Fort Worth Considering Changes To City Noise Ordinance

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Fort Worth officials are gearing up to rewrite the city’s noise ordinance to make it more specific and ease enforcement.

During a public meeting at the Botanic Garden Center Monday night, Fort Worth’s deputy director of planning and development Dana Burghdoff said the changes include the use of a decibel meter.

“If you’ve got a resident complaining then we would measure the noise from their property line and we would use the residential level at their property line,” Burghdoff said.

As it stands, some of the biggest problems include, “Bars and restaurants, where there’s loud music or loud patrons and there are complaints from neighbors, and then the second one is animal noise – dogs and roosters to be specific,” Burghdoff added.

The plan is to rewrite a noise ordinance that some call vague and subjective. Current language includes offenses of “unreasonably loud noise.” The change would define specific noise levels that can be measured with a decibel meter.

Some businesses in the area say their biggest draw is having an outside patio and live music. They worry the new ordiance coudl get in the way.

“We get our occasional noise complaint,” said Clay Mazur, the owner of Capital Bar in the city’s Cultural District. “We are an outdoor music venue so our music carries.”

Mazur says they’re even about to make some changes.

“We are trying to build the walls round the stage area to get them 18 feet high with covered decks to keep our noise contained as much as possible,” says Mazur.

It’s all in an effort to keep the noise under control. In spots like West 8th Street, condos and apartments are being built near the bars and restaurants.

“Our building has a quiet policy from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. They try to keep it quiet,” says Christina Brock who lives downtown.

Proposed changes to the ordinance could also include a time limit of 10 minutes on how long your neighbor’s dog can bark before your neighbor is issued a citation.

The Fort Worth City Council could decide on this as early as March.

Also Check Out:

1. Common Sense says:

I wonder if this includes cars driving down public streets with loud music to be included in this?

1. Jeff says:

Doubt it but they should!

1. Marshmount Montgomery says:

“The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury.” ~ George Washington

2. Robert says:

How about the stupid exhausts you can hear better than a full mile away? I had one of those in and out of here more often than I could count, this evening. (Not a mile away, but 70 yards. And they have to leave it in first gear, too.) May I add: I need to get up at 5am. Some of these will rattle the house at 93dB (measured) with the windows closed.

1. ella funt says:

Why don’ you move to a better location –like an airport or next to train tracks??

3. Rob Barker says:

GOOD! because I have a neighbor who seems to not hear his own dog barking and barking and barking! It gets annoying! I actually stuck my head out the window and chimed in with the dog, making the most ugly sounding, moaning bark. THAT annoyed him and he finally took the dog indoors. And YES loud hop hop music blaring from cars should be included! It’s about time people started acting civilized, rather than barbarians with no consideration for others.

1. Andrew James says:

haha, you know if they include the jungle beats they will scream racism and call in al sharpton and jesse jackson saying how the jungle beats and public stereos in their cars are part of their heritage and ticketing that is like ticketing them for being black.

2. President Not Sure says:

I have a friend that works second shift and usually sleeps during the day.. One of his neighbors dog though will sometimes bark for hours at a time because they would leave him outside when they went to work.. My friend says that when its really bad he will then go over to the neighbors house after he gets home after work, around 3am and knock on their door and ring the bell until they answer.. Then he explains how he couldnt sleep at all earlier because of their dog.. He said it was so bad one day he ended up going back again at like 4:30am to wake them up a second time.. It only took 3 times of him waking them up in the middle of the night before they finally stopped leaving the dog outside all day..

3. DAvid says:

@ Bob BARKER…..Your friend working at night is his choice. No noise ordinances during the day sorry. Most people who sleep during the day go to proper lengths to ensure tehy can sleep..Ear plugs ..ECT…

4. Reality Check says:

The day sleeper found a way to solve the problem without passing a new law.

No need to sorry for him, the person who lectured him need some serious mental illness assistance though…

5. t from NJ says:

these same people who complain about dogs barking are these fancy lawn people who have these landscapers with the battalions of leaf blowers with their 600HP lawnmower accompanyment at all hours, and with close properties like my state, NJ, this is the biggest problem!!

4. Scudbuster says:

Or loud motorcycles, the ones with the baffles removed that shouldn’t be.

5. Justin Naugle says:

No there is some necessity to this/ I myself was confronted with this problem. When I did IT I worked from home. My Neighbors dogs would bark 45 minutes out of every hour at their gate which was 5 feet from my office window. I have dogs too but mine are trained not to bark at everything in the world.

1. William says:

Justin, I couldn’t sympathize with you more. People who allow their canines to bark incessantly are a menace to the peace. This proposed ordinance doesn’t go far enough, half the time and twice the fine would not be strict enough.

6. Tim Lucas says:

Where’s PETA when you need them?

7. stopthe says:

If the 10 minute rule applies, then if the car is in a different place every 10 minutes, the code wouldn’t apply.

“Nuisance laws” are band-aids anyway. Too bad our lawmakers (and most voters, too) are merely “practical” and lack the ability to think. If they could think, they could discover what the real problems are and start to address those, instead of writing moronic and unenforceable laws like this to address symptoms.

1. Reality Check says:

Exactly, if Obama would only borrow 5 Trillion a year from the Chinese, rather than just 1.5 Trillion a year, we could begin investing in the fixes to the real causes of these problems.

Someone smart like Obama would be able to figure out what the real problems are so we do not have to worry about them …

8. Reality Check says:

That is the number one thing we need in this country.

Laws that make it easier for governments to fine and collect money from people easily whenever they needs some money.

Police can be a great revenue generator for cash strapped cities.

2. dave says:

stupid – there are far more important things to go after than barking dogs. What’s next, shoot birds that chirp too long or raccoons that constantly chatter outside your window? I can only imagine how many reports to 911 will come in if this becomes law and you’ll have cops occupied with people complaining about their dog when people rob banks or assault others cause the cops are preoccupied

1. Ty Harris says:

actually dave, it isnt stupid. wild birds and racoons are not the same as your neighbor’s barking dogs and you know it. I recently had to move to a different apartment because I was surrounded on 4 sides by owners of loud yapping poodle-type dogs that would literally bark for hours on end at all hours of the day and night. I was sleep deprived and there was never a moment’s peace in the home that I worked so hard to pay the rent for. People should not be allowed to create public nuisances and ruin their neighbor’s sleep and their lives. Same goes for the A-holes who play their bass so loud that I have to hear it in my house with the windows shut and the AC on or in my car with the windows rolled up. Why should I be forced to come home from a hard day’s work and listen to your noise inside my home? I think it’s a fantastic law and long overdue.

