55-Year-Old Grandmother Wants To Be Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader

oldest cheerleader for web 55 Year Old Grandmother Wants To Be Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader

CARROLLTON (CBSDFW.COM) – She’s got the drive, the figure and the discipline of a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. But does Sharon Simmons have what it takes to dance alongside some of the most visible women in the world? She’ll soon find out when the Carrollton resident auditions to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader.

She’s also a grandmother of two.

“I’m 55. And in May, around the competition, I’ll be 56,” explained Simmons. “On stage, I blend right in with women in their 20s, 30s and up.”

Simmons is an author and national fitness competitor who embraces what she calls “defining moments.” She had one last December, when she used the Cowboys cheerleader uniform as inspiration for a fitness costume. “I thought, that’s something I never tried,” Simmons said. “I always wanted to try out. I got real close in my early 20s, but got busy raising my daughter. And I thought, why not now?”

So, Simmons contacted her choreographer, who suggested a dance studio, who recommended seeking Audrea Cowen — a former Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader, now dance instructor at Plano’s K.J. Dance Studio — for help. The two work weekly on routines and fundamentals, both in group and private lessons.

Simmons said that her strength is in the competition itself. “I don’t get overly nervous,” she said. “I’ll be fine talking to the judges. I’m used to being on stage.”

But will that be enough to earn a spot among these high-kicking icons? Cowen said that dancing is an entirely different ballgame. “The flexibility required to be a cheerleader is greater than what she needs for fitness competition,” Cowen explained.

Sharon admits that, at 55, memorizing the fast-paced routines is tough. But she’s giving it her best shot, whether she makes it or not. “I love life. I’m having a blast. I’m having a ball.”

Simmons has 10 more weeks to rehearse. If she makes the squad, she will be the oldest cheerleader in NFL history — the current record holder is 42. The Auditions to be a 2012 Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader happen May 5 and 6. For audition information, click here.

Also Check Out:

Comments

1. susan says:

i wish her the best..i saw a program on cable about the selection process and the two women who judge and make the selection of candidates,as well as the lady who does the choreography…these ladies are “tough” and very picky..i believe the oldest lady to tryout in the past was also a grandmother and she was in her 40’s..she was beautiful and seemed to keep up with the rest, but she was not selected..more power to you ms. simmons..show them that you dont have to be a 20 something to strut your stuff and be a good representative of the cowboys!!

1. SHARON PERROTTA says:

I TOTALLY CONCUR,,,If you’ve got it flaunt it..I TOO AM 55, AND TAKE CARE OF MY BODY. i am also a grandmother and believe me if I could shed my small pooch i’dtry out too..hey if all else fails maybe she could start a squad of cheerleaders 55 and up..hahaaa …and give the youngsters something to work toward or eat their hearts out about..GOOOOOOOOO G-MAMA.
      I AM ALWAYS MISTAKEN FOR THE WIFE OR GIRLFRIEND OF MY SONS WHOM ARE IN THEIR 30’S…SO YEAH , SHE DEFINATELY GETS MY VOTE.

2. KENN says:

Excellent! there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it …GO FOR IT!!!

3. Anthony says:

where’s a picture? I came here hoping to see a picture at least.

1. Cindy Maddy says:

I would say I hope to look that good at her age, but I don’t look that good NOW!…. GO GIRL!!!

2. adela says:

She looks better or the same of those actresses in Hollywood

55 and also a mom, fantastic

Go girl

4. Terra says:

Wow! What an inspiration you are. You should be so proud that you are going for such an amazing goal. Youre never to old to follow your dreams. Good Luck!

5. TOM says:

just another high maint North Dallas person trying to be all that and a bag of chips.

1. Karen Neill says:

She is not high maintenance. She shops at regular stores and looks like a million dollars on a song!!!!!

1. What says:

She looks more like 2 dollars.. A million bucks yeah right !

6. DDR says:

If there’s never been such a thing as a GILF, there is now. She’s friggin’ HOT, especially for 55.

1. Young Jeezy says:

Come on DDR she is not hot. Her body looks good or as good as surgery can deliver. Her face is pretty bad. She is unfortunate looking. Shes got a beak of a nose and her face is way too masculine.
      “Simmons was asked if she believes that there is a physical difference between her body and those of the 19-year-olds trying out? “Absolutely no difference,” she declared.”
      Sorry honey but your delusional if you think there is no difference between you and a 19-20 year old because there is a massive difference like 35 years.
      You are in good shape for a grandma but thats about it.

7. terry says:

hmm. bit of a horse face.

