Local

Burned Dallas Home Gets Demolished

View Comments
(credit: KTVT/KTXA) Stephanie Lucero
Stephanie is an Emmy Award winning veteran reporter for CBS 11 N...
Read More

From Our CBS Music Web Sites

453641528 10 Burned Dallas Home Gets DemolishedAdorbale Baby Animals To Put A Smile On Your Face

christmas on kluv dl Burned Dallas Home Gets DemolishedListen To Christmas Music

176461204 10 Burned Dallas Home Gets DemolishedWomen With Santa

 alt=Musicians Then And Now II

452359780 10 Burned Dallas Home Gets DemolishedMissing Summer?

sx Burned Dallas Home Gets Demolished Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

img01149 20120709 0957 Burned Dallas Home Gets Demolished

A home in Dallas is set to be demolished on July 9, 2012, after being destroyed by fire on July 4, 2012. (credit: KTVT/KTXA)

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The home now at the center of a Dallas 911 controversy has been demolished.

Monday morning demolition crews tore down the remains of the home, owned by Horace and Dora Fuller, after the City of Dallas said that the house must be demolished as soon as possible, because the remains were a threat to public safety.

Investigators with Dallas Fire-Rescue said they have a preliminary cause for the fire than destroyed the home in the 1900 block of Berwick Street, in the east Oak Cliff area, but that finding has not yet been released.

The fire started early in the morning of July 4 and quickly spread throughout the structure before firefighters even arrived. Dora Fuller said that she is disappointed in the amount of time that it took for firefighters to respond, despite nearly 200 calls made to 911 attempting to report the blaze that morning. Most of those calls were unable to get through to an operator.

Monday morning Dallas city councilman Dwaine Caraway told CBS 11 News that Mayor Mike Rawlings has asked that the 911 response to the fire be analyzed by the city. City leaders want to know why it took so long for 911 operators to dispatch fire crews to the scene.

After the fire inspectors said the structure was unstable and pointed specifically to a portion of the roof that was leaning on a tree, as well as an unsupported rock chimney, that extended 10 feet above the roof.

The Fullers and their 35-year-old mentally challenged son all got out of the house safely after the fire started. The family had been living in the home since the 1970s. Everything they owned has been lost, aside from a few photographs.

The Fullers live on social security and say they don’t know if they can afford to rebuild and don’t know where they’re going to live in the meantime.

Also Check Out:

View Comments