Local

Suspected Gas Leak Causes Explosion That Blew Doors Off Hinges

View Comments
IMG_0042vs Arezow Doost
Arezow is thrilled to be back in North Texas after years ...
Read More

HALTOM CITY (CBSDFW.COM) – A suspected gas leak caused an explosion that blasted the kitchen doors off their hinges at a home in the 4900 block of Orien Street near North Park and Haltom Middle School Tuesday night, fire officials said.

The family was in the kitchen sipping coffee at about 7 p.m. when the explosion rattled the walls, sending fire shooting through the residence.

“I swear to God I don’t know how,” said Jaime Diaz, the homeowner. “The whole house shaking, the ceiling fell; I run for my life. I say I don’t care about the house.”

Diaz managed to get his wife out, but his son and 4-year-old grandson were still in the home. When the couple made it out of the home, they realized the children were missing and went back in after them.

Both were unharmed, and exited safely, Diaz said.

“They couldn’t find him, but good thing he’s OK,” said Alba Tavera.

The family said the blast happened near their furnace. As they watched their home burn, they said they are grateful.

“We are just blessed,” said Maggie Diaz, Jaime’s daughter. It’s a “Christmas miracle, I guess.”

MedStar was sent to the scene, but only one person was hurt in the blast: Jaime’s wife injured her hand.

View Comments