1. Pablo Cervantes says:

No kidding. I oogled her name under images. She has a great body…but the face is…well, a closing time face. She may keep up, but she won’t make it. The judges are very, very prejudiced on their choices. Not racially…just very biased on the look they want. She looks great for 55, just too much to ask that the face match the body.

2. aztac says:

Why would anyone subject their grandkids to this level of ridicule? Poor kids.

8. badboy15 says:

do ya thing…try out and see if you can succeed. dreams and hope need to be explored.

shake off the lazy haters talkin trash, probably cant get their fat lazy butts off the couch

deflect all the negativity

9. sara says:

BUTTERFACE

10. Sharon's Number 1 Fan says:

Keep the bashing coming…I am enjoying reading it as I know what my MOM…GRANDMOTHER of my 2 kids…is all about. When did it ever become wrong to show to the world that if you set your mind to something–anything–you CAN achieve it. Age has no boundaries and I am thankful that I was raised to believe that and that with the help of my Mom’s journeys, my kids will learn to believe that. I feel a sense of sadness to think some of you are so narrow minded and have the ability to reproduce. My mom is in the best shape of her life–and YES–she DOES look better than most 20 year olds. We have an obesity problem in America people—this endeavor is more than my Mom wanting to fulfill a dream–it is about her wanting to show our YOUNG people that they don’t have to fall into the trap of some of their fat ass and lazy parents. That hard work, healthy eating, and mental focus can achieve amazing results. And my motto is “My Mom is hotter than your Mom”….and for the record–my grandkids freaking LOVE their Gigi and are two of her biggest fans. So thank you for your comments–positive and negative. I truly view negativity as jealousy….Positive people don’t need to bash others to make themselves feel better–perhaps you should pick up a copy of my Mom’s book….you might learn a thing or two.

1. Dan says:

Those that bash usually look as ugly as a mudstick so I wouldn’t put too much credence in those bashing this extremely attractive woman. I wish her luck. Anyone who can survive going through DCC camp has to be really physically fit and and in shape.

Good Luck!

2. joe says:

“fat ass and lazy parents”

nice

1. Sharons Number 1 Fan says:

Overweight and inactive…same message. I chose a bit more hostile words because at the end of the day I am her kid and while negativity doesn’t bother her at all, I wouldnt be normal to not be defensive when reading some of the comments that have been posted.

2. Dan says:

You should be very proud of your mom.. When I am that age, I hope I can be half as fit as she is. Those with negative comments are a very small minority and have nothing positve to offer this world. I’m a guy and I think she looks fantastic and hope she does well at the auditions.

3. Susan says:

I applaud you for defending your mother. She looks great for her age and I really hopes she makes it! I would only hope to look as good as she does at her age. Best of luck!

3. Steve I says:

I agree with “Sharon’s Number 1 Fan”.
      I think Sharon is lovely and in great shape. I hope she makes it.
      Steve I

4. lee saenz says:

I love what she is doing!!! Im 45 and having doubts about going back to school in part due to my age! I feel like im too old for that and than to read this is sooo remarkable!! Truly an inspiration. I hope and will pray she makes it. Jealousy as far as im concerned would be the only lame excuse if she doesn’t. That would be total B.S. lol. YOUR mom IS SOOOO HOTT!!!!

5. 2kidsandcounting says:

She looks amazing. I would be proud to have her represent Dallas or to have her as a mother/ grandmother. From watching the video posted all over the internet of her dance, she obviously is in top shape. I would suggest that she make her movements look more fluid and natural and throw in some high kicks or splits to show flexibility. I wish I could be up there with her! I hope she makes it all the way so we can watch her at every game. Great Job Sharon!

6. howard s says:

Sounds like a great lady, if she is interested in having dinner let me know. Im 55 will be 56 in May, have two grand kids and am taking singing lessons to become a lounge singer. I firmly believe if you want it go get it. Good luck to her, and even if she dosen’t make it, its all good. Tell her to hit me up howiespost@gmail
      thanks
      Howard

1. Sharon's Number 1 Fan says:

Howard, thanks for the compliment, but the only man she will be hitting up is my Dad🙂 Good luck to you with your singing journey!

2. LoL says:

Her gay son Joey protecting the old lady who thinks she looks young, wheres your boyfriend George….LoL

7. Keith says:

Nice to see you sticking up for your Mommy Joey way to go. I think her breast feeding you til you were 16 worked out well. You’re grounded and a very good Dad. Your significant other George is the best by the way. You go guys!

