DEL RIO (AP) – A Texas man caught trying to smuggle baby parrots back from Mexico by putting the birds in his pants has been fined more than $2,600.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials said Thursday that agents in Del Rio also confiscated 56 blades that are used for cockfighting.
Authorities said the 33-year-old man is from the West Texas town of Comanche but did not release his name.
Birds cannot be brought across the border due to concerns of spreading disease.
The small, green parrots were found Sunday in the man’s pockets and in his backpack.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- PD: Lewisville Man Kills Wife After Dog Defecates In House
- Charges Against JetBlue Captain Suspected Of In-Flight Disturbance
- Dallas Snake Sighting Prompts Park Warning
- 48,000 Sq. Ft. Texas Mansion Heads To Auction
- Perfect Attendance Will Equal New Car For FWISD Student