FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — Fort Worth police have arrested the parents of a 9-month-old baby they say died after swallowing stolen prescription drugs.
Nineteen-year-old Robert Ellrey Ray and 22-year-old Miranda Nicole Pauli, both of Watauga, Texas, were arrested Thursday on charges of criminal negligent homicide. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports the parents said on Facebook their daughter, Zoey Marie Stewart, had died Jan. 23 of sudden infant death syndrome.
Police say toxicology tests found the child died of acute oxycodone intoxication. They say Zoey swallowed stolen prescription drugs that spilled on the floor.
Sgt. Jim Thomson says witnesses described Zoey as playful before the pills were dropped, and “tired and groggy afterward.” He says the parents didn’t seek medical treatment when Zoey’s condition changed or advise medical personnel she may have swallowed pills.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)