8. shania says:

That GIGI is a great role model for the old and young. I hope she dont listen to negative comments, because jealousy and uglyness inside of a person wont lead them far. For her to have that type of entusiasm she has to be beautiful inside and out. Love yourself and you cant help but love others. Thats true beauty and she has it.

9. SecretsOfTheSpa says:

She’s an inspiration. I need , The world needs…to see people like her pursuing their dreams. Life does not end when you become a Mother or a Grandmother. This was such amazing timing for me to read about. I was just discriminated against recently for my age at a job. I don’t even look 43. I still get carded when I buy wine! But I got really down the past few weeks, And I love your Mom. Never been to a Cowboy game, don’t even like football. But I hope your Mom makes the squad, and if she does, I want to be there cheering her in the sidelines! God Bless!

10. Just sayin says:

Sorry but she doesn’t look better then any 20 year old.. She looks every bit of 55-60 beside the fact she works out.Look how baggy her skin is, I’ve seen better. Grandma needs to be grandma her time as a cheer leader is done even tho she never had a chance with that face.. Bet she won’t make it…..

1. yo mama says:

Please check your spelling and grammer before you post. Perhaps you should return to high school to get your diploma or consider watching Sesame Street as they offer wonderful spelling lessons . I’m just sayin.

11. Dawn says:

I think its great. I thought about it my self. If she doesnt make it I will be with her if she starts up a “Mature” cheerleading squad. I think this would be a great idea, but looking at your Mom I THINK SHE HAS WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE THE TEAM. Maybe she can still start one up hmmmmmmm

12. Hockey Fan says:

I applaud you for support your Mom but sometimes negative comments are the truth. If you are so shallow to say that negatives are just jealously then it begs the comment that ‘fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree’ and we are getting a glimpse of this Mom is all about. People show you who they are in many ways, we just choose to ignore them, or in this case, see them. And really ‘fat ass and lazy parents’? shame on you for that. After reading this I’m totally against this Mom/Grandmother being on the Cheerleaders, she’ll kill the team.

13. Maybe your motto should be about your life, not your moms says:

“Fat ass and lazy”

How wonderful for you that you have help and support and are well enough that your family can do this. No hating on your momma there, but take it easy on those of us who are doing our damnedest to keep our heads above water. Not everyone has time to raise kids and work full time and spend that sort of time at the gym. Talk about judging, geesh.

11. Robin says:

I think she is a great inspriration to many women. The fitness and body aspect is enough for me. I am only in my 40’s and would love to look like her and have the skills and energy to accomplish such a task. I wish her the best. I hope to see her on the sidelines. Good Luck Girl, you rock!

12. Jim K says:

Wow, it’s funny, and sad the things that jealousy makes people say. Besides being smoking hot (I hate that because it sometimes portrays disrespect, but she’s gorgeous) this lady has the physical ability, moves like most 20 somethings only wish they could and has a fantastic outlook! Y’all making the goofy comments are only making yourself look goofy, and you’re hiding behind a keyboard to do it. She may not make the cut, but a lot more 20 something’s also won’t make the cut before her. I wish I had even half of her enthusiasm, energy and great outlook, and I’m a dude, 5 years younger! BTW, she’s not some couch lounging, truffle eating, watching soaps, barking at the maid kind of kept lady. She’s accomplished, she has done and is still doing…..and if I didn’t mention, gorgeous too!

1. Steve I says:

I agree. I think the ones that bad-mouth the most are jealous.

13. srvnutt says:

Is her name Sally O’Malley? Does she like to KICK, STREEEEETCH, AND KICK!!

1. Merc49 says:

hahahahahaha…made my day srvnutt

14. ppd3066 says:

Look I’m a old dude, and as an answer to Simmons question.
    it’s called. Air! The ability to breath and not worry about bringing om a sudden heart attack. As a coach no problem as a cheerleader, we need to leave that for the younger folks.

15. mx2 says:

“Absolutely no difference,” she declared.”<—- -Denial much?

1. Pablo Cervantes says:

She’s in excellent condition…for any age. But, at the end of the day, the 20 year old in excellent condition goes dancing. Sharon will go home and soak in the tub.

16. Queen Z says:

She got it going on for 55. Every 20 yr. old doesnt have a hot body. She is giving some of these young ladies a run for there money. I used to dance and was good. I think i missed my calling. If I had her body , I would try out also. Dallas and 48. Let the hateration be your motivation. You go girl

1. LibertyLover says:

You go girl? You sound like an immature moron and just the type who’s dream it is to become a cheerleader.