1. Debbie says:

I had to move because children were yelling and screaming all day on the trampoline and then played their rediculous rap at night.

If I am fined for my dog barking (she’s an inside dog and barks twice shen she wants to come in after I let her out), then I want the noise levels of kids tracked and they should be fined, as well.

2. 1972Patriot says:

This law is one of those slippery slopes… the next law may allow your neighbor to file a complaint when you use your hairdryer for longer than 3 minutes. There is a common sense solution to your complaint, lease in a community that does not cater to pets.

3. bob says:

don’t live in an Apartment or near a bar if you don’t like noise. it’s the city if you’re that upset about noise you have to move as far out into the country as you please. this is America grow up and move on

4. Dianne says:

Our town has had the dog barking ordinance for years. It has made our neighborhood quite liveable. People being aware of the dog ordinance get the idea that kids, car engine repairs, fireworks, loud music, etc. are just as annoying and tone them down appropriately. Not only that, but a person who allows their pet to be in distress barking for longer than 10 minutes, isn’t a good dog parent and shouldn’t have one to begin with

5. DAvid says:

Plenty of apartments dont let pets live there. Thats the buty of apartment living. If you own a home its different. Its your land everyone else needs to get over it. Thats what home ownership isall about..nothin walls and being able to do wha yo want legaly on your property.

Can anyone here honestly say they would be down for it if they needed to raise taxes to enforce it? I thought not.

2. Lewis says:

Well, dave, you have apparently never had a barking dog 24/7 next to your bedroom and a neighbor who thinks the world loves the sound of his mutt. At one time in this country there was sufficient societal respect that a conversation with your neighbor would resolve the nuisance… but we are in another time and people really don’t give a flip about anyone other than themselves.

1. Dog-Gone says:

Many years ago, I had a rental where the neighbor to my house installed a dog lot against the property line just 10 feet from my house. He managed to run off my good-paying tenant with their noise. Everytime I would show the house, they would bark incessantly. He was actually trying to ‘con’ me into selling him the house for peanuts. One day, he goes to work and those dogs disappered, problem solved. A few years later, I was the happiest guy in the town when I learned his house was foreclosed on.
        You reap what you sow.

2. 1972Patriot says:

As I explained to Debbie there is a common sense solution to your complaint, lease in a community that does not cater to pets. But, I agree with your observation… as a society we are sadly disconnected.

3. ella funt says:

Scientists are working on a brand new product to repel unwanted noise.
        I think the’re called EAR PLUGS.

3. 5thcommjarhead says:

If you actually had a job and had to sleep once in awhile, I imagine you might feel differently if there was a loud dog barking outside your bedroom window 24/7/365.

4. tickyul says:

Yeah if you live right next to the F**ker barking nonstop……well, it would become important really quick.

1. Working Stiff says:

its called ……………taking action……………dog tranquilizers or some such action

5. David Heath says:

You must be a dog owner. I can’t see anyone else who would argue that people should be free to keep neighbours awake or have their children frightened off because of a selfish desire to own a dog.

1. Seriously?! says:

Like most of us dog owners, barking is an unacceptable behavior. Don’t blame the dog, blame the owner for not taking care of the problem. There isn’t anything called common courtesy anymore. That’s the other problem.

By the way, I can see someone that lives in the country or has never lived in an apartment complex, making an argument about how funny this sounds.

2. DAvid says:

Um I want my dog to bark to keep kids off my property what would you want it for? as far as barking past 9 no I tell mine to STFU or bring them inside. but during the day I cold care less raise hell you stupid mutt.

6. Rooty says:

No, jerkusaurus – it has to do with noises that can be controlled by humans. Noises like dogs barking for more than 10 minutes, morons who don’t know how to turn down their boom stereos, and Dave making stupid comments…

7. Dave S says:

No, Dave, barking dogs SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ll take bank robbers ANY day over dumb ass barking, yappy, flea infested mutts!!! No doubt, you probably got one in your yard.

1. Cogito ergo sum says:

Really??? I’ve been the victim of a really bad dog bite before. I had to see a plastic surgeon for it, and the owner never paid for my medical bills because I didn’t prosecute (it was my fiancee’s friend) and I don’t have the kind of hatred for dogs that you expressed in your comment. In fact, I own one. I specifically moved to an all dog-owner apartment so I could have a dog in peace. I think you are being unfair to dog-owners and dogs themselves. I have a whippet mix, that I rescued from VA, and he never makes a peep, but if he did I would hope that my neighbors wouldn’t run to the cops, but would instead confront me over my dog’s behavior in my absence. This running to the so-called authorities to solve every little problem is precisely what has gotten this country into the mess it’s in. On the other hand, there are several teenagers who live below me and they blast their stupid hip hop at all hours and bang doors, keeping everyone up in the complex. No one calls the cops. I just bang on my floor and it normally stops. That’s how you handle bad neighbors. You don’t need to go crying like a baby to the cops everytime something happens. Maybe that’s why there’s virtually no crime in my small town. Apparently, you would rather have bank robbers potentially shooting innocents than hear a barking dog in your town. Please don’t ever move to Northfield, MA.

8. Sammie Jo says:

you obviously have never lived next door to someone who has barking dogs.

9. Harlan G Weinberger says:

If the inconsiderate behaving people would take responsibility for their pet dogs, there wouldn’t be a problem. That is to train them! And, it can be done. It requires a bit of effort.

10. old white guy says:

sorry dave but a barking dog can and does disrupt the peace and quite and sleep of many people . if your dog is outside nand barking it’s wee brain out then you should be fined and or the dog removed.

1. DAvid says:

If its after 9P.M. I agree they need to keep them quiet. During the day though all bets off. If you sleeop during teh day you are the few and as such shoud not expect to be accomidated.

