CORPUS CHRISTI (AP) - A big-wheeled taxi inspired by monster-style trucks has been making the sandy rounds at a Southeast Texas beach.
Dan Steifel with Green-N-Go Cab in Corpus Christi says he spent about $50,000 to upgrade the taxi to maneuver in sand.
Steifel said Wednesday that it took about four months to complete the taxi, which debuted this week during spring break. The vehicle has a 2002 Ford Crown Victoria body atop what had been a 1983 Ford pickup.
According to the Corpus Christi Caller-Times, the body of the vehicle is nearly 3 feet off the ground. Oversized tires help with maneuvering.
Steifel says passengers summoning cabs previously had to meet the taxis on the nearest paved road. His new monster cab plows through sand and goes directly to customers.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Police Given Direct Line To Cell Phone Searches
- Viewers Get Phone Bill Credits After CBS 11 Investigation
- Justin Bieber Tweets Out Dallas Phone Number
- Carjacking Victim Wants Dog Back For Special Needs Brother
- Texas Nurse Accused Of Killing Patients With Bleach IVs