Dublin Dr Pepper Fans Furious At Corporation

By Kent Chapline, CBSDFW.COM

UPDATED at 3:15 p.m.

PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) – There’s a war happening online, and Dr Pepper is losing.

Wednesday, we reported that the Plano company is buying the bottling operations of Dr Pepper Bottling Company of Dublin, which was the company’s oldest still-operating bottler.

The move puts an end to Dublin Dr Pepper, a cane sugar version of the soda that the small bottler produced for a century.  Sugar-sweetened Dr Pepper will still be sold, but the Dublin bottler won’t produce it and it won’t carry the Dublin name.

Now consumers are telling Dr Pepper Snapple Group exactly what they think of the deal.

It’s not pretty.

Hundreds and maybe thousands of people are attacking the company on Facebook and Twitter.

Here’s a screenshot from the company’s Facebook page, taken shortly after noon Thursday (click picture for full-size version):

screen shot 2012 01 12 at 12 19 20 pm Dublin Dr Pepper Fans Furious At Corporation

A screenshot of Dr Pepper's Facebook page. (Photo credit Facebook.com)

Many commenters are accusing the company of deleting negative Facebook posts on its page.

And someone created an “Occupy Dr Pepper” Facebook page in support of the Dublin bottler.

As of noon 3:15 p.m. Thursday, the company had not responded to the negative posts, either on Facebook or Twitter.

The company’s stock price was down .71% at 12:27 p.m.

We contacted Dr Pepper Snapple Group for a comment about the backlash but they have not yet responded.

UPDATE: The company responded with an email shortly before 2 p.m, but they did not address the backlash.  Here is their entire statement, from spokesman Greg Artkop:

We will continue to produce and sell Dr Pepper with cane sugar, as we have for years.

The Dublin bottler contracted with a bottler in Temple to manufacture Dr Pepper with cane sugar.  Temple in fact produced virtually all of the bottled product sold by Dublin, as well as the cane sugar product that DPS sells in DFW, Houston and Waco.

So when a Dr Pepper fan finds Dr Pepper with cane sugar at a local store, it will be the same product they’ve always purchased.  It will still be bottled and canned in distinct, nostalgic packaging.  The only difference is it will not reference Dublin on the label.

We asked Artkop for an on-camera interview, but he declined.  However, he did talk on-air to KRLD’s Emily Trube — but here again, he didn’t address the intense online backlash.  Listen to the interview:

What do you think?  Leave a comment below!

Also Check Out:

1. D says:

i just emailed this to my address book…
    this is what I emailed to dr pepper. they closed the dublin plant and stopped production. it’s no big deal for most of us. but this was a destructive selfish act. there was no need to put dozens of small town people out of work. this all made me sad and i just wanted to share. so if you come to my house… leave the dr pepper home.
    love – me

You had to know these kinds of emails were coming. I came into my office this morning and talking over coffee, found out you executed the Dublin plant. The start of it all. The museum, the original. Basically you slaughtered your parent. I grew up around here. When we were young… coke was how we described soda. “you want a coke?” “yeah” “what kind?” “dr pepper” Dr. Pepper was a part of us. We never would have killed a part of our family. Today. Dr. pepper is no longer welcome in my home. No one will bring it in and it will not be purchased. This will make no never mind to you. But for me and the principal that you would have done this to this small town, that you were so greedy that you would destroy history and lives… you are now poison to me.

1. Oy Vey says:

What a catalyst for change you are. Kudos!

2. Nick says:

boo hoo — mr. pibb tastes better anyway…

1. Kolby Richardson says:

Most of the time i to each their own but it doesn’t.

2. Brad Leese says:

Mr. Pibb? Nasty!

1. Nick says:

there are many soft drinks better tasting than dr. pepper — mr. pibb is but one of them…

3. Elise Stockwell says:

Everybody has their own tastesnaps. I personlayy think Dr Pepper tastes better! I am not happy with Dr Pepper/Snapple for doing what they did, though and sent them a couple messages through their website saying so

3. Angela says:

You know I don’t know if I’m alone in this but to me the blame lies squarely on Dublin’s shoulders. Dr Pepper owns Dr Pepper. They sell production rights to various locations. They chose to respect the tradition of the plant in Dublin. To allow then to produce Dr Pepper marked as ‘Made in Dublin’ and to sell it in a certain area. But at some point this wasn’t enough. They decided to start labelling things “Dublin Dr Pepper” (see the sign above), to sell them all over the place, well outside the agreed area and to sell it online. What did they think was going to happen? Where they suprised that they were told if they couldn’t stick to the contract they would lose it? Now instead of having it as a local specialty we don’t have it at all. Thanks, Dublin.

1. Steve Holland says:

Angela, who do you work for? Your posting is dubious at best. It absolutely smacks of a branded counter campaign. Blame the victim. Classic.

Dr. Pepper sells billions-upon-billions of units annually. Dublin Dr. Pepper sold perhaps a few hundred-thousand, maybe a million in a good year. The real issue is about GREED. Its about corporate monoliths more focused on pennies than common sense. Dublin represented, at best, a minor rounding error to the corporation.

Dublin Dr. Pepper was a halo brand. For decades, it was considered the premier form of Dr. Pepper within Texas and the southwest. Your dealing with a brand that is part of Texas culture and lore. Killing it is an affront to Texan’s everywhere.

A wiser solution would have been to co-opt the brand and allow its wider distribution.

Personally, I will never buy their products again. From the looks of it, I’m not alone.

1. Elise Stockwell says:

I agree that they should have allowed a wider distribution. I think they woul have made even more profit from it because it was special due to the fact that the bottles say ‘Dublin Dr Pepper’ on them.

2. Nick says:

angela is correct. dublin was doing just fine until THEY got GREEDY and wanted to rebrand their sugar version as “dublin dr. pepper” and start selling it outside an agreed upon area. sorry steve — not falling for the evil corporation tactics. dublin blew it. they only have themselves to blame…

1. Steve Holland says:

For 120 years Dr. Pepper was very happy with the arrangement they had with Dublin. Only in the last 90 days did that change. Why?

Dublin was a halo brand that differentiated Dr. Pepper from the competitive set. They now have lost this asset. The public is outraged. The brand is not listening or responding to its customers, except it appears to blame Dublin. Do you really think that is going to work?

Combine the economic conditions + public perception of the Dublin brand + and the classic big versus small, and you have a real mess on your hands. Again, was it worth it to the corporation?

Your response, just like that of Angela’s, is really curious. Sounds like quick response talking points to me, issued by a clueless PR agency up to its neck in hot water and a brand that really didn’t think this through before acting.