11. Marilyn Banner says:

dave — are you really going to compare your dog’s obnoxious barking with birds chirping? Seriously?

12. AK says:

Obviously, you don’t have any neighbors who allow their dogs to bark constantly, day & night, at nothing. So nice to step out in the front yard and be barked at, step out in the back yard and be barked at. Try watching tv at night with the sound of the neighbor’s dogs barking in the background. Try working at your computer with the sound of the neighbor’s dogs barking in the background. It can become quite maddening. And the person who doesn’t seem to be able to hear it is the owner of the dogs. She has the dogs in her backyard, facing my living room, while she stays toward the front of her house, apparently insulated from the noise. Yes, dogs bark, but there should be some recourse for people subjected to continuous barking who can get zero cooperation from the dogs’ owner.

1. Seriously?! says:

Here what you can do: Record the dog barking all day. Rent a bull horn. Wait till she’s home. Play the dog barking over the bull horn.

13. bob says:

guess what every 30 seconds you’re house i getting broken into. but where are you’re cops? every 6 seconds their arresting a kid for weed. wonder how long the wait time for your robbery crime will be? hm no where. nice thought dave because it is true that these stupid laws take away from valuable law enforcement resources.

14. d:-) says:

If you haven’t had the pleasure of having a dumb**s neighbor, barking dog, AND working night shift, then shut your hole. It is important when you need your sleep and your inconsiderate dirtbag neighbors let their dogs bark ALL day long. It took me a better part of a year to finally get the county animal control to fine her for the noise, I had to get the other neighbors to join the complaint to finally get resolution. And right after that, the dog bit the other noisy neighbors kids face so bad she needed surgery, and the dog was put down. LETS HEAR IT FOR IRRESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS!!!! YAAAYYY!!!

1. DAvid says:

You chose the night shift you need to adjust. The wants /needs of many outweigh he few. Think about it. Get ear plugs i fyou sleep at night. Got no sympathy for you. And I worked the night shift.

2. d:-) says:

@DAvid, ha, funny thing, I didn’t ‘choose’ night shift, and another thing, I DID USE EAR PLUGS!!! So you and your opinion can “suck it” ..i..

3. boozy says:

You have to go no further than this to see what is wrong with this country..

4. tired of this says:

Fort Worth is a cesspool and this is what they focus on? Dogs barking?

5. Brent_77 says:

Love this. Irresponsible and inconsiderate pet owners deserve what they get.

1. granted says:

and so do you. and so you shall.

2. jim says:

so true Why do ppl get dogs omly to leave them outside all day/ id put the owners outside all day

6. derpdeedoo says:

TRANSLATION: We need new revenue sources. Time to oppress the populace again.

1. Debbie says:

You are correct, this IS just another source of revenue. Look for more to come!!!!

1. Dave S says:

Obviously Debbie has a yappy dog that never shuts up.

7. John Galt says:

You obviously don’t have the joy of a neighbor who will not control their dog. One day it started barking at 5:00 AM and was still barking at 9:00 because a squirrel got into their screened enclosure. They had left the dog and gone of vacation. This same dog barks for 1/2 at a time every time its owner drives away. That gets old very quickly. I don’t blame the dog, animals can be trained, I blame the owners.

1. Johannes de Silentio says:

@John Galt

I’m with you! I think I’ve got the same neighbor as you do. It is every night and every morning for at least 2-3 hours straight. I think making the ordinance more clearly defined means that it actually means something.

btw…who is John Galt?

2. Bite Me (k9 training) says:

Its a fact animal abusers have a strong likely hood of abusing people at some point. If I were you I would MOVE! Or next time go over there and get the dog, send it to an animal rescue so it can get an actual real home.

1. JMA says:

I will gladly move, but then the irresponsible dog owner WILL pay my moving costs and any losses that I take upon disposing of my property (whether it be a sale or lease.)

2. lvcookin41 says:

Its easier to make the dog a tasty treat…and toss it to him…DOG GONE!!

3. Sammie Jo says:

so you advocateuprooting your life and moving over making someone train their dog not to bark, and you also advocate dog napping and trespassing.?
        I hope you keep bail money handy.

3. charley nash says:

You are right! Dog behaviour is a refelection of the owner. Most dogs are tossed into the backyard and serve no purpose except to cause problems and bad oders. It’s the legacy of their owners usually too.

4. BadPenny says:

You obviously do not have the joy of a neighbor with screaming kids! You are lucking to only have a dog barking! I could only dream! Oh, and I have dog barking too but I also know that living in my family neighborhood I guess that comes with the territory. I have more going on in my life to be a busy body complaining about the neighbor’s dog or kids. You might be better off looking for a retirement community. Or a pet free apartment.

1. Rob Barker says:

Kids are kids. But yes, I know your point. Parents should have their kids keep it down, but it is unrealistic to think kids won’t carouse and have fun. At least the kids don’t continued at hours like 5am or 12 midnite!

5. shawn says:

lol, i would have the cops on the phone by 5:01am and again at 5:15 and again at 5:30 and again and again and again. then id just kill the dog.

8. Mark says:

On the third complaint the dog should be euthanized. Ignorant people who could care less about their neighbors lose their right to an animal that makes noise.

1. Bite Me (k9 training) says:

Inhumane and ignorant comments such as yours are the largest reason we have such a problem in this country. Always looking for the quick fix, the problem with people such as yourself is that you are too busy being bothered by others and trying to control what other people are doing and your not taking time to consider how you are actually negatively affecting those individuals. You need to help yourself before you can impose your will on others. Freedom is what makes this country great, but people like you are slowly taking that away inch by inch.

1. BadPenny says:

Excellent post!

I wonder if Mark thinks the same about kids? Should I get to euthanize my neighbors kids because they are constantly screaming? I work from home and I can’t count the number of times I have run outside because they were screaming and I thought something may be wrong/hurt. There are also many barking dogs in my neighborhood but it comes with the territory. I would take a barking dog over a screaming kid any day of the week! Oh and did I mention all the crow squawking going on…and the darn bus driver who has to beep the horn every morning and afternoon with picking up the neighbors kids.

The difference is, I have a life and understand chit happens. Liberals think the world revolves around them and they have no life, just busy bodies looking for anything to complain about!

