Grapevine Police: Shooter Tried Spreading Blame In Murders

By Ryan Crowe, CBSDFW.com

Updated 12/28 – 8:11 p.m.

GRAPEVINE (CBSDFW.COM) – Search warrants from a Christmas Day shooting in Grapevine show a family gathered in a living room and enjoying the holiday moments before the shooter opened fire, killing six relatives before turning the gun on himself.

MORE: 7 People Found Dead Inside Grapevine Apartment

Based on evidence Grapevine police say before Azizolah Yazdanpanah shot himself he planted a gun in the hand of his brother-in-law Mohammed Zarei.

Forensic evidence collected show Zarei was hit 4 times, with bullets from both a Smith & Wesson 9mm and a Glock 23.  The Medical Examiner ruled Yazdanpanah, called ‘Bob’ by friends and family, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Initially, police were looking into the possibility of two shooters, but ruled that Yazdanpanah had planned and carried out the attack by himself.

The bodies of all seven were found in the living area of the apartment belonging to Yazdanpanah’s estranged wife Fatemah Rahmati.  The warrant states all were seen by police sitting on couches or lying on the living room floor.

After making entry, police found the body of Yazdanpanah near the front door, along with several bullet shells on the floor.

At 11:15 Sunday morning – just minutes before the shooting – one of the victims, 22-year-old Sara Zarei, texted a friend about Yazdanpanah’s arrival dressed as Santa Claus.  “Now he wants to be all fatherly and win father of the year,” her text said, according to police.

At 11:36 Grapevine police say they received a 911 call from a landline inside the apartment.  The warrant says a man was whispering and asking for help before hanging up.

Update: Wednesday evening Grapevine Police released the 911 call.  In it, police say, you can hear Yazdanpanah saying “Help, help” and “I’m shooting people.”

When police tried calling back, nobody picked up, prompting officers to be dispatched to the house.

Read the Search Warrant documents below:

Comments

1. NiteNurse says:

As a child my dad would tell me horrible stories about what the depression did to the lives of people. He would talk about wealthy or financially well off people killing themselves and sometimes their families.This story and others like them don’t seem unlike the stories he told me. When a person has lost so much financially and personally it can make them do horrible things like this. I’m afraid we are going to expect more stories like this until the economy turns around.

2. Chill Dude says:

Not everyone is bilingual. Our apologies.

3. Gadsen says:

Well, it won’t turn around with the big ol’ 2014 tax hike that will come to pay for Obamacare. Nor will it turn around with more rules and regulations from bloated government bureaucracies.

1. 2sister says:

That comment should have been saved for an article on the economy. This article is about a sad and evil tragedy.

1. NiteNurse says:

Just trying to make sense out of this horrible tragedy. People do crazy things when they have lost so much in their lives due to this depression like recession.

4. Kris Martin says:

With the volume turned up, it’s sounds more like “He’s shooting people”, not “I’m”…not trying to split hairs here or be the devil’s advocate by any means.

1. BryanJ says:

You’re right. He’s saying “He’s” not “I’m”. It was pretty obvious when I listened to it the second time.

5. Sonya Elane Barron says:

I know the other gentleman, and he would never shoot his family. Mohammed Zarei, his wife and daughter were innocent victims in this horrid tragedy. I cannot make sense of much in this but I am sure of that one thing.

6. George says:

I’m pretty sure the caller is a victim calling for help, saying that someone else is shooting people — why would the shooter call 911 and whisper “help!” to the dispatcher that he’s shooting people? Reporter jumped the gun a little on that assumption that it was the shooter, think about it.

1. Tj Whitt says:

@George, no one can truly master knowing how people think and live. Desperate and confused people can do things that others do not and will not understand.

Some who are depressed and angry may take it out on others but still feel that they need help. This 911 call may have been the shooters last call out for help, but sadly, it was too late.

7. Mary Hanke says:

Is it true that this was a muslim ritual killing.

8. Mary Hanke says:

I’ve heard that this was a Muslim honor killing. I pray for the family. So sad.

9. I went to iraq and i brag about it says:

Just like other users have posted “no money,no job will make people do bad things”..i can too see more of these mass murder and mass suicides near to come

Comments are closed.