2. Nick says:

gee, steve — blow things out of proportion much?

if you read the story, it says the dublin plant is not closing, they bottle other drinks, and dr. pepper will continue to sell the sugar cane sweetened drink in temple — there just won’t be a dublin brand name attached to it. big loss.

and i bet they made some agreement with the temple bottler that they can’t start branding it as “temple dr. pepper”. unauthorized rebranding is what got the dublin people in trouble and it’s their own fault. but it’s nice to know some texans don’t care about rules and laws — as long as they get their sodey pop!

3. James Weisinger says:

but you know what, this can also be Dr Peppers Fault because until recently there was a link to dublin dr pepper. and people wanted it. its about history, its park of what makes texas, well, Texas.. they didnt try to sell it out of area because as someone on the customer service line told me, there are other DP plants that sell the same version. Dublin is just known because it still uses Imperial PURE CANE SUGAR and was the original formula for dr pepper

4. Nick says:

well, apparently the court thought dublin was “more” in the wrong than the parent company. i still say pibb beats any kind of pepper.

5. Kolby Richardson says:

Nick Dr. Pepper/Snapple has more money to waste the tax payers money in court than the small Dublin Dr. Pepper co. So basically they pull the small company into court which they have to pay for and one of two things happens. Dublin cont. to fight in court and wins but is bankrupt, or they settle either way it is a lose lose for the small company. Get it.

6. Nick says:

no, kolby — dublin lost the case because they were IN THE WRONG. it’s that simple…

7. Brad Leese says:

I agree with Steve and want to add this… There are too many large companies now days making decisions based on greed rather than thinking things out first and asking their customers, you know those that actually make their company and jobs possible. Now it’s Dr. Pepper, before it was Netflix, Bank of America and way too many more to list here… Your customers are your biggest asset! If anything Dr. Pepper should have made the Dublin brand a “Premium”, heck I would have paid a few cents more for it to say Dublin. I grew up in Stephenville, a few miles away from Dublin and enjoyed many trips to the Dublin plant. Dr. Pepper needs to understand, it’s not the taste it’s the nostalgia. They took away something that can not simply be relocated, it has to stay where it is or it isn’t the same anymore and therefore just a memory. Why buy pure cane sugar Dr. Pepper if it doesn’t carry the Dublin name, the name that made IT famous?

8. Nick says:

brad — i think you overstate dublin’s importance. before the 80s, most soft drinks were still sweetened by sugar instead of corn syrup. so you’re talking maybe 30 years that dublin dr. pepper has even been unique in that regard.

9. Scott Williams says:

Nick, Dublin did not lose any case. Both the lawsuit and the counter lawsuit we dismissed, so there was no ruling. Dr Pepper bought out the sales and distribution rights of the Dublin plant. You think they would have spent the money it would take to buy them out if they thought they would win the case? Dr Pepper was referring others from around the country to the Dublin website and their phone number to purchase Dublin Dr Pepper knowing that Dublin was on the name and that those person’s were outside of the distribution area. So they were not against it until they saw it was getting more popular and they wanted to take it over.

10. Nick says:

oh, you’re right, scott, dublin did not lose the case. dublin had their case thrown out because it was found to have no merit — which, uh, effectively means, uhhh, that they lost their case — but thanks for clearing that up…

3. David says:

Unless Dr Pepper Snapple’s conditions for remaining a distributor were more than just adhering to their agreement, then Dublin was very short-sighted as they not only hurt themselves by having to lay workers off, but the whole town of Dublin.

1. Steve Holland says:

David, again… For 120 years Dr. Pepper was very happy with the arrangement they had with Dublin. Only in the last 90 days did that change.

I’m curious, have you read the agreement? Do you know the details? Were you present in the negotiations? I was not. I just know this, were talking about sugar water here. Consumers have a ton of choices, was the cost of working a bit longer with Dublin greater than the fire storm that has resulted?

This is a total train wreck that corporate Doctor Pepper could have avoided. They deserve what they are going to get as a result.

2. Nick says:

i guess when steve holland signs a contract or enters into an agreement, he thinks he can break the rules and do as he pleases with no repercussions — kinda like what dublin bottling company did. hmmmmm…

3. David says:

I don’t believe Dublin has been selling their product on the internet for 120 years in violation of their sales territory agreement and as far as I know putting Dublin in the Dr Pepper logo. This disagreement has been going on for a lot more than 90 days, maybe a year or two. It just finally came to a head in the last 90 days.

4. David says:

No I have not read the agreement, but it was reported and common knowledge that distributors are normally given a defined sales territory. I seem to recall mention in the past that the territory was a 40 mile radius, but it was reported to be the surrounding 8(?) counties. Also, licensed distributors are not supposed to modify trademarked logos, like putting Dublin in the Dr Pepper logo.

Now if Dr Pepper Snapple was demanding Dublin do more than honor their agreement then they are obviously at fault. However, if all Dublin had to do was quit selling outside their territory and remove the Dublin from the Dr Pepper containers they sell, then I think Dublin is at fault, and maybe even being a little arrogant. Don’t get me wrong, I love Dublin DP, go out of my way to get it, and will sorely miss it, but that doesn’t mean I condone breaking a legal agreement.

5. Kolby Richardson says:

David do you know how long the Dublin has been in the name?

4. Angela says:

@Steve Nah Dr Pepper corps been pretty quite on it. I’m from Plano but I’ve never worked for them. I’ve been to Dublin and I drove there to get my stuff. But I’m someone who believes in following the rules. I knew that they were only allowed in a certain area and started noticing them showing up in Dallas a little while back. First places like Central Market and then more and more commonly. I wondered how they were doing it and though that Dr Pepper had expanded their area. And as for 90 days check your facts. The lawsuit alone has been going on since June. Now I can’t get it even if I drive there. But I don’t think that’s Dr Pepper’s fault.

5. Brad Leese says:

Angela, you are obviously not a “local” as you would know in Texas without the Dublin name, Dr. Pepper isn’t any better than drinking Mr. Pibb or Dr. B from HEB. And with taste aside, when a brand get’s so popular that PAYING CUSTOMERS outside a designated area want to buy that brand the company producing it with rights or not, would have to be a fool not to get it to them anyway they could. Dr. Pepper’s decision to close the regular operations in Dublin aren’t Dublin’s fault. The fact remains that Dr. Pepper has made plenty of money off the name Dublin and “Pure Cane Sugar” being on it’s label as without those two known symbols Dr. Pepper just isn’t worth buying! At least that’s how so many of us in TEXAS feel.