2. Lewis says:

BM- what’s your point? Inconsiderate oblivious people have the right to deny the neighboring homeowner peaceable enjoyment of their property? You want to blame the victim of the nuisance barking? How about responsibility of the pet owner to bring their animal inside the house and let the dog bark in their bedroom?

3. sdgdf says:

@Bite me – you ignorant f\/ck did you read what you wrote? What exactly do you think differentiates the obnoxious dog owner from your disdain for the person having to listen to it “and your not taking time to consider how you are actually negatively affecting those individuals” – you shoudl be beaten wiht your own spleen for being so friggin selfish. You are the problem – you not being logical and thinking things through in a reasonable fashion

2. HappyAsALark says:

What needs to be euthanized is…YOU!

3. alice Polarbear says:

That’s what they do in Singapore.

9. USArmyCombatMedic says:

What’s to say a person doesn’t call 911, complain on that jerk neighbor of theirs, and just before the police arrive, they intentionally irritate the dog?

Also, what if I live next to a park and I don’t like the sound of little league? Do I get to call 911 for that? What about those trains.. Sure, the tracks were there when I moved in, but I don’t like the noise. Can they be ticketed too? Oh yeah, and I don’t like it when families get in verbal arguments and yell at each other. Can I superimpose myself there as well?

Get the point? Live and Let Live.

1. Rob Barker says:

First, one doesn’t move or buy a house next to a little league park and not think there will be noise. That would be YOUR fault. I have worked for a newspaper for 9 years, and have seen those stories. Neighbors complaining about the noise. They knew when they moved in. or they didn’t do their homework.

2. fgsfdgsdf says:

ya – use absurd rehtoric and obfuscate with foolish irrelevent comparions to avoid defending the indefensible – good point – hopefully you don’t use that lack of logic in your work

3. Shelly says:

Were you hit in the head with a mortar? A dog can be trained just like a soldier. A dog barking incessantly is unacceptable and inconsiderate. Your analogy about parks and trains is irrelevant.

10. Sick of LIBERALS says:

SHOOT the DOG and the OWNER BOTH!!!!!

11. Robert Falls says:

What if the dog is alerting to something like a person in trouble or a robbery does the the dog get a ticket?

1. tweert says:

gee what do you think you idiot? Let me guess liberal no mind incapable of reason

2. Shelly says:

Robert Falls is a genius

12. Common_Sense96 says:

As long as this will apply to people’s children – then fine with me! The screaming brats in the yard next to mine – I can’t wait to call to report them! Legally – if a sound meter is used – you won’t be able to use it on dogs and not kids – slippery slope…..again – I’ll be happy to report those screaming kids!

13. dwoof says:

How many minutes do screaming kids get??

14. volt007 says:

Bravo!! Finally a law that hit’s SELFISH DOG OWNERS WHO DON’T CARE ABOUT OTHERS

1. BadPenny says:

Maybe we should apply a law against self people who want to waste a police officer’s time on a dog barking!

1. ggeyre says:

self people? Do you mean slefish? Like the peopel who buy a dog becasue they want one and then everyone else has to deal with – no that wouldn’t be selfish would it – I assume someone reads to you and chews your food for you

15. Notta Perot-bot says:

Can we apply the 10-minute rule to Obama-Biden?

16. Lankester Merrin says:

Irresponsible dog owners that leave their dogs out to bark longer than 10 minutes should be executed.

1. BadPenny says:

So should people who are so selfish, they want to waste police time to stand there for 10 minutes to see if dogs continues to bark!

1. FedUp Florida says:

Defender of selfish behaviour? Tell me, do you get off when your dog licks the peanut butter off your cootch? Simp.

2. DAvid says:

@fed up Florida- Let me guess uneducated left winger? How could I tell you ask? Oh well thats easy… its buy your speach.

17. BadPenny says:

So, they want a cop to stand there for 10 minutes to see if the dog continues to bark? Isn’t there better jobs the cops can be doing like, oh say….patrolling the streets and keeping the neighborhoods safe? Never heard of a barking dog being a threat. If people don’t want to hear barking dogs, move into a pet free apartment or condo! Otherwise, deal with it! I hear barking dogs all the time, I also hear birds chirping and alarms going off and sirens and a whole lot of other noise, that is part of life!

1. rury says:

and you hear the moans of the hobos as you service them for quarters as well I assume… talk about selfish – I’m gonna introduce an irritant into the neighborhood so everyone else shodul move

2. Shelly says:

You’re a genius…what if a family owns a million dollar home? Just pack and move? Heard of any pet-free single family neighborhoods?

18. William says:

Constantly barking dogs are a real nuisance. I know people who own such animals seem to think its cute and other people should just deal with it, but that only shows their narcissism. I’m sure those same people would rage if, say, someone were to play loud music as much as their dog barked.

Anyway, its nearly impossible to deal with people who own yappers and that is why the police or animal control get involved. Having laws on the books that have fines rather than requiring expensive and time wasting court cases makes sense.

19. Jim says:

There are many people in my neighborhood with dogs that bark uncontrollably. Its incredibly annoying. Its like a car alarm that never shuts off. It sucks that I can’t sit on my porch and enjoy the evening because some idiot dog begins to bark its head off because of a squirrel or a bird or whatever. I hope they pass similar laws here.

1. badpenny says:

Maybe we should get rid of the birds and squirrels. How dare they tease dogs and ruin your night on the porch… .

1. nvbnm says:

you should concentrate on getting the bats out of your belfry

2. JD says:

Obviously all of you people that are against this law live where there are no barking dogs. I am surrounded by 4 dogs all in different houses and if one of them barks it sets off the others. Sometimes it doesn’t stop and there is no where in my house where I can’t hear them. I am opposed to government intrusion as much as the next guy but this kind of thing needs to be stopped. It’s the ultimate form of disrespect to your neighbor and it shows that you don’t give a damn about the dog. If they did care they’d have the dog in the house and ACTUALLY care for it. I applaud people that actually are willing to do what needs to be done to take their lives back.

20. WereTurtle says:

Can we fine politicians who bloviate, demagogue, or otherwise lie to the American people for more than 10 minutes?

1. BadPenny says:

I’m with you there!