17. Debbi R. says:

Sharon sets high goals for herself and has worked extremely hard to get where she is. She can compete with the best of them, and I wish her all the luck in the world. She presented a fitness workshop at my place of employment on simple routines people can do, and she inspired all who attended. She’s a true believer in supporting people to get fit at whatever level they can achieve. You go, girl!

18. Terry Rooney says:

if you all think that the women involved in judging, what is essentially, a beauty contest aren’t going to be much harsher in their criticism, you’re crazy. Why does she have something to prove? That she can be as vapid and shallow as a bunch of twenty-somethings? Real women have nothing to prove. She’s fit, but that’s it.

19. Norma says:

As an avid female that keeps up with exercising my mind, body and soul, this woman has a viable chance of making the team.

20. Norma says:

Many of the these younger females have the advantage of being chosen due to their youth and that is okay. Nevertheless, it does it mean older females lack the ablity of performing at the level of those younger females. At least allow them the opportunity to prove themselves – si?

21. Rachel Smith says:

She’s hot…but not hot enough to be a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader…very tone but not pretty or young enough! Sorry!

22. James says:

Granny, Granny, Granny…Irregardless of WHAT the media says…and What you believe…55 is NOT the new 20. 30 or 40. At the end of the day you ARE still a 55 year old woman with a 55 year body that looks NOTHING like a 20 something Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader.

Plain and simple, you’re looking for attention to feed your aging ego.

1. LibertyLover says:

Agreed. I happen to prefer sophisticated classy women of age so the thought of a cheerleader at all – of any age – is unappealing to me. I hope women and men alike will begin to embrace life as it comes rather than pretend to be something they’re not. That includes being told how to act though. If she like cheerleading, fine I just know how it looks to me, which isn’t good.

23. susan says:

i am really amazed and surprised at some of these nasty comments and snide remarks, most of which seem to be coming from men..my hat is off to you ms simmons and to your daughter for defending you..by the way, i happen to know a lady who was a dallas cowboys cheerleader in the early 1980’s, and she is still a slender, beautiful woman with long dark hair, a lovely figure and a gorgeous smile! you dont necessarily lose it because you are “over 50”!!!i

24. LYN says:

You’re never too old. If she has the body to be a cheerleader what’s the PROBLEM!!!!!

25. howard says:

She sounds like a great lady. I’m wondering if she is available for a nite out, maybe dinner? Im 55 years old will be 56 in May, and have 2 grandkids. Im currently taking voice lessons to become a lounge singer. At our young age anything is possible, all you need to do is go out an grap for it. If shes interested let me know
    Howard

1. aztac says:

OMG, she’s married, dude.

26. Jim says:

Awesome looking lady. Here’s one senior Cowboy fan who’ll be looking for her next year.

27. julee says:

Nothing wrong with trying out but unrealistic to expect to make it when the judges are VERY harsh with much younger women. They judge highly on being photogenic and this woman does not look like a young “girl next door” up close. That is the look the director is constantly describing. as what they want for this team. Also, the dance style is hard for even accomplished dancers to acquire. Not your typical dance/drill team choreography. We will see what happens but I dont expect her to get into finals.She should have cotacted Kitty Carter to help her and maybe she did. IF she did, I can bet Kitty would have been brutaly honest and maybe Simmons doesnt want to hear that. Maybe this is just about publicity.

1. Jill says:

I don’t see why no one gets the REAL part of this. This isn’t something that she totally expects to happen. It’s something that she had wanted to do when she was younger but had a child and couldn’t pursue.
      It’s a dream that was not chased and she wants to do that now. It’s about actually making the attempt and knowing that, at the end of the day, you didn’t stop when you still wanted to try. It’s about having no fear…of what people will say or what the actual outcome will be.
      Here she is, setting a GREAT example for our children, about being healthy, being brave and following your dreams. On the other hand, so many on here, are showing our children that in everything you do, there will always be someone there to belittle you, throw stones, tell you that you can’t do it, etc. I feel so much pity for the children of some of these judgmental and (even) abusive people.
      Good luck Sharon! Chase the dream wherever it leads you!

28. Spirit_of_TKD says:

I hope she makes it!

29. Michael Murray says:

So many people bash cheerleading at every level, high school, college, and professional. If you pay attention, you see that the cheerleaders never stop working the entire game. The football (or basketball) players can take a time out, but the cheerleaders continue moving. So if a 55 year old grandmother(who is smoking hot by the way), a professional dance instructor as well, in pretty much perfect shape wants to be an NFL cheerleader, let her rock! She probably can assist in training the other cheerleaders in choreography as well. Let her be an inspiration for other middle age people to get off their butts and get in shape!