Do you work for Dr. Pepper? Sure sounds like it…if you do, my suggestion is to go buy some wadders, a bucket and a big shovel ’cause Dr. Pepper will have some major clean up to do after all this is over!

1. Nick says:

sorry, brad — the only people who care are you texans. the rest of the 49 are just fine with dr. pepper maintaining control over their trademarks and agreements. facebook and twitter all you want, dr. pepper won the case. buh bye.

4. kimmie says:

Most corporations would love to have an icon like Dublin DP was here in Texas. But, no, they had to shoot a symbol of what their brand (used to) stand for–small, unique, quirky. So, they have now lost my 2 purchases of Dublin DP a year, and my entire family’s daily Diet DP and Snapple habits. I had my first diet coke in a long while today, and there’ll be many, many more.

1. Elise Stockwell says:

@Nick- Texans aren’t the only ones that care. I live in Western Washington and I care! I have a trip planned in March going to Texas and one of the stops I am making is in Dublin, spcificalliny to tour the “Dublin Dr Peppr” plant. I have my greyhoun tickets and hotel reservations already too. Now, that part of my trip will be ruined, because the plant is no longer named “Dublin Dr Pepper” bottling plant!! I was all excited about finally getting to see it and now it’s a big letdown because the name won’t be the same. There’s a lot of history that generations from now won’t have a chance to get to know

5. Bruce Call says:

Done with the Soda Jerk Dr. Pepper. Put the original plant down so you could take over the product and market share. Bad business boys!!!!!!!

6. David says:

Nick, you must be a yankee transplant.

I agree with Angela. The Dublin plant was violating its agreement. Unless they thought they could not survive financially without their agreement-violating internet sales then they could have ceased and desist their out-of-territory sales and Dublin labeling and probably remained a Dr. Pepper distributor. Now instead of 75%(?) of something, they have 100% of nothing.

1. Nick says:

davey, actually i’m from florida, but that has nothing to do with me preferring mr. pibb over dr. pepper. i didn’t realize living in the second largest state in the union required me to make some kind of oath to dublin, despite their production of an inferior tasting product.

if you must know, my favorite drinks are kutztown sarsaparilla and birch beer — then most root beers, then mr. pibb, then maybe dr. pepper if i’m not in the mood for a coca-cola…

1. Kevin H says:

Does Florida even have Dublin Dr Pepper? How can you rank Dublin Dr Pepper to your taste buds if you’ve never tasted it? It boils down to BIG company limiting smaller company’s market and then eliminating smaller company.

2. David says:

You don’t have to take an oath to Dublin. It’s just that most native Texans naturally feel an allegiance to Dr Pepper, especially the Dublin version, which is closer to the original. I confess that I was not that big of a DP fan until I moved out of state for a few years and yearned for that taste of home.

3. Nick says:

hey kevin — i never said i haven’t tasted it. i just said i’m not a yankee transplant. try to pay attention…

oh, and what it actually boils down to is — small company originally agreed to big company limiting small company’s market. problem arose when small company got too big for its britches — as you texans like to say…

4. Kolby Richardson says:

Nick go drink your coke and leave the conversation.

5. Nick says:

hey everybody, meet kolby — the dublin apologist of the day!

6. Rick James B! says:

Hey Nick, go suck on a Cadbury…!

7. WDB says:

I am appalled to think that I called American Airlines when I could no longer get a Dr. Pepper on their flights unless it was on the regional carrier American Eagle. I actually avoided AA if possible because of this and now I will avoid Dr. Pepper. Plano hoity-toityism at its finest. You obviously could care less about your roots and must have forgotten after a hundred years that this little bottling company was offered any area they wanted, and they chose a small area around their plant. Why should the introduction of the internet affect a hundred year old business? Could anyone care less about ordering any other soft drink off of the internet? Please cease calling yourself Texans, because this isn’t how we act down here. Your CEO used to drive a Pepsi truck. No wonder he thinks a plant that only runs once a month is damaging the company.

1. Nick says:

this is what happens when the dublin-ites get greedy and don’t hold up their end of the agreement. i didn’t think texans were supposed to do that. aw, so sad….

1. James Weisinger says:

your from Florida, what the heck do you know about Dublin dr pepper, because as you said in an earlier post “I havent tasted it” so since you never tasted it you can never know how different it is and you sure as hell can not compare it to the stuff that is labled dr pepper today. Dublin dr pepper was made with IMPERIAL PURE CANE SUGAR. which is the way it was originally made. Not how its bottled today

2. Nick says:

hey james — i was telling someone else i NEVER SAID i haven’t tasted it — it’s called a double negative — dolt. anyway, as i said before i have tasted it, and it’s way down the list of tasty soft drinks. i understand some of you texans are biased — that’s why you need people like me to tell you the truth.

2. David says:

That’s interesting because I thought it was the other way around because American Eagle is a contractor to AA. I got Dr Pepper on both my AA fights to and from NY last month.

1. Nick says:

what i find interesting is the guy actually chooses his air carrier based on what drinks they serve…

2. WDB says:

It was a few years back. Now Dr. Pepper is available on both again.

3. ByteMe says:

“Why should the introduction of the Internet affect a hundred year old business?”

Do you mean like how the introduction of the Internet (Napster and iTunes) revolutionized the music industry? Think before you type, moron.

1. Nick says:

i clicked on it and it said i have just won an iphone!

1. Brianna says:

Works for me.

2. kimmie says:

Works for me too. Thanks!

8. Tim Elmore says:

Usually corporations that take over some popular brand, leave it in tact. Well the Dr Pepper/Snapple group has blown it bad. Why could you not work with Dublin Dr. Pepper? The reason is that you are so da*n greedy and can’t stand the fact that a little city cut into THEIR business. Dublin is a great place with wonderful people, and just a plain no frills little town. Plano know that I for one WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING IN YOUR CITY AGAIN. I resent you and hate you. You used to be a city on the rise but now due to your problems with religion at Christmas and now this destroying something that was success ful, YOU do not deserve my business. I think that everyone that loves the Dublin Dr. Pepper should boycott every business and event in your city and if enough of them do it, you might reinstate Dublin Dr. Pepper. Own the rights but leave our Dublin Dr. Pepper as it is.

1. Nick says:

uhhhhh, tim — you do know dublin’s sugar cane came from china, right?

1. Steve Holland says:

The sugar is from Louisiana.

Whats next? Your talking points are out of date.

