End Of The Line For Bottling ‘Dublin’ Dr Pepper

By Ryan Crowe & Matt Thomas, CBSDFW.com
dsc 0011 End Of The Line For Bottling Dublin Dr Pepper

Courtesy: Dublin Citizen

DUBLIN (CBSDFW.COM) –  After a long legal battle, the doctor has ordered a halt to production of a distinct Dr Pepper product known to Texans as ‘Dublin’ Dr Pepper.

On Tuesday Plano-based Dr Pepper Snapple Group announced they had purchased the sales and distribution rights from Dr Pepper Bottling Company of Dublin.

That company had been making a cane sugar version of the popular soft drink for years from their Erath County facility.

Over the years relations between the bottler and Dr Pepper Snapple Group had become strained over their use of trademarks and sales outside of a 6-county territory around Central Texas.

The bottling company, which changed their name to Dublin Bottle Works, was the oldest Dr Pepper producer still in operation.  A press release from Dr Pepper Snapple Group says the Dublin plant will stay open, along with a soda shop and museum that has been part of the facility.

In the release Dr Pepper Snapple Group said a cane sugar-based variation of Dr Pepper would still be available across Texas.

Business owners near the plant are worried the move will mean a drop in summer business. Miles Gillman owns Granny Clark’s Restaurant nearby and says taking Dublin Dr Pepper off the shelves will hurt the town. “To Dublin, Dublin Dr Pepper was like Wal Mart is to the rest of America.  You never imagine it going away.”

The plant said because of the changes 14 people would be losing their jobs.

Dr Pepper Snapple says it will still support the community, and the mayor of Dublin says she looks forward to working with the new Dublin Bottling Works and Dr Pepper Snapple to maintain tourism.

KRLD’s Matt Thomas Reports:
Also Check Out:

Comments

1. Manda says:

Please don’t take my Dublin dr.pepper away.

1. Nick says:

you should have said pretty please…

2. Ray Vedder says:

BOOOOO! to Dr. Pepper! You went through all that to unemploy 14 good people?? SHAME on you!

1. Texaspride says:

Dublin has a population af only 2000 people and this plant is a trademark.shame on you for being ignorant

1. Nick says:

perhaps dublin should have diversified a bit…

3. Waco says:

NO!!!! Corp greed at it best again. Dont stop the tradtion of having Dublin Dr Pepper. How much does it really effect your sales?

1. Nick says:

relax, only the name will change…

4. Cedar Hill says:

I have grown up with Dublin Dr Pepper and so have my children. We love it. Everytime we go through Dublin, we stop and get some to take home. They are “special Dr Peppers”. Shame on Dr Pepper for shunning their roots. This makes me so sad and very very disappointed in the Dr Pepper Snapple group.

5. Nick says:

i bet most of you whiners couldn’t tell the difference between dr. pepper with corn syrup and sugar cane anyway…

1. Joey says:

If you believe that Nick, you are as ignorant as your comment. I whole heartedly agree with all of these comments. Shame on Dr. Pepper being worried about the use of “their” logo, it increased DP sales, didn’t hurt them at all.

2. Ann-Marie Nepper Meyers says:

Hey, Nick. Give me 48 hours and I can tell the difference.
      After I had my gall bladder out I lost the ability to digest high fructose corn syrup. I had no idea why soda and other sweet things went right through me until my husband bought some Dublin and it caused me no digestive distress. It led me to do some investigation and check with my gastroenterologist who confirmed my suspicions.
      If I can’t drink cane sugar Dr. Pepper, I am not a Pepper.

1. Nick says:

good thing they’ll still be bottling it in temple, tx…

3. Bobbie says:

You have obviously never tasted Dublin Dr. Pepper. There is a difference.

1. Nick says:

actually, i have — and it’s as smooth and tasty as the dr. pepper they bottle in good ol’ temple, tx.

6. kimmie says:

Most corporations would love to have an icon like Dublin DP was here in Texas. But, no, they had to shoot a symbol of what their brand (used to) stand for–small, unique, quirky. So, they have now lost my 2 purchases of Dublin DP a year, and my entire family’s daily Diet DP and Snapple habits. I had my first diet coke in a long while today, and there’ll be many, many more.

1. Nick says:

so you went from sugar cane dr. pepper to coke with artificial sweeteners? you know, there are OTHER soft drinks sweetened by sugar cane.

7. Keller, Texas says:

There is a definite difference! The sugar based version has a crisper “end to each sip. The other leaves more of an after-taste.

Do you work for Dr. Pepper Snapple or something? or just rude?

1. Nick says:

no, i just believe that dublin should have lived up to their agreements with the company. it’s their own fault. maybe you should be mad at them for not taking their name off the logo.

8. Stella says:

Well they have just made it easier for me to get healthy. No more Dr. Pepper for me, just water or tea. I am tired of paying big corporations money so that they can stamp out all of the individuality of our small towns across America.

1. Nick says:

extra, extra — read all about it — temple, tx to bottle sugar cane sweetened dr. pepper — extra, extra!

9. SwiftyRoo says:

It isn’t about legacy, it is about liability. Corporations are people…. Always scared and looking for ways to protect itself.

What this causes? Consumption. Consumption of names, legacies, environment, money, names and etc.

10. Gespenst says:

I’m going to miss having it at P. Terry’s here in Austin.

1. Nick says:

what, are there no cbs websites in austin to post on?

11. John Johnson says:

Shame on your Dr. Pepper. You were my favorite soft drink company. Now you will hurt local customers. Dublin D.P. was my favorite. And you dont make enough money to find jobs for 14 people. You should get a grip and reconsider. This is probably the worst decision youve ever made. And in Texas too, what are you thinking.

12. Yoyis says:

“a cane sugar based variation”

Well you can bet it won’t be REAL cane sugar and it won’t be coming from Sugarland, TX. South American beets anyone?

You all knew this was coming when Snapple, formerly Cadbury Schweppes bought out Dr. Pepper/Seven Up Bottling Group back in 2007. It was only a matter of time. It’s a sad day.

13. Henry says:

I would like to see all Dr. Pepper customers to boycott Dr. Pepper and see if that affects their sales. When they stop this non-sense and leave the Dublin Dr. Pepper company alone then we can start buying their products again

1. Nick says:

i think dr. pepper did the right thing. dublin should have lived up to their written agreements.

Comments are closed.