2. shawn says:

so every single elected official since the dawn of time will be fined. im all for it.

21. gussier says:

hmmmph! ain’t THAT the cat’s meow!

22. shawn says:

i would LOVE to see this law passed and would actually move to fort worth just for this law. and thats coming from a SOONER. i hate the noises dogs make and if it were up to me the law would be 1 minute not 10. if your not able to take care of your dog you dont deserve to have one.

23. TMay says:

Remind me not to go there.

24. Norm Balog says:

Fines? Won’t work. People who leave their dogs outside to bark are borderline personality disordered at best, pure sociopaths at worst. I say we pass a law making it okay to just shoot the dogs. Or the owners. Go Texas.

25. BigBoa says:

Open yet another proverbial can of worms.

We’ve ALREADY got people naming off kids as being worse. Perhaps “the state” should just remove them….

Of course, people who are “do-gooders” and busy-bodies, harping about people’s dogs or children, are usually the same people that think NOTHING of running a loud a$$ generator or saw all day long… Of course, THAT’S “different” because its something THEY “need” to do….

There are already rules in most towns for noise and it is a nuisance if between certain hours. To expand it to encompass other hours is only inviting trouble.

Of course, in a lot of these cases, people never even CONSIDER talking to their neighbors. A lot of times, that’s all it takes. Sometimes, a little compromise works. Offer to not complain about the dog as long as they don’t complain about you mowing the grass at 6 in the morning…….

Nah, it’s MUCH better to let “the state” dictate even more of your life…..

1. Dog-Gone says:

Well, 2 of my neighbors are busy-bodies looking for trouble. We live near a school where dogs get dumped fairly regularly. I’ve managed to find a few homes, but not without having to return dirty looks with one and cursing-out another one. All because they were too darn lazy to do anything but complain.

2. Peachy says:

Most times if people are rude enought to have dogs barking non-stop they are not the kind of people who will react well to requests for them to change their behavior. You can try to talk to the neighbors but, in my experience, no matter how nicely you ask them to stop, you will just be met with defensiveness or hostility. We are dog owners ourselves but we take measures to insure they don’t annoy the neighbors ie. training, keeping them inside with the family most of the day and all of the night, and, in one case, a citronella bark collar. Works very well.

26. rulierose says:

bravo for this law!

this is about living as a member of a community and remembering that you have neighbors all around you. people should treat their neighbors like they would want to be treated themselves. that used to be called the “golden rule,” but apparently they don’t teach that anymore.

I have a neighbor who lets his dog bark regularly every nite from about 630 to 8pm. every nite. that’s just disrespectful of the neighbors. take care of your darn dog, or don’t have one!

1. Sally Burke says:

Absolutely right. As a responsible dog owner I simply can’t fathom the attitude of people who let their dogs bark on and on. If ours barks (he sounds like about 8 dogs when he does) we bring him inside. If we leave the house, he is in his crate so he can’t run around the yard like a nut barking his head off. PETA need not respond to this: he loves his crate and often goes in there for a nap of his own free will.

1. Al Goracle says:

Actually, dog crates are usually recommended for dogs. Many wild dogs naturally prefer burrows or dens. Ever wonder why many dogs like to dig holes? It’s not to bury bones. It’s instinct that they dig holes. Dog kennels,crates and dog houses are often perfect for this very reason.

But many people allow their dogs to become accustomed to the human home to serve as the burrow/den.

PETA can “F” off!

2. Dave S says:

Good for you, Sally!! All dog owners should take note.😉

27. BigBoa says:

Good to see there are still some people with a little common sense.

Part of the problem is, people have no spine anymore. Rather than actually complain to the neighbor, they’d rather let the police do it….

Usually, not always, but usually, if people would SPEAK UP, they can resolve the problem. The mighty Boa doesn’t want people stopping to let their dogs do their “business” in his yard. And he made it more than clear that if they do, they most likely won’t be taking their dog home. Not rudely, just matter of fact like…. And it was obviously taken to heart.

If a neighbor has a dog with a barking problem, tell them it isn’t cute and that you’ll call animal control if they don’t do something about it. Of course, some people appear to complain about any dog barking at anytime. That just sounds stupid. Just like your train example. The mighty Boa has some friends that live in rural areas where they used to be able to legally shoot. Until some city do-gooders moved in and complained and got the ordinance changed. They don’t like the “noise”. It scares them. Some people aren’t happy unless everything is done to THEIR liking….. And they call OTHER people “selfish”……

1. Dave S says:

Big Boa: these days people who rudely let their dogs bark do not take kindly to a face to face discussion of the problem. They tell ya to f off, or worse, the situation escalates toward violence. Or, you find your tires slashed . . . .

2. Robert says:

When I asked my neighbors to keep their dog pack quiet, it ended up with five of them screaming at me on my doorstep and me having to show them a gun to keep them from attacking me. I go through the police now, not because I lack a spine, but because I’d just as soon not have to shoot someone over barking dogs.

1. hg says:

Indeed I went through a year long “issue” with my neighbor once because I told him “you need to keep your cat out of my garden” after it had dug it all up becasue they didn;t believe a cat should have to stay in a house – threatened to burn down my house, revv’d his engine in his driveway all hours of the night slammed doors, yelling and hollering, played music loud, threw trash all over the yard, threatened to get a rooster – ya real good neighbor there. You have a pet it’s yours – you are responsible for it – you keep it in your yard, you control the noise it makes – don’t like that, don’t have a pet. Or expect that some day you come home and it has gone to live on a farm. Simple really. I didn’t do your pet in – YOU DID!

3. Shelly says:

Big Boa, you’re dumber than CombatMedic.

“. The mighty Boa doesn’t want people stopping to let their dogs do their “business” in his yard. And he made it more than clear that if they do, they most likely won’t be taking their dog home. Not rudely, just matter of fact like…. And it was obviously taken to heart.”…

Think the dog owner would call the police about your threat? Only fools take the law into their own hands, littleBoa.

28. Matthew Dunnyveg says:

Great law, but a shame at the same time. It is very unfortunate that we have to pass laws mandating consideration for one’s neighbors.

29. Abel Garcia says:

If it is an inempt burgler, the police take the easiest way out-“slance the dog”.