2. Nick says:

oh darn — you caught me, mr. steve holland! i admit it — i work for corporate dr. pepper and you were right. we just couldn’t stand seeing dublin do well. the fact that they broke their agreement had nothing to do with it.

3. Tim Elmore says:

No I did not know that the sugar came from China. I just know that everytime I visited my parents or sister that I would stop in and buy cases of the product. I will sure miss doing it.

4. Nick says:

tim — try ebay

2. Shelby says:

Do not blame the City of Plano. I live in Plano and am just as upset as you are. Blame those responsible – Dr. Pepper Snapple

9. Steve Holland says:

I really didn’t think that corporate Dr. Pepper could mess this up anymore than they have. I was wrong. Their recent statement drove me to a local 7-Eleven to buy a Coke.

Do you not get it… people want the label to say Dublin Dr. Pepper!

Maybe we should say, Apple made by Microsoft, or maybe Chevy made by Cherry (The Chinese auto company).

It’s NOT your brand. It’s the consumer’s. Don’t believe me, look around!

1. Nick says:

hey steve, go get yourself a whataburger and a downhome sweet tea and relax…

1. Steve Holland says:

classic response: personal attacks to deflect from the issue

2. Nick says:

there’s nothing to seriously reply to when you say things like “it’s not your brand. it’s the consumer’s”. wow. i mean, it’s obvious you’ve never created or developed a product, or you would never say something so inane.

3. Steve Holland says:

Try again Nick. History will disagree with you.

The fact is, GM may legally own its brand names, but the company doesn’t own the Chevrolet or Chevy names in the popular imagination. Not here, not overseas. The brand’s customers and fans do.

4. Nick says:

popular imagination, huh? that’s great steve — so do this for me then — use your IMAGINATION when you buy a temple, tx bottled, sugar cane flavored dr. pepper and IMAGINE it says dublin on it when you take a drink. it will taste exactly the same and the good folks of temple will thank you kindly for your support.

2. David says:

Actually, I don’t care if Dublin is on the label or not because it was not on there until recently – maybe the last few years. I actually preferred it without because you had to be “in the know” that the Imperial Pure Cane Sugar label is what gave it away that it was Dublin DP.

1. Erin says:

Well, I’ve seen other Dr Pepper products in the stores in the past few years that have imperial cane sugar labeled on it, but it wasn’t Dublin. Maybe the Dublin label was put to distinguish?

These products, btw, are in cans or plastic bottles.

10. Sherry says:

Your corporate greed will come back to bite you!

1. Nick says:

said the person who’s never run a successful business…

1. DDT says:

11. Steve Holland says:

“Do I blow things out of proportion much” you ask? It really depends. There is thing called “History” and “Culture”. It’s why some folks in Texas love the Cowboys – even when they lose. For some people like me, Dublin Dr. Pepper is part of my Texas experience. It’s gone now.

There is another reason as well. It pains me to see good companies really fowl things up and become, well, bad.

12. Nick says:

leave the cowgirls out of this…

1. Steve Holland says:

Your a troll. Nothing more.

1. Nick says:

i would appreciate you not spewing personal attacks just because i disagree with you. thanks…

oh, and it’s “you’re”, not “your”. stay in school, sonny…

2. Tim Elmore says:

I am a troll? I am a well educated person and just because YOU do not agree with me is no reason to attack me. I stated my opinion and my opinion only. You must live in Plano?

3. Tim Elmore says:

I said nothing about cowgirls so get the right person before you begin any attacks on me.

4. Grow Up You Insecure Metrosexuals says:

Wiener measuring contest, anyone? Think any of them will even be over 3 inches?

13. Nick says:

tim — you may want to consider re-evaluating the way you currently determine which comments are directed at you. i would suggest in the future only replying to comments that begin with “tim”. just a thought…

14. Brad says:

Never get in the way of Texas pride.

what happens if i do?

15. Brad says:

Sorry to say this is not about you Nick so get over yourself. It’s about the bad PR Dr. Pepper Snapple has generated.

1. Nick says:

so you’re saying texas is proud that dublin reneged on thier agreement? all hail the mighty state, blah blah blah…

16. Idiocracy says:

What a sad commentary on today’s American society when this is the most commented on story for today. No wonder we keep voting for the same types of idiots. No wonder the high school dropout rate is what it is. You people are the reason for the fraying of the American social fabric. It’s a SODA, you corpulent ignoramuses! Readjust your priorities!

1. President Camacho says:

No kidding. The first commentator on this story actually took the time to email the company and share the email with us. Can you imagine if these losers would actually take that kind of time and use that kind of energy for real change in America? Most of them DO NOT, considering the level of apathy that is seen at the polling locations on Election Day, so I don’t want to hear a bunch of idiots saying, “How do you know they don’t?” I KNOW. THEY DON’T.

By the way, great reference to a prophetic film like Idiocracy.

1. YourBoss says:

Weak….very weak. My job here is done.

2. REALLY?! says:

What job? Your “job” here never started. Now you’re moving on to Camacho’s statement because you lost the battle with the old grump? You really are a pathetic clown. Go away before you embarrass yourself even more.

2. YourBoss says:

Why are you here? Get back to work!

1. Idiocracy says:

I’m RETIRED, you imbecile. Some of us have worked hard enough to enjoy that, and others work for themselves, you ASSumptive cretin.

2. Idiocracy says:

I’m retired, you imbecile. Some of us are retired and others work for ourselves, you assumptive twit.

3. Idiocracy says:

GOOD LORD! What’s with the delay?! I thought I was having certain words filtered. Get a new server and/or comment board service, CBS!

4. YourBoss says:

So you’re a bitter old man. Get a life grouchy and show some respect for the town of Dublin and some good ‘ol Texas history.

5. Idiocracy says:

See the comment by Atheist Lawyer below and get a clue, genius. By the way, my net worth is more than you could make in five lifetimes, so no, I am NOT at all bitter. In fact, I’m DRUNK from all the Macallan right now, AND I get to sleep through my hangover tomorrow!

6. No Blends says:

I applaud your taste in single malt Scotch Whiskey, sir.

7. YourBoss says:

I almost choked on my Dublin Dr. Pepper when I read your presumptuous reply. Why are you still here? Re-read your original comment. Shouldn’t you be trolling on political forums? Nothing to see here Grumpy. Perhaps you should watch your favorite movie again and take notes.

8. You have to pick on old people? Really? That's pathetic.. says:

You choked on a soft drink rather than your gay lover’s c*ck? That’s a new one.

9. President Camacho says:

Nice shot! LOL! By the way YourBoss, exactly why are YOU still here? Hmmm?

