything to HR, whose “professionals” are often powerless at best and snitches at worst. Either learn to live with the bullying or get out and save your dignity. It’s a dog’s world today in most large US corporations and their vision, mission and values — especially the values — are usually pure claptrap.

1. wish I knew years ago says:

Bob W ~ So true…my HR sat with me for years making me believe they understood and they’d do what they could to help. All along they were being threatened by my Exec Director to “support the department or her boss would haer about this!” HR was so intimidated that when I finally reitired and wanted to come in to pack my cubicle up, I was told that the ED told the director of HR NOT to allow me into the office during busiess hours to avoid conflict.
      WHAT FRIGGIN’ CONFLICT I asked?????

The girls from HR had to pack up my things for me and when I went in to get them I noticed the large plastic crate I kept under my desk with snippets of things I had collected over the years was not amongst theother boxes.

My guess is that while I was out on temp disability (and they had no clue I was applying for disabilty retirement so they expected I’d be back) they grabbed that crate for evidence that I was spending a lot of time on “personal things” and not on work. HA!! WHAT DIRTY ROTTEN CREEPS!!

Bottom line is, DONT TRUST HR…THEYARE NOT WORKING IN YOUR BEST INTERESTS!!!!!

59. Mike says:

What a ridiculous article! Bullying is threats, intimidation and force, not just thoughtless words and actions. This author seems to categorize anything you don’t like as bullying. “Bullying” has become the new “discrimination.”

But of course, this post probably means I must be a bully too!

60. Jennifer Ramirez says:

I had a boss who was a bully. She would deliberately leave out information that would result in mistakes being done, and then blame them all on me. So one day, sick of the BS, I called her boss and turned her in.
    Everything was great for about a month. No more weekly employee evaluations (everyone else got annual evals) no more listening to her scream at me because she ‘forgot’ to tell me something crucial that needed to be done until it was too late. It was a nice month.
    Then they fired me. Two weeks before Christmas. Not even a severance pay and they gave me no good reason they did it. So I spent the next year hanging around the house living off their Unemployment dime. It seemed like the best revenge I could get on that b*tch.

61. Ron says:

I’ve been a Contractor at a government research center for years. The amount of this type of behavior by “Civil Servants” towards contractors is amazing.

1. Nastyolbstrd says:

Civil servants have a tendency to fall down stairs, get busted with illicit drugs, or child porn on their computers. One should not mess with contractors

62. Fed up says:

What a bunch of weiners. Life is not fair. Deal with it. Go get another job and stop crying like a child. Grow up.

63. Bob Smith says:

I was fired from a job and then got another job some time later after i recovered from the trauma of being fired. on my next job i ran into a bully who made my life miserable. I was afraid to get into it with them because i was insecure from being fired I said something to the bully about her under the breath comments but she said it was her sense of humor. this went on for 2 yrs. i quit the job, mgmt asked why, i told them and i never heard back from them. I had developed a bad nervous cough, my bllod pressure skyrocketed to 150/110.

64. smokeybandit says:

““He was squirming about and I don’t know if he was trying to get up and go somewhere, but the boss looked at him and said, ‘Stop moving around. You move like a walrus.’””

Wait…if THIS is considered bullying, no wonder the number is 70%.

I didn’t know the definition bullying is now “say anything that’s not 100% complimentary”

65. Erich says:

Don’t go to HR if you work for MIcrosoft. They support the boss, even if he or she is breaking the law.

66. bob says:

Contact HR? is this author insane? 99 times out of 100 the bully is management, HR is for management NOT for the worker. I’ve been screamed at, had things thrown at me and even had a group leader flash a knife at me and the company didn’t give a hoot, they all consider that “effective management”.

67. moonmac says:

A nation of whining little wussies. Thanks again Liberals!

68. Linda says:

What a bunch of whiners and wimps we have become! I would be embarrassed to post something like this.

69. porchhound says:

This is an example of words losing their meaning. Bullying now can mean “supervising or reprimanding” an employee…I can just see the trial lawyers licking their lips in anticipation of yet another revenue stream coming their way!

70. SM in MO says:

I always said, the best job you will ever have is the one you just got hired on to, and the one you just quit.

My experience in the real world is that many companies have revamped their HR department to be their eyes and ears for those employees that “don’t drink the kool-aid”. You disagree with your boss, file an HR complaint, HR gives the information back to your boss. You wont be fired for the complaint, but you will then be put on “work-improvement” and your will be either fired for “not doing your job” (even if you are a successful long term employee with great merit reviews) or they will make it unbearable you will quit.

Lawsuits do not work as these companies have deeper pockets, and in many cases, can afford better lawyers.

If you hate your job, quit. It is tough in this market. If you don’t think you can find another, keep your head down, work hard, and be patient while working behind the scenes to make your career better. I went from a Fortune 500 company to a local, small town employer, excelled, and in the long run have raised my income by 15%. Got to be calculating.

71. Mr. Kelly says:

My lord, is this story for real? These people are ultra too sensitive to what it’s like to feel comfortable around people. Why don’t you understand that we want an environment at work that we can feel comfortable around too. And being around people like are featured in this story would absolutly make you walk on egg shells and always be worried about “Offending people” over such small things that they clearly don’t understand. That’s no way to go through life.
    You need to watch Grand Torino. Maybe you will learn a thing or two about how the upper midwest culture interact with friends or people they accept. If you think this is bullying, wow. Just wow. You are the one that needs help. Seriously.

72. i p stahding says:

with the loss of union protection and the rise of the anti worker cult look for a massive rise in workplace violence

73. GD says:

Yeah, so deal with it. Welcome to life.

74. An Associate says:

Walmart is one of the worst when it comes to workplace bullying. Just because they are the worlds largest employer does not mean they are any different from other employers. They do have a large percentage of employees that have limited chances to find another job. Most are just shelf stockers, a skill that can be learned in minutes. Open the cardboard box, put the cans on the shelf. Easy targets for management bullies.

75. Harpo says:

The Puzzyfacation of the American worker & no wonder we are becoming a STAY AT HOME WELFARE nation!

76. Chaz54 says:

To all of those who have ben bullied, this your president , barack H obama speaking to u……stop your whining.

77. Rudolph Smith says:

There are two type of people in the world,,, Sheep , Wolves which one are you going to be…

78. MDWhite says:

Bullying children is one thing. An “adult” whining like a six year old because somebody looks at them cross-eyed is something else.

Grow up. If it’s so bad, find another job or start your own business. Otherwise, grow a pair, get a life, leave it at the door and don’t invest your worth as a human being in your job.

79. Sig Freud says:

Getting a job is like buying a boat. The 2 best days in a boat owners life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it. People are so worried about their jobs, mainataining whatever level of comfort they have achieved, that no one cares who they have to step on or what they have to do. It has become intolerable for everyone. Whoa be to the person that complains because they quickly become ‘the problem”. We have become a nation of neurotic backstabbers. A nurse should be standing at the door handing out tranquilizers to people as they come to work.

80. Little Man Syndrome Bully Boss says:

People forget that standing up for yourself does not mean you have to say angry, hateful or rude things when you get bullied. “Do not call me a walrus, I take offense to that” and it probably won’t happen again! You have to try, don’t just take it or it will keep coming more and more. Take it from someone who stayed silent about being bullied. When the sexual harassment from the same guy came next – I spoke out. He got written up. Basically a slap on the hand. HR is there to backup management, period.

81. Rbt. M. says:

We should have a garden party. Kind folk only and he meanies can stay home, and lonely.

Comments are closed.