DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – When it opened in 1930, The old U.S. Post Office and Courthouse at 400 North Ervay Street housed every branch of the federal government that existed in Dallas at the time.
In the passing decades, the courtroom in the upstairs of the building held trials stemming from the most notorious crimes and criminals in Dallas history, including Bonnie and Clyde.
In 1961 it became Magistrate Sarah T Hughes’s courtroom. She is best known as the judge who gave the oath of office to President Lyndon Baynes Johnson on board Air Force One following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
The building was basically abandoned in the 1970’s and there was a big push to tear it down in the 80’s.
Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson was instrumental in saving the building, which was eventually sold to developer Shawn Todd who now leases the ground floor to the Postal Service.
Todd is also leasing out the rest of the building to people who will live in what are the former offices of the FBI, Agriculture Department and every other federal agency that was housed at 400 North Ervay.
The first tenants moved in this past weekend.
KRLD’s Emily Trube reports