3. David says:

What a sad commentary on today’s American society that someone feels the need to inject politics into a discussion about sugar water. This comment is from a fellow retiree.

1. Hitler Lover says:

David, with all due respect, I think his comment, and Camacho’s, was more about apathy in today’s society, rather than politics specifically.

4. TXNative says:

Idiocracy, I think you’re missing part of the point…for many of us it’s less about the soda itself and more about the fact that a long-standing piece of Texas history is getting thrown by the wayside over something as petty as a contract dispute. DP corporate should have found a way to work with and/or re-negotiate terms with the Dublin plant in order to preserve it’s status as the original. It’s something that generations of Texans have grown up with and now it’s gone. I think most of us wouldn’t have even minded if they had simply bought the Dublin plant out and left it intact to do business the way it was. They could have marketed the Dublin DP nationwide as a boutique product and made a killing without all this uproar. Of course, if you feel that an educated, community-minded MBA who sees value in preserving elements of our roots needs to readjust her priorities then that’s your business. Personally I think it’s the disregard for history and the values of simpler times that is the cause of the fraying of the American social fabric. But hey, we’re all corpulent ignoramuses to you who are too focused on soda to grasp what’s really important…

1. Capitalist Pig says:

Who’s to say a mediator wasn’t brought in? Protecting a market share isn’t a “petty” contract dispute. I’m all for preserving history, but not at the cost of a business losing revenue, no matter how large or small that business is. Most of you people are bringing emotion into this, which is noble, but it has no place in business. Business and law is a world of rules and facts, not emotion, and for good reason.

2. Nick says:

i never thought i would say this, but — i agree with the capitalist pig!

3. TXNative says:

Capitalist Pig, I’m sure that mediation was probably involved in the process. What I’m trying to say is that I’m sure that if both parties really wanted to they could have come up with a solution that not only avoided lost revenue but increased it for both parties and left this piece of history intact. What they ended up with is a consumer backlash instead, which often does result in lost revenue, probably for both parties. (Then again, there are those who believe that any PR is good PR.) As for your statement that emotion has no place in business, emotion is one of the major driving forces of business and should not be ignored. All businesses ultimately depend upon sales of products or services to generate revenue, and purchasing behaviors are driven more by emotion than logic. That’s why businesses invest so much time and money and effort into the psychology involved with picking the perfect name, logo, colors, even the feel of the packaging, and of course the marketing campaigns to create the desired emotional response in their target customers that will entice them to buy. Even the stock market is affected by emotional responses. And there are a lot of things that are more important than revenue. The fact that we, as a people, have a tendency to lose sight of that is one of the problems in our country, and played a major role in making our economy the mess that it is. I’m a big fan of capitalism, but capitalism-at-any-cost is short-sighted and stupid.

4. Nick says:

right — and i’m sure if one party in particular would have agreed to take dublin off of the dr. pepper logo, they would still be bottling it…

17. Lakewooder says:

First they betray their hometown of Dallas by moving to pre-fab Plano and letting their Art Moderne masterpiece headquarters fall to the wrecking ball then they make their products pre-fab. I am done with DP!

18. DDT says:

Two If By Tea is a much better product than that swill Snapple produces anyway.

1. Nick says:

snapple actually used to make a great clear root beer years ago when rush was advertising for snapple. snapple used to make a lot of great flavors, but they really pared down their product line…

1. Two If By Tea says:

Mint Iced Tea – best flavor ever, but now extinct. RIP.

2. Nick says:

mmmmm-mint. sounds good — might have to try making my own!

19. Morris O'Rear says:

Steve, for 120 years Dr Pepper was fine with the agreement they had with Dublin DP until Dublin DP broke the agreement. The general “greediness” that is attributed to the big corporations is exactly what got Dublin DP into trouble. As their product became more well known they began to sell out of their territory and that popped up on DP’s radar. Dublin should have been more pro-active and sought to change the terms of the agreement instead of trying to cheat the system. Trust me, I will miss their product. I am one of the companies they sold to outside of their territory. But every company, big and greedy or small and loved, has the right to protect agreements entered into with other affiliates.

By the way – it is Chery not Cherry

1. Nick says:

ah, another voice of reason. dublin only has themselves to blame. i thought true texans stood by their word…

20. Rick Bowen says:

“Our main focus has always been on protecting the strength and integrity of the Dr Pepper trademark,” said Rodger Collins, president of Dr Pepper Snapple packaged beverages”
    You should have thought about the INTEGRITY of the Dr Pepper trademark when you switched from Dr. Pepper’s pure cane sugar roots & started using high fructose corn syrup back in ’82. You didn’t care about Dr. Pepper’s integrity then, did you? Bad PR move? Uh, yeah. Dr. Pepper – “The New Coke of 2012”.
    I will never buy a Dr. Pepper/Snapple product ever again.

1. Nick says:

THIS JUST IN — based on a mr. rick bowen’s recent comment on a local cbs news website, dr. pepper/snapple has agreed to let dublin bottling works return to producing dublin dr. pepper.

the dr. pepper/snapple ceo was quoted as saying, “yah, we thought we could win the pr war, but when that rick bowen guy said he would never buy one of our products again… it was all over. we had to cave to their demands…”

1. Dr. Pooper says:

LOL. Nice.

21. Atheist Lawyer says:

Well said. Finally, someone who understands BUSINESS and LEGAL RIGHTS, especially in the area of conflict of interest, etc.!

1. Atheist Lawyer says:

That should have gone under Morris’ comment.

22. sweetxnightmare says:

Dr Pepper is now welcome to get the f*** out of my home state. I’ve been drinking Dr Pepper since before I can remember, but no more. Guess I’ll have to go with Coke and Pepsi… Can’t believe I just said that, I hate Coke and Pepsi and still prefer them to Dr Pepper now.

I will always remember Dublin Dr Pepper. Sad day to know that, when I have children, I’ll never be able to involve them in that tradition.

1. Capitalist Pig says:

They shouldn’t have violated terms regarding sales territories and such. No, I’m not talking about big corporate greed. I’m talking about the greed of a local bottler that wanted a bigger slice of pie. Nobody is paying attention to that part of the story, which is supported by all sorts of legal issues on the side of Dr. Pepper / Snapple.

2. Nick says:

no, it’s a sad day when texans care more about nostalgia then holding men to their word…

23. Colby Bauer says:

Isn’t Big Red owned by Dr. Pepper? Sorry. I can’t give up my Big Red. I’ve been drinking that since 1977, when I was 7 years old visiting my grandparents in Kerrville. I can’t end that sweet addiction.