30. Locke says:

Disincorporate the city instead.

31. Timmmy says:

l give rise to animal cruelty cases. Many owners who don’t know how to quiet their dog and get fined will lash out in violence towards the dog whenever it barks. It won’t solve the problem at all, just raise more money for the government and raise animal cruelty levels even higher.

1. TimmyTwoTwo says:

Timmy says “The money raised from these fines should go towards free dog training for repeat offenders.”

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha….just what we need another hand out for those who don’t want to be civil members of a civil society. How about we just ask for our neighbors to be considerate. If they refuse, why is a fine out of order? It’s better than taking their dogs away (which would also make sense.

2. sfgsd says:

What? so my tax money should go to you getting free training for something that si your responsibility to begin with rather than the officer that solves the problem by holding you accountable? If it doesn;t solve the problem then it’s YOU that is the problem

32. Al Goracle says:

It’s fascinating to read the comments here and see the posts from people that defend dog owners that allow their dogs to incessantly bark and miss-behave. These defenders are likely the very type that seem to think it’s perfectly O.K. to acquire a dog, then not bother to train it, then place it outside to torture the neighbors with it’s barking and running at large.

I have FOUR homes immediately adjacent to my home that I have been at war with for YEARS over their obnoxious pooches! ALL of them moved in AFTER I did!

I have attempted to reason with them, when that failed, then I sicked the cops on them. That in turn pi$$e$ them off toward me. Rather than take responsibility for their precious poochy, they think l I am the problem. Even with having the cops involved, three of the dog owners continue to repeatedly allow their dogs to bark and/or run at large. One of them finally took responsibility for their mutt and silenced it with a No-Bark collar.

One neighbor thinks it’s perfectly O.K. for his dog to bark at all hours and believes that the dogs toilet is MY YARD! I’m seriously considering going into his yard and personally taking a cr@p in it. Fair is fair right!

Another neighbor allows it’s P.O.S. dog to bark all day long at….NOTHING!!! No squirrels or birds. I have recorded it on video for two hours straight in the past to prove to the cops that the dog literally barks non-stop and there is NOTHING antagonizing it! It barks for the sake of barking! Yeah, all I had to do was place my video camera on a tripod on my deck and point it at the yard where the dog was barking from and go back inside for two hours. The point was well proven in court, yet the owners are pi$$ed at me?

Another neighbor repeatedly allows his dog to run loose. He keeps claiming the dog, “Just gets loose!” This dog likes to snarl and snap at me in MY OWN YARD!
    Here’s an idea! Get a full leather body harness for said poochy, attach the harness to a log chain, then attach the chain to a 3’x3′ block of concrete! Poochy will stay right in it’s own yard! Owner thinks that’s too drastic! Maybe he would rather I put a bullet in his poochy the next time it’s in my yard threatening me?

Dogs are one of the easiest animals in the world to train, but people constantly think they can get a dog and it is self training…NOT! You want a dog! FINE, then learn how to train it to be obedient and quiet! THE ONLY TIME a well trained dog should bark is when there is an imminent threat, such as someone breaking into the home or trespassing.

If you can’t train your dog to behave for what ever the reason, then you simply DO NOT DESERVE TO OWN A DOG!!!! PERIOD!!!

Bring on the fines for these azz-wipes! They deserve it!!!!

Oh yeah, and to all the defenders of the offenders, tell me how I am wrong! Maybe I should show up at your home and crank some Metallica intermixed with some recordings of my neighbors barking dogs and dump a few bags of dog feces in your yards, I’m sure you would not mind at all, right?

33. Dr. Glickman says:

This same habitual dog barking problem is being repeated in every residential neghborhood across the country right now. Judging by the responses it appears the majority opinion is to punish the owner of the offending animal. The problem is that there never was an ordinance quantifying how much noise constitutes a citable offense, until now. All cash strapped municipalities should enact a similiar ordinance. This will restore peace and tranquility and bring in needed cash. The Constitution even garauntees it when it states an individual has the right to be “left alone” on their own property. This has been widely interpreted to mean the right to peace and quiet in one’s own home.

34. Terry says:

And while they are at it they should require dog “walkers” to get permission from property owners before they let their dogs use other peoples property as a toilet. I don’t care if they pick up the droppings. It’s not their property and they shouldn’t have the right to use it without asking FIRST.

1. Nuff Said says:

That’s where you find out where the OWNER lives and pick up the poo and put in a bag. Thus, the “Flaming Bag of Poo” on the porch would get the point across.

2. Spinnaker says:

Dont’ forget to sue birds, squirrels, insects, spiders, etc., they’re doing it too without your permission!

35. Barry Soetoro Eats Krap says:

I frigging hate barking dogs and more than a few have been “disposed of” by me in the past.

36. damon beckett says:

I have never met a dog owner who would admit his or her dogs bothers people. Also have you ever noticed that when a dog owner provides a doghouse it is always placed far from his bedroom window and near his neighbor’s window.

37. Dog-Gone says:

Dogs bark incessantly only when they’re being ignored or are in-bred psychos from a puppy-mill. A reflection of their owner’s stupidiity.

38. bullybeatdown says:

big boa bad penny… go f urselves…. you are both living in denial trying to defend these dog owners who do not respond to civil requests to silence their dogs… they are bullires an dneed there faces smashed in… thats what works with bullies… in war 2wrongs a=make a right and the end does justify the means… when your freedom to let your dog bark outweighs antire communities freedom to have peace then freedom must be curtailed…

39. dkurtis says:

This is a good reason to go out and shout all these squirrels that make my dogs bark. Those tormenting little guys will set there and chatter at them for easily 10 minutes.

40. dkurtis says:

Okay, if shouting doesn’t work – I should shoot them. My mistake.

1. Spanky says:

Be careful!

41. Dan Wilmarth says:

PLEASE do so…start a trend that hopefully will extend to my state (GA)…you are more than welcome to have a pet, just keep it and it’s noise out of my life…bring back pet rocks

42. ralph says:

Fine wives who bark at their husbands for longer than 10 minutes.

43. abbey says:

Stupid, dumb people shouldn’t even own a pet . Can’t they figure out that the poor dog just wants to be inside with the family? License people; not pet.

