Highland Park Basketball Star Apologizes To Team For DWI Arrest

UNIVERSITY PARK (CBSDFW.COM) – Highland Park High School’s star basketball player didn’t suit up Tuesday night. In fact, the senior guard didn’t even sit on the bench.

“I was sitting there wishing I was out there and I could help them,” recalled David Allen.

Allen cheered on his teamates from the stands in Prosper as they faced Carrollton Newman Smith in the playoffs.

The 18-year-old was suspended from play after being arrested for driving while intoxicated. Allen, who averages 23 points a game, told his team before tip off that he let them down.

“I talked to them all. I had to apologize to them first and tell them I’m sorry,” explained Allen. Then I had to get them pumped up and ready to go,” he added.

Allen was arrested this past Saturday night in University Park after police say he hit a parked car and then drove away. According to the arrest record, Allen registered a .11 on a breathalyzer. The legal limit in Texas is .08.

David’s father says he had a long talk with his son and says that the past few days have been difficult. “He’s just dying. He’s just dying, Mike Allen repeated. “He made a mistake. He’s 18,” added David’s father.

The Allen family says there are no plans to fight the suspension and that David will remain off the court for as long as the district mandates.

David says he plans to go to college, but where and when now depends on the outcome of his DWI charge.

Highland Park went on to win the game to advance in the playoffs.

Comments

1. Joe says:

I think it’s funny how a high school athlete gets arrested for DWI and it’s big news to these folks. I guess that’s why almost nobody watches Ch. 11 news anymore.

2. Ascot Man says:

I concur! Besides, WFAA is DALLAS news. CBS11? That’s the channel for that ingénue rube Khloe Kardashian, right? Haha. Hicks.

3. DDR says:

I agree. CBS11 should not be reporting Dallas news. They should stick to the school newspaper fodder they’re used to.

4. Dman says:

Wait, the father, Mike Allen, is commiserating with his son? Bet dad is a drinker too. DWI is not an accidental happening.

5. Kent says:

“He’s just dying. He’s just dying, …He made a mistake. He’s 18…” The kid is incredibly lucky that all he hit was a parked car. The choice of words by the father is a bit ironic given the situation. I wonder how the kid would feel if he was being charged with vehicular manslaughter instead of DWI?

Pay attention teenagers – IT’S AGAINST THE LAW TO DRINK WHEN YOU’RE NOT 21. IT’S AGAINST THE LAW TO DRIVE AFTER YOU’VE BEEN DRINKING! YOUR NOT BULLET PROOF (and neither are the other people on hte road).

6. RLM says:

How do they allow these type of thugs on the team in the first place?

1. Chance says:

That would be the coach’s fault. He was terrible. I experienced this firsthand. David seemed almost as if he saw no wrong in what he did.

7. Dash says:

He wasn’t allowed to sit on the bench or dress out, as it is against UIL policy to do either if a player is suspended. Boys at school say this kid drinks all the time, and it was just a matter of time till he got caught. Dad looks clueless. How could he not know?

8. Concerned Parent says:

Find out where he got the alcohol and hold them responsible as well. It is illegal to give alcohol to someone under 21. It was probably another parent that supplied the alcohol, or did not prevent the teenagers from drinking their alcohol.

Comments are closed.