1. Bev Guy says:

Dr. Pepper and Pepsi are two of its largest distributors. Kind of like how Sam Adams or Dogfish Head beers are handled through Andrews, Ben E. Keith, etc. Big Red is based in Austin and is not owned by Dr. Pepper. All is OK! Drink up without any guilt!

2. Nick says:

but it can’t be that good if it’s not sweetened by cane sugar, right? ……..right???

24. David Bryant says:

Dublin Dr Pepper was DPSG’s “Diamond in the Rough” and now it’s gone. Just listen to what Larry Young, CEO of Dr Pepper/Snapple Group said about Dublin Dr Pepper a little over 2 years ago during an interview on PBS. It starts at 25:15, but in case you miss it, in part he says “..an 8 oz. glass bottle. There’s nothing tastes better than a Dublin Dr Pepper when it’s ice cold”!! Check it out…

1. Nick says:

it’s not gone — it will still have cane sugar. it just won’t say “dublin” on the bottle anymore. suck it up, texans…

1. Erin says:

You have missed the point entirely. This is more about the town of Dublin. Ever been there? Didn’t think so.

This is a very small town, which relied heavily on their bottling plant — BECAUSE of their famous Dr Pepper. People came to visit for tours. This is their livelihood. 70k in visitors a year is nothing to sniff at. And now? They have nothing. The residents of Dublin are hurt, angry and are now wondering what their town has to offer. Yes, they will bottle other drinks, but come on. No one goes to Dublin for anything but Dr Pepper.

I will not be drinking any Dr Pepper products again — and there are a slew of them that I am sad to say they have a hand in. No more Stewart’s or Orangina … or the worst — IBC root beer — for me.

25. Nick says:

actually erin, if you’re so concerned about the town of dublin, you should realize their bottling company didn’t do the town any favors by breaking their agreement. you said it — no one goes to dublin for anything but dr. pepper, so by selling it outside the agreed zone, people had less of a reason to visit dublin. sounds like they dropped out of marketing 101…

1. Erin says:

Actually, Dublin and Dr Pepper had a fine relationship for a long time — it wasn’t until Dr Pepper started selling its own throwback version (which looks much like the old Dublin ones … ) that there became an issue.

1. Nick says:

don’t worry, i’m sure texas will survive without dublin dr. pepper. move down there if you want to prove your loyalty. what? not interested? i thought not…

2. Erin says:

Why are you even here, Nick? Are you a fan of making yourself look the fool? Well, congratulations.

I find it funny that you assume I do not live in Dublin right now. 🙂

I also love how you didn’t even address what I said. Awesome job.

3. Nick says:

erin, why are YOU here — not that it REALLY matters, but yes, i assumed you didn’t live in dublin because YOU referred to the people of dublin as “they” and not “we”. but whatever. you can pretend to be from there — i don’t care.

so anyway, okay, i’ll address what you originally said — you don’t think dr. pepper has the right to sell it’s own “throwback” version as you call it, of dr. pepper. it’s their company, lady. they can develop and test market whatever flavors they like. dublin bottling works, however, is bound by their distribution agreements and they’re supposed to observe trademark law and not mess with the dr. pepper logo.

apparently, you support the side that became so arrogant and greedy they thought they could bite the hand that feeds them. well, look what happens when you ignore signed agreements. they got what they deserved. enjoy your future ghost town…

26. Erin says:

Posting is not working.

1. Erin says:

Now it does.

27. Erin says:

Reading comprehension is key here, as yours is terrible! Did I ever say that Dr P cannot have their own throwback? Of course I didn’t because that would be absurd to say. I brought it up because it is evident to people that do research that Dr P was FINE with Dublin … for longer than you and I have been alive! Out of the blue, comes this claim that they broke their agreement. Dublin lawyers see the correlation between Dr P throwback (which looks like Dublin! — hahah..) and their suit against Dublin.

As for greedy … Dublin accounts for LESS THAN ONE PERCENT of Dr P’s annual income. Now, say again .. who is greedy?

1. Nick says:

oh look, it’s erin, the dublin resident pretender again!

sigh — as i said in another post, you should realize before the 1980s most all soft drinks still contained sugar, so before that time, dublin’s dr. peppers were nothing special. for decades and decades, ALL soft drinks used cane sugar.

so of course they were “fine” with dublin — back then dublin wasn’t trying to create a separate brand from dr. pepper. THAT is what started the lawsuit. if dublin had just agreed to take their name off the front of the bottle, i bet everything would have worked out fine. obviously you do not own a business or understand the importance of protecting a brand name.

anything else you’d like to whine about?

1. Erin says:

Uh. They’ve been FINE with it until 2011. RESEARCH!

I am done here. I have said my piece. I know I am right so there’s nothing left to say. Off I go.

2. Nick says:

and tell your doctor he may need to step you down on the meds a bit, mmm kay?

3. Elise Stockwell says:

They weren/t trying to create a different brand, just add a twist to the one that was there already

4. Diskjockey Spinny says:

Are they paying you to do damage control from florida? Sorry bud it aint workin

5. Rick says:

“sigh — as i said in another post, you should realize before the 1980s most all soft drinks still contained sugar”

Want to grow up? That was over 30 years ago. The fact that Dublin DP DIDN’T switch is what makes them special.

“trying to create a separate brand from dr. pepper”

Reading comprehension problem? Where do you get “trying to create a separate brand” from? It was STILL Dr. Pepper. More so than the fake, high fructose junk that corporate is trying to peddle.

“obviously you do not own a business or understand the importance of protecting a brand name.”

Obviously you don’t either or you’d realize a PR bonanza when it bit you on the backside.

Don’t try to pee down my leg & convince me it’s raining. That dog don’t hunt.

Dr. Pepper Corporate – The “New Coke” decision of 2012. LOL.

6. Nick says:

you’re funny, rick — comparing this decison to new coke is laughable. nobody outside of texas knows or cares about this. changing coke to new coke was a nationwide change, doofus.

28. soulsabr says:

Wow, lots of trolls on this board. We miss you already, Dublin DP.