44. Ken says:

It’s about time!!!! Everywhere I have lived barking dogs are a big problem!!!!

45. Lincoln Stern says:

The problem with non-stop barking dogs isn’t a dog problem, it’s a dog owner problem. After the cute puppy stage is over, far too many pet owners just kick the dog out the back door where it eventually learns that the only way to get back in the house is to bark for hours and hours. Most dog owners just ignore the issue until it hits them in the wallet.

This proposal is a change in the right direction! .

46. Arnold Ripkin says:

Easy solution. Poison, the stealthy silent solution.

47. BigBoa says:

Bullybeatdown, your name rhymes with clown! The mighty Boa isn’t defending dog owners. The mighty Boa has had to deal with noisy neighbors in the past, and would prefer to do that than have cops involved. If it is so bad, and you can’t ignore it, retaliate. Leave injury to the dog as a last resort. Unless the dog is coming on your property, of course. The mighty Boa would prefer to do it that way than to involve “the state”, because once you do that, there is no turning back and they will abuse the law. Before you know it, YOU will be getting fined for having a car, or alarm clock, or TV that is too loud. There are far better ways to deal with a$$hole neighbors. Trust the mighty Boa on this….

48. BigBoa says:

Arnold Ripkin, shame on you.

Getting even with an a$$hole neighbor should be done without harming the animal. That may be necessary as a completely last resort, but unless the dog is an obviously mean, hateful sort of dog, it certainly shouldn’t be the first resort. Most dogs that bark do so due to neglect and that is the fault of the owner. Some bark just because they’re hyper types of dogs, but there are ways to deal with that as well. You can poison the dog, but guess what? You’ll still have an a$$hole for a neighbor. There ARE ways to deal with them.

49. Nuff Said says:

I launch M-100s with a wrist-rocket at the violating animals home; wakes up the owners, thinking someone is shooting – that will get a good reaction and they tend to want to “protect” their animal from “crazy people shooting at their dogs”.

50. Paul says:

I suggest fines for the inconsiderate dog owners who don’t clean up after they allow their dogs to dump on our lawns…how about that?

51. zalukas says:

Screaming children in neighborhood are danger to ones sanity.

Keep children in cages and walk them on the leash.

1. Spanky Spankster says:

“danger to ones sanity.”

You can’t lose something you don’t have.

52. George says:

Antifreeze or liquid rat poison mixed with yummy ground beef seems to put a lid on barking. I’ve done it several times in different states over the years, and it’s never failed to improve the quality of my life.

53. Diego Roswell says:

Government says no smoking in bars so you build a nice outdoor smoking area for your patrons. Government says your patrons are too loud outside. Is it the role of government to close your business? Apparently this is what is happening. If people would simply stop going to the government to solve problems with neighbors we would not evolve into a totalitarian system like we are currently headed.

54. Kristi says:

I live in the cultural district…if you choose to live around the west 7th street area…did you not look around before you signed the lease–apartments above restaurants and bars–it’s going to be noisy. You signed the lease–deal with it. You can’t be that dense to not know there is going to be noise every evening. Geez.

55. AeroJack7 says:

I live in a residential neighborhood and own two dogs. If my dogs bark for more than a minute, I bring them inside. People who leave their dogs outside all night constantly barking are the absolute worst kind of dog owners. They should be hit with massive fines.

56. Odins Acolyte says:

Yes it is annoying as hell. No more so than stealing money by way of legislation.
    We now live under tyranny of law rather than rule of law.
    Government from city to county to state to federal had better stop it. Join the new Tar and Feather Party folks. It beats TEA and gets the attention of politicians and holds it! Make those upitty snoots sweat.

57. Joe E in the IE says:

Impose fines on parents whose children cry louder than a 747 takeoff at 100 yards away . . . especially in any restaurant other than Chuck E. Cheese.

58. Andy Del Tor says:

59. Corey F says:

My dog has freedom of speech rights- I’d fight this up to the supreme court.

1. Spanky Spankster says:

If the SCOTUS is packed with cats your dog will be in trouble.

60. freecheese says:

My favorite is “where they’re building condos next to bars.” Who was there first; the condo or the bar?
    That’s like building a new home next to an airport, then demanding they close the airport. No kidding, it happens in New Orleans often.

61. Joe Dutra says:

Finally, a new law that makes sense. Three Woofs!

62. MikeInAZ says:

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have a neighbor with a little yipper dog that is always barking, and it sure gets annoying. If it takes a fine to shut him up it’s fine with me.

1. drag says:

What’s the matter? Can’t hear yourself beating the wife?

1. MikeInAZ says:

Always one smart*** in the crowd.

63. Ophilo Obarbo says:

How ridiculous. Make it 7 minutes, dammit!

1. Spanky Spankster says:

Is this in dog minutes or people minutes?

Someone better be prepared to teach dogs the difference so they’ll know when to stop barking…

And what if the dog barks for 9 minutes 59 seconds, takes a break to lick him/herself, and then barks again, does the clock reset?

64. Splat says:

I was going to say something about the reporter’s poor spelling skills…

“They worry the new { ordiance coudl } get in the way.”

…but then I saw the reporter…Arezow Doost…and realized she probably has trouble remembering how to spell her own name!

65. Gigi says:

With all the problems in Fort Worth, this is the issue on which the Fort Worth officials are choosing to waste their time? Really?!

1. Spanky says:

Do you think that this is the only thing the officials are going to address all year?

66. Patriot223 says:

Our city of little Richland, Washington already does ticket residents for barking dogs, and all other noise offenses. Also The person in charge of the noise complaint board has been arrested twice for noise complaints!!!

67. notanotherdime says:

Do not come to my door for this BS. I will not play this game anymore. HANDS OFF MY WALLET

That’s it.

68. Alice Polarbear says:

Some people who let their dogs bark incessantly simply do not care about their neighbors. There is nothing worse than unwanted noise, whether it be obnoxious music, barking dogs or other loud animals (shrieking parrots leap to mind). I would like to see such an ordinance here in Fresno, where a trashy next door neighbor’s barking dog made my life hell until the happy day the wretched noise-bag disappeared.