30. veronica goodwin says:

i wish you all the luck in the world and i will say some prayers for you i know you can do it go to it girl

31. Kyra says:

Good for you, Sharon! I will be rooting for you, all the way!!! You are beautiful, and I admire you for working to realize your dream! You are an inspiration to many! You are more healthy, and in shape, than most 20 year olds that I know! Good luck to you!!! You have a huge fan, here! : )

32. STEVE LATHAM says:

GO FOR IT,GOOD LUCK,LOOKING GREAT!!!!!!

33. Jules says:

For my part, I think it is great that she try out and wish more women like this would do so – maybe it would eventually send a message to the Pro cheerleader teams. Having seen how critical the directors are in the Cowboy organization (watch the CMT show Making the Team to get a taste of this) I doubt that Simmons will get into finals but I applaud her for trying, When I see gorgeous college cheerleaders not make the DCC team for reasons like “too thick in the middle” and the girl is a size 2, you know there are deeper problems in the DCC selection process. I also wonder if an older woman will not be accepted by the group even if she makes it.

34. Merc49 says:

Good for her to try out at her age…but being in the public eye she needs to get used to the comments….good and bad….. otherwise stay home with the grandkids!!

35. sssssss says:

she deserves a chance – at least.

36. Ana says:

She looks great, people need to stop bashing other people… Look at your own life and stop judging…… I wish I could do the same as her ! You go girl…..

37. Thomas says:

I want to do her!!

38. Brian Erickson says:

Bravo to her !
    Although the Dallas Cowboys have not been the Dallas Cowboys in years the cheerleaders remain exceptional ! I have little doubt she will make the squad as Jerry Jones loves positive publicity , something that has eluded him for sometime now.

39. vera says:

Just cause a person hits a certain age doesn’t mean they need to stand by the side line. Besides she’s probably got better coordination than the younger ones, with her shape she’s probably been working out longer than the youngens.

40. Hockey Fan says:

This is totally wrong, shame on this Grandmother aged women for trying to relive her youth. One of the comments above says shes probably got more coordination than girls half her age, well the fact is she doesn’t-it’s not humanly possible. Our minds and bodies age internally as well as externally and someone nearing Menopause shouldn’t be with the DCC. i guarantee the psyche of this organization will suffer if they allow this.

41. susan says:

this story is almost a week old and the comments keep on coming..if you truly want to see what is involved in the tryout process, pull up the dallas cowboys cheerleaders website and click on auditions..it gives the criteria..to michael and some others, the cowboys cheerleaders, as well as other professional groups,are really dancers,not cheerleaders..thats just a name. nigh school and college cheerleading teams see it more as a sport and they belong to the national cheerleading association, go to competitions , and combine gymnastic moves such as flips,pyramids,vaults etcetera in combination with some dance like moves..often the high schools will have a separate dance team ..as far as ms simmons doing choreography for the cowboys cheerleaders,as qualified as she is, she would have to fight the woman who does it now for the job because they have only one and she is very strict as to the moves she wants done..keep in mind this is not just a “fun” little group of women..this is a business that is part of the dallas cowboys organization..i still applaud ms simmons for trying out..she must be a remarkable woman…

1. Jules says:

I could not have said it better! Has Simmons watched the Making the Team Show? Everyone who makes it to finals is pretty and slim and fit and most of them are eliminated at that point. even former DCC cheerleaders. I agree that Ms. Simmons is to be commended for trying out as a personal goal. There have been others in her age bracket who tried out and were great dancers in beautiful shape and they did not get past stage 1. I have known some of those ladies personally. I am appalled anyone thinks Simmons could do choreography for the DCC. I believe you need to have been one in the past to ever choreograph or direct the team. I agree with Hockey Fans comments too – just can’t have this huge age difference in the team. I also don’t think Jerry Jones or Charlotte would allow it – they would see it as negative publicity.

42. Eric says:

I’d play with her pom poms…

43. Dave In Plano says:

As a red-blooded 57 year old guy, I hope she makes it, because she has what it takes. Good luck!

44. Stuck in the Past says:

I’m sorry to say, but this woman is thirty years too late. It’s great that she still has passion and ambition, and I’m happy for her, for having that – confidence, determination, but in today’s tough industry and corporate governance, there’s still the stigma of being “too old” , or “washed out”. Perhaps sticking to being a grandma is whats best for her, so she won’t loose her pride when the judges come around.

Comments are closed.