29. ForeWarned says:

History, if it was not for the Alamo your can would be sitting in Mexico right now since it was that one battle that gave this state time to unite along with a will to fight hard to win it. This plant was the oldest Texas DP bottling company, so priorities are right in being upset that it has been crushed by it’s parent company. The end of anything historic is a sad occasion and one that only good caring people will address even when there are other VIP issues happening. Standing up for what is right is never a wrong thing to do no matter how minor or major the problem is. This world would not have any problems if from the very beginning all small so-called minor problems where addressed because your major problems all started out minor to begin with. You blind sheep had better open your eyes instead of just going with the flow or buying into the fact corporations have your best interest at heart. If they did there would not be one case of food poisoning in this Nation and quite a few less cases of flu, etc.
    I knew when this case came up the only hope they had of being able to survive is via legal precedence (i.e. the length of time they had violated by using Dublin in the name or selling outside their territory without the parent company immediately putting a stop to it). If you are under contract and it is common knowledge one side is in violation of that contract which you have allowed them to do for years on end it would seem pretty weak to say 10 years down the road in a court they should be bound to a contract you willingly let them break for so long.
    As for sugar cane products made by the parent company still being available via all those willing to read all the fine print on top of researching where that sugar is purchased from good luck. When DDP was seen on the label all that information was already known without any research or reading fine print. How many people read the labels of every product they buy, only those with health problems that prevent them from being able to use such products. My body immediately tells me when I buy a regular drink that ends up being a diet drink straight from the manufacturer.
    Having grown up in the military I loved my first taste of DP when I visited my Grandmother (back then it was only sold in Texas) and given her location it was all probably made in Dublin. I miss my Grandmother and all my direct family members who are now in the past and history, and thanks to this DP will be a part of history for me also to miss. You can win a battle, you can win a court case yet it is the hearts of the people that hold the fact if you really won a victory or not. The customer is not always right, but they are your bread and butter and driving force of profit. And remember the Alamo because some people have long memories, so your dip in sells will not be short term.
    Yes the post is very early, why because I’ve been up fixing other problems you people have condoned as being acceptable in practice. Good luck with the messed up world you are creating with both minor and major issues.

1. Nick says:

next time try breaking up your thesis with paragraphs if you’d like people to read past the first line. thanks.

30. Thomas Barnes says:

I have been buying cases of Dublin DP for about 30 years – long before they branded it Dublin Dr. Pepper. If my memory serves me correctly, the bottler started crowning the original bottles with their red/white Dublin DP crown in 1991 (the Dublin bottler centennial). So why did DPS take 20 years to file suit? And why now when glass bottled sugar sodas are making a comeback? Can’t compete DPS? Protecting the brand my ass! Embrace it! Support the boycott! Remember Dublin! Deguello!

embrace WHAT?!?

1. Thomas Barnes says:

I read all your post and I can honestly say you are an a**hole!
        I hope something you care about dies!
        Respond how ever you want. I will not be a part of your dreary world.

2. Nick says:

gee, i simply disagree with people like you on this issue and this is how you reply?

wow, gimme some more of that texas down home hospitality, please!

31. Michael Murray says:

I personally drink more than $1200 in Dr. Pepper every year. My consumption of Corporate Dr. Pepper was not diminished by Dublin. Dublin was a treat, I’d buy 5 cases every time I went through. I gave a case or two to my preacher’s wife, and I ‘d drink maybe 1 a day. It was a special thing.

I’m boycotting Dr. Pepper now. They will loose at least $48K over my lifetime. Way to go!

1. Nick says:

$1200 worth of dr. pepper every year?!?

well, on the upside, at least maybe now your liver will have a fighting chance…

1. Nick says:

yah — come join the sad sack, whiney, sore losers club!!!

32. nj olson says:

people who think the Imperial sugar kind made in Temple and the DUBLIN sugared DP are the same haven’t had both of them. The TASTE in the old bottles was DIFFERENT. Stop drinking the DP koolaid these corporate clueless types are trying to pass out, seriously. Note the word “virtually” in their statement, that “virtually all the Dublin product was really made in Temple” Not ALL, but “virtually all”. Meaning, there was some bottled IN DUBLIN that a lot of people found noticeably different and tastier! Ignore the company shills, that’s what their job is, to mislead and shut everyone the hell UP. Don’t let them.

1. Nick says:

ah, i get it — so now sugar cane dr. pepper in one bottle is different from sugar cane dr. pepper in a different bottle. right. so you’re implying now that dublin had a different dr. pepper formula than any other dr. pepper bottler?

what are we trying to start urban legends now? lame…

1. Lanita Fambro says:

Soft drinks taste different from bottler to bottler, and from country to country. If you ever left your the basement of your parents’ house, you’d know that. Dublin had a particular formula that made it special.

2. Nick says:

hmmm, just sounds like bad quality control to me…

3. Lanita Fambro says:

I guess we have to spell it out for the ignorant among us: Bottlers use water. Water taste is inconsistent, depending on mineral type and content and a number of other factors. Therefore, ANY soft drink will usually taste different due to water differences. It is especially noticeable in other countries. I invite you to broaden your horizons and find out these facts for yourself. Not all knowledge is gained from the Google.

4. Lanita Fambro says:

from 2 years ago, move the video to 25:21 through 25:49 ….”there’s nothing like an ice-cold 8 oz Dublin Dr Pepper” Larry Young, CEO

but thank you for playing, Nick, Next?

5. Nick says:

well of course water is different in different locales, lanita. sorry if you couldn’t tell i was being facetious.

but i must say i’m mighty impressed that the average dublin drinker has such a well developed and sensitive palate that they can actually distinguish such minute differences in their favorite sodey pops…. although i guess such an extraordinary talent will go to waste now. ah well…

6. Lanita Fambro says:

“facetious” ? Bullying, troll-like and Dublin-ignorant. But that’s okay. The world is made up of Texans, and then the other people.

“That’s right, you’re not from Texas; Texas wants you anyway…” –Lyle Lovett

7. Nick says:

ooohhh, here it comes. the ever popular “texans are superior” angle. gosh, i’m so intimidated… yes, lanita — i am just sooo upset i was not born in texas. it haunts me every day. being born in the 2nd largest state is such a claim to fame i wish i could list on my resume, but alas, it was not to be.

oh, and by the way lanita — you are correct that soft drinks have a different taste in foreign countries that is “especially noticeable”, but it’s more likely because they are formulated with an entirely different mix of ingredients to meet regional tastes. try taking the coca-cola museum tour where you may sample dozens of different forms of coke available around the world.

8. Lanita Fambro says:

No one said Texans felt superior. You inferred that, Nick.

What was said was…there are Texans….and then they are the rest of people.

And what also was said was that “Texas wants you anyway” (lyric from a song, meaning we are uniquely friendly and accepting of all kinds –even detractors.)

9. Lanita Fambro says:

Some of us actually drink soft drinks in other countries in our travels and studies as we explore the ACTUAL world, instead of going to soft-drink museums or Epcot to “sample” soft drinks (my, how extensive, your experience!)