1. Harry Cow says:

People like Alice here think they trump everyone else. She never stops to consider the fact that Fort Worth is a crimehole. Or that people WANT their dogs to bark. NO, Alice was happy when that “wretched noise bag” died because it was all about Alice’s comfort. At the same time, Alice probably thinks we need to put up with her kids shrieking all day long or any other noise she cares to make because that’s her life, dammit! And of course, never mind that it’s all about money, does not teach the dog a thing or that without the dog, her neighbor’s house is much more attractive to the criminals freely roaming the streets because the cops were busy sticking it to that neighbor that annoys her heh heh heh.

1. alice Polarbear says:

I’ll bet you are the owner of an obnoxious barking dog.For tjhe record Harry Stupid Cow, I do not have shrieking kids or play loud music with an obnoxious base beat. Nor do I use or hire others to use leaf-blowers. I pay good money to enjoy my home, not to have to endure the inconsideration of some absolute jerk who thinks his doggie has a god-given right to bark 24-7 as the loathesome noisebag that used to live next to me did. As for crime, put up burglar bars or hire a security ncompany. Or keep your barking dog indoors when not at home the better to attack anyone who breaks in.

2. Harry Cow says:

And your neighbor paid similar for theirs, why do you think you’re more important? Love the expenses you thrust on your neighbor for your comfort as well. You’re a peach.

69. Alice Polarbear says:

My fondest fantasy: Scientists invent a portable force-field that can be set up at the perimeters of one’s property that not only block unwanted noise, but turn it back onto the offender, multiplied. Let the owners of barking dogs, loud bad music, obnoxious leaf blowers, etc., suffer for the evils they inflict upon others. PLEASE, scientists, WORK ON IT, Make it semi-affordable and you’ll get rich.

1. Harry Cow says:

You sure do spend a lot of time fantasizing about hurting your neighbors.

70. Ron Francis says:

This is a great law too many people don’t care anymore and just leave their dogs to bark for hours on end.
    suppose you have a disability and this barking makes you worse. people just don’t understand.
    personnaly I’d just shoot the dog. would serve the owner right. or better yet just shoot the dumb a$$ owner, maybe he’d get the point.

1. Rmmm says:

problem with that is, you get fined for shooting a gun….

71. BrianM says:

They will do anything for money. They are so far in debt that they are going to try anything and everything to get your money. Time to vote them out to get some responsible people put into office. We need to cut back on spending big time and free up business by reducing regulations. The only regulations that should be in place should be for not ripping people off—hmmm maybe we should put that in place on our government! Wonder how much the Federal government would owe us if they had to pay us back for all the money they have mismanaged??

1. Spanky says:

The City of Fort Worth != The Federal Government

72. charles says:

Does this law cover Nancy Pelosi ?

1. Spanky Spankster says:

Only if it includes reptiles.

73. Rmmm says:

Reading some of the comments left on this. A lot of you have not dealt with this… For 3 years I had to put up with a dog barking right under my window at 2 or 3 am. Try getting up that early when you have to get up just a couple hours later cause some idiot will not put their dog up. It isnt the dogs fault. it is the owners. and they need to be fined. People behind me had ever neighbor in the neighborhood complained to them and they did not care. what got them to start caring, was when the cops showed up.

1. point says:

How does your story relate to a ten minute time limit? Excessive is excessive and they can already deal with that, as your story points out. This arbitrary ten minute fine is simply a revenue source and nothing more. That’s the problem.

1. Rmmm says:

it went over 10 minutes. 10 – 20 minutes at a time.

2. point says:

You’re missing the point.

2. tw says:

If you put three asprins in a hotdog and let it sit in the sun for a day it will kill a pretty good sized dog. Just throw it in their backyard; dogs love day old hotdogs. If it is a very large dog you might have to use two hotdogs.

1. kudos says:

A neighbor poisoned my dogs once. They weren’t barkers, though. He was just a cat person and his cat liked to come into my yard, so he decided my dogs needed to go. Kidney failure is not pleasant. Your advice will be very helpful to other sociopaths. Congratulations.

2. kudos says:

not funny

74. Spanky says:

I’m going to start selling paw watches for dogs so they can time their barking…

75. G says:

Sounds like a plan. can we do this to Obama and his teleprompter-laden speeches?

1. Spanky Spankster says:

The Secret Service is still trying to figure out how the leash law should apply to the First Ho.

76. Spanky Spankster says:

Is this in dog minutes or people minutes?

1. easy says:

You are over thinking this. The cops will write tickets to whoever has a dog in their backyard every month until they meet their quota. They will show up in court and point to the ticket they wrote as proof that your dog was barking over ten minutes. You will say no he wasn’t. The judge will rule against you. Next.

77. Spanky Spankster says:

I don’t think this is much of a problem in areas where there are a lot of Vietnamese or Chinese restaurants.

78. tw says:

It would be cheaper to have the dogs’ vocal cords removed rather than pay the fines. If they outlaw this vocal cord removal it will just send those dog owners into the back alleys where the vocal cords will be removed with rusty clothes hangers.

79. up north says:

We live in Chicago. After many, many years of sleepless nights due to hearing our neighbor’s multiple dogs barking non-stop right under our bedroom window, or multiple dogs in the entire neighborhood barking night & day, we called the police, we were threatened by the dog owners, etc, and we, too, were dog owners who would never inflict that kind of bullschit on anybody.

The City of Chicago finally created an ordinance that realizes we all work different hours, first shift, second shift, third shift, so an ordinance was put into place if a dog barks non-stop at any time of day, we can report it. The bad news is if you are a 3rd shift worker and the dogs are barking at noon, and the dog owners are not home, you are not SOL because the dog owners get a citation. But you have to put up with the dog barking until the dog owners come home.

It used to be that the City of Chicago had a strict ordinance that dog owners had to bring in the dogs at 11 p.m. and let them out at 7 a.m., that was the only time you could call the police. Before the ordinance if you called the police in the afternoon they could not help you.

I’m all for ordinances like this.

80. edwardo says:

What idiots! how about a 10 min limit on city council talking more than 10 minutes? or cats screaming, or owls hooting, or coyotes howling, or horns, security systems, OMG.

81. George of the jungle says:

Rat poison in a hot dog will take care of those inconsiderate SOB’s

Comments are closed.