Go travel and experience the world, hon — you’ll expand your mind and opinions.

10. Nick says:

oh, well gee lanita, i’m glad you cleared that up for us that texans are not superior — they just think of non-texans as “everyone else”. wow. do you work for the texas tourism board or something? that’s gold right there, baby…

as for the “different taste of soft drinks from country to country” issue, i just mentioned the museum samples because you apparently are ignorant of the fact that different formulas exist, yourself implying that the taste differences were due to the makeup of the water. yah, that’s it.

and anyway, i’m not the one who needs to get out and travel the world and expand my horizons. i’m the one who DOESN’T think the hometown dublin drink is the best drink ever, or who is crying to dr. pepper corporate to bring it back, remember? nice try, though…

11. Lanita Fambro says:

You spend a lot of time whining, for someone who has such disdain for the product and the issue. Perhaps your energies are better spent in a forum about something YOU care about.

Getting off on being an idiot is a curious fetish. We, on the other hand, have a legitimate reason snd right to complain and discuss a beloved product. Your inability to comprehend, due to your limited experience ( and your failure to have sampled Dublin) is your problem.

But you’ll be back in your junior high classroom at your desk tomorrow, and the brighter bulbs on the tree of humanity will be sparking here instead of your dim bulb trying to show a flicker.

12. Nick says:

excuse me, i have just as much a right to voice my support of dr. pepper’s decision, as you do to support your “beloved” extinct beverage. sorry i don’t march in lock step with your fellow texans. maybe you should get out and travel and explore more diverse opinions a little.

and what have i whined about? nothing. you dublinites are the only whiners here. i’ve answered you point for point and it seems now that you realize you have no argument, you go back to namecalling. tell me again how i need to get out of my mom’s basement — yah that was hillarious…

oh, and for about the third time, i’ve tasted your dearly departed dublin drink. that’s exactly the reason i have posted — because i know it’s no big deal. you locals just can’t accept the fact that your bottling company made a huge mistake and it’s just easier to blame the corporate company. truly lame…

33. Thomas Barnes says:

Driving into to Dublin on Hwy. 6, people wave “Hello” as you pass them by!
    C’mon DPS…
    Be Distinctively Different!
    Take a Friendly Pepper Upper…
    Now realize what you’ve done, do the civilized thing….give Dublin back their heart and soul!

34. Nick says:

sorry, i just can’t muster much sympathy for the town of dublin. you know that saying, “don’t put all your eggs in one basket”?

1. Lanita Fambro says:

do you know the saying “trolls troll because they can’t get anybody to have sex with them?”

35. Nick says:

hmm… no, ms. fambro, i’ve actually never heard that…

…but enough about you, what do you think the town of dublin should do, now that the big bad corporation has caused 14 people to lose their jobs?

36. ForeWarned says:

Wow, the only comeback you could muster was breaking up paragraphs to a thesis Nick?
    Well dear child it was written in paragraphs that where not broken up with a blank line between them and to deduct it as a thesis you must have read past the first line which shows you are not a honest person, yet is was no thesis.
    I am highly honored that you did not waste your time reading it since your only mission in life is to be a pain in the rear end. Your words where read by me in several of your replys and once you’ve made your point there is no point in repeating yourself just to put others who care down.

You do remind me of someone who has recently become history-Daffy of Libya, who like you put others down trying to make his points. We all have rights to our opinions, yet once expressed your just blowing hot air and wasting your time. Crude remarks won’t make points with anyone. Whatever your problem is I hope you overcome it since that would make a better world for all of us.

As for 14 jobs being lost in the city it is not as big of a deal since there are plenty of other jobs that most can get, but in this area there are not that many jobs my dear. Dublin did give a lot of honor to it’s DP plant history, yet without any regrets tore down a school house that also had a lot of history to it since they wanted new and better, well now hopefully they can have that with their new bottling company which will probably bring in less visitors as a historic DP place. Thus it has and will affect more than 14 people since there will be no more big birthday bashes for the oldest DP bottling plant in Texas to bring in money to all the other local business retailers. At a time they need to spend big bucks on replacing old sewer lines. Their problems are real, yours well lets just hope your a flake & fake and not really that pittiful of a person.

1. Nick says:

wow, somebody needs a sense of humor — STAT!

37. ForeWarned says:

Dear Nick, guess your just a real commodian, type people like to flush daily.
    Take lessons if you are seriously thinking you are funny.
    I’ve seen the smile on the mug shots of killers who thought they where funny too, guess your humor rates with theirs. You’ll always find someone who will laugh with you as they do, but puts you in bed with some real sick people.
    Hope you don’t pass the PONR.

38. Nick says:

i see — you spend your time analyzing mug shot photos and I’M the guy with problems? oooo kay…

so anyway, what happened to that pr firestorm that people on here kept saying was supposed to erupt over all this? the silence is deafening…

39. Adam says:

This wasn’t Dublin Dr Pepper in the wrong. Corporate gave Dublin their blessing for decades using the Dublin noted labels and even the corporate webslte linked to dublin…. that’s precedent… period. There is no court that would have yanked Dublins contract based on that very precedent.

They were not actively marketing outside of their territory. I dont recall ever seeing an advertisement for Dublin Dr Pepper on the net …or most any of the cities I’ve worked across Texas … or any other state for that matter.

What really happened here … people started seeking out CANE SUGAR soda… and if is unavailable in their market … they simply went to a market that had it. One could call Dublin and have it shipped … which was easiest …or one could call any grocery store in their territory and have it shipped… who cares.

With people willing to buy, ship, and consume with their own money … Dublin would have been fools not to participate in lets say … capitalism? I mean really… where would they refer people that wanted Imperial Sugar DP? Just curious.

The wise thing would have been to grasp the perceived premium brand and license IT out to the other bottlers… not to hit some tiny town in Texas with meaningless litigation over a few peanuts.

1. Adam says:

I will add … will the Temple Bottler send me imperial cane sugar DP? Ill check tomorrow …but I bet not. And being Cane Sugar DP is not available anywhere in the Midwest … I guess that means I will buy ZERO Dr Pepper.

Logic would tell me someone buying Dr Pepper (in whatever form) is better than someone NOT buying it.

40. Nick says:

apparently, other bottlers were complaining to corporate that dublin was getting preferential treatment, so that may have been a part of their decision. but the point is dr. pepper can do what they like, so long as nothing illegal occurs, and it seems there was no illegal component here. we just have a bunch of whiners who can’t get over the loss of a name, evan as the identical product is still available to them for purchase.